Has anyone ever played in the old Mystara setting?

Started by Thorin, February 17, 2005, 10:47:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

I'm trying to get a sense of how well known this old setting is.  I know there are avid players out there trying to keep it alive, and even trying to convert it to 3.0.  However, I consider you people closer to the average gamer.

So, do you remember adventuring in the Grand Duchy of Karameikos?  Or traveling through the Republic of Darokin to get to Alfheim?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Melbosa

Not I... only reference I have even remotely close to the word Mystara is the Goddess of Magic in Forgotten Realms settings.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Ustauk

I think I had an intro box set in Mystara, but my group never got past it, so we never learned much about it.  I believe I also read a book set in Mystara.

Thorin

Quote from: "Melbosa"Not I... only reference I have even remotely close to the word Mystara is the Goddess of Magic in Forgotten Realms settings.
You're thinking of Mystryl, who was destroyed in the Year of the Sundered Webs (you'll have to scroll down to the year -339) by Karsus the arcanist when he cast Karsus' Avatar and absorbed Mystryl's power.  Karsus became a god with a single spell, and then realized what he'd done, then sacrificed himself so that Mystra could be born.  Mystra immediately started controlling The Weave (the source of all magic), but in those few moments between Karsus' sacrifice and Mystra's birth, all magic ceased and thousands of inhabitants of Abeir-Toril died.

Amazingly, I've only read three of the Forgotten Realms books :)
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Melbosa

Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Bryan

actually i just finished reading the elminster series (forgotten realms) and the goddess of magic is called Mystra

never mind, re-read what Thorin said.

-----> http://www.stickdeath.com/ <-----
click on "Martyr Machine" f'n hilarious!!!!