Build a Computerized Android Robot Head for $600

Started by Darren Dirt, April 26, 2005, 03:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

"How to Build a Computerized Android Robot Head for $600"

Reminds me of that other thread on here showing the 30-foot-tall Transformer-like robot.

Or sorry, I mean robut.

http://howtoandroid.com/HowToBuildRobotHead.html

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

It's only cool if it can become "interactive" with some of the sites I visit late at night...

:o

(j/k)  :lol:  
By Grabthar's Hammer

Shayne

Quote from: "Mr. Analog"(j/k)  :lol:
ya....right  :unsure:  :unsure:  :unsure:  :unsure:  :unsure:  :unsure:  :unsure:  

Darren Dirt

Quote from: "Mr. Analog"It's only cool if it can become "interactive" with some of the sites I visit late at night...

:o

(j/k)  :lol:
whatavisionary:
Quote"I've been working with computers since 1986 doing software development, system building, System Administration and performance tuning. After 13 years in computing, I've concluded that the keyboard/mouse/screen combination is not the ideal computer for all tasks. My vision of an ideal computer for certain tasks is one that looks more inviting, such as a physical head/face/eyes combination with spatial, social and temporal awareness. Conversation, eye-contact, and gestures replace the keybd and mouse, which are relegated to fall-back. In this vision of an Ideal Computer a user has a stimulating conversation with a physical android robot head. The robot uses audio, gestures and may even show pictures on a screen to convey information. Towards that end, I've prototyped Robot Maxamilian to study and experiment with this idea.

I like the scenarios at the end (and expanded on their own page).

There's lotsa morea info linked froma his homea pagea, for eample the impressive "M1" programming algorithm ideas, and a 1.8mb mpeg (the AVI is a more compatible format) showing RMax In Motion, a brief vision etc.

Perhaps in our lifetime, robuts will be humanity's new slave class ;)

* stands still in order to better hear quiet voice in background soothily say in a slight Londoner accent "...glad to be of service..." *

* jumps with surprise after hearing Bender's voice spouting profanities *

PS: Dammit, why don't we have domestic robots already? As children, weren't we promised flying cars and robots? Where are the gorram flying cars and robots! This isn't the future I was told to look forward to when I was a child! Ah the bitter pill of reality, curing the disease of youthful idealism...

Lazybones

They are here, you just need to be a millionair and live in Japan. ASIMO is very impressive

Mr. Analog

Quote from: "Shayne"
Quote from: "Mr. Analog"(j/k)  :lol:
ya....right  :unsure:  :unsure:  :unsure:  :unsure:  :unsure:  :unsure:  :unsure:
Gah, if you have ever watched Lexx you know how wrong a robot head can be...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Quote from: "Lazybones"They are here, you just need to be a millionair and live in Japan. ASIMO is very impressive
I can think of a lot more fun things to do if I were a millionaire in Japan!

You and you! Fight to the Death!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tonnica

I think we all know where this kind of technological development will lead us. Wacky crime solving adventures with the robot head, and at the end of the series he finally gets his own body!

"They're getting away!"
"You don't have to yell. I'm right next to you. I'll hack their Google Maps and lead them straight for the docks."

"I can see, these sewers are too dark!"
"Here, let me shed some light on the subject." (on comes the blue LEDs in the computer case)

"Cover me, robot head."
"Lead them my way. They'll never expect it when I bite their feet."

Only slightly too hard to believe because of having to tote around the PC attatched to the robot head all the time. But it's hard bitten cop drama with the dry cool wit of a WiFi internet accessible robot head. Who can say no? (answer: everyone as it's a rather weak premise)

Darren Dirt

Sounds like the first draft (never aired, too "British", apparently) of the pilot episode of this show.

Hey, hey is that the dad from Happy Days? TOM! TOM BOSLEY! *ducks behind newspaper*