Backblaze.com: encrypted online backup UNLIMITED for only $6/month (or less)

Started by Darren Dirt, June 26, 2019, 12:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

Quote from: https://www.lifewire.com/backblaze-review-2617894
Backblaze lets you backup an unlimited amount of data from a single computer with no restriction on individual file type or size.

Backblaze, like all online backup services, backs up existing data automatically when it's changed, as well as new data when added to a location you've chosen to back up.

This means that every piece of important data you have is kept backed up to Backblaze's servers without any action on your part after the initial setup.

Month to Month: $6.00 /month; 1 Year: $60.00 ($5.00 /month); 2 Years: $110.00 ($4.58 /month).

Backblaze isn't messing around with their pricing.

There's only one plan to choose, and it offers unlimited online backup space.

I find it quite amazing that, for just $95, you can get a 2-year insurance plan for every bit of the most valuable stuff you own?your information. Some online backup plans from other services run two or three times that much.

I almost didn't mention price first, considering that it's Backblaze's incredible simplicity that has won me over more than anything.

https://www.backblaze.com/cloud-backup.html
https://www.backblaze.com/backup-pricing.html

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Thorin

Important to note that this is mirroring with delayed delete, not archiving, so if you delete a file from your machine and don't notice within 30 days, it won't be available on BackBlaze anymore.  Still, quite cheap and if I'd had this running when my Drobo died I would've been back in business already.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on June 26, 2019, 02:27:35 PM
Important to note that this is mirroring with delayed delete, not archiving, so if you delete a file from your machine and don't notice within 30 days, it won't be available on BackBlaze anymore.  Still, quite cheap and if I'd had this running when my Drobo died I would've been back in business already.

I am relatively sure that this specific service is ONLY for workstations via the software client.. I am not sure you can use it to backup remote drives.

They have a B2 service for NAS and larger jobs that has costs for GB and cost per GB downloaded.

Thorin

It does allow backing up of connected external drives, although I have no doubt they draw the line at network attached storage.  But if I had that, I would set up a backup from the Drobo "Shared_Documents" share I had set up to a drive on my computer, then set that drive to get backed up to BackBlaze.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

I wonder if it would detect a VM given a virtual fs pointing to my nas? :D
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Lazybones

Doing some quick checks on reddit for those that have tried to game it.

- local drives only
- can only restore 500gb at a time via their web UI

It really is targeted at workstations.

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on June 26, 2019, 09:40:28 PM
Doing some quick checks on reddit for those that have tried to game it.

- local drives only
- can only restore 500gb at a time via their web UI

It really is targeted at workstations.
Ah, so if it doesn't directly notice that its in a VM, the whole 500gb limit to restoring would stifle a restore. But thats still a terrific plan for people that can use it. its basically a big FU to the basic Dropbox and MS cloud plans.

Once my income is rock stable again I need to start paying for decent cloud storage/backup. I'm thinking I might go backblaze, or a combination of AWS's bulk and cold storage options. I would NOT be backing up all like 9TB of crap I have. Probably just the (so far) 26GB daily snapshot, and a large fraction of my /data/images and /data/documents folders. (images has all our videos and photos, but not everything in there would likely get backed up unless it was too much trouble to sort lololol).
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Tom on June 27, 2019, 07:38:28 AM
a terrific plan for people that can use it. its basically a big FU to the basic Dropbox and MS cloud plans.

Yup!

That is why I shared it.

I have an external 2TB that I keep forgetting to plug in and do a delta.
My /data/ is about 1TB total but a big chunk of that is unchanging stuff that I wouldn't cry about if lost ... so I am the perfect target audience for BB looks like. A typical lazy person, reasonable size of important-to-me data but I don't torrent :)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.