New Show: Supernatural

Started by Ustauk, September 14, 2005, 09:32:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ustauk

Just thought I'd give a mini-review of a new show I saw on A-Channel last night, called Supernatural.  I thought it was pretty good.  It had a few rough edges, but I think it also has some potential.  The show follows two brothers, who were raised by their father to hunt all the things that go bump in the night.  I particularly like the banter between the two brothers,who have very different personalities.  I also like the fact that, other then their upbringing, they are two normal guys, with no vampire blood or other supernatural powers to draw on.  Plus, the show has some genuinely creepy moments.  Anyways, it may not be everyone's cup'o'tea, but some of you may like it.

Tonnica

Thanks for posting about this show. This looks like it's right up my alley (paranormal investigation, back-roads, average joes battling powers from beyond, cute guys) and I probably wouldn't have even known it existed for the amount of TV I watch.

A short blurb about the show can be found on the A-Channel site here:

http://www.citytv.com/edmonton/tvshows_14579.aspx

Shayne

Psi Factor: Chronicles of the Paranormal ?

Ustauk

Quote from: "Shayne"Psi Factor: Chronicles of the Paranormal ?

Although both shows deal with normal humans dealing with the paranormal/supernatural, that's about all they have in common.  Psi Factor was about a concerted organization that had a lot of manpower and cash to investigate, not necessarily destroy, paranormal phenomena.  Supernatural is about two young brothers running around in a old  muscle car(with a cassette deck, much to the younger brother's chagrin), using false names to scam credit cards to get enough bread to live while they hunt down and destroy all the nasties the rest of the world turns a blind eye to.  Plus, they have a much more personal reason to do the hunting then the people of Psi-Factor do, as you'll see if you...acquire the first episode someplace :cough:alt.binaries.tv:cough: :)

Shayne

I saw the previews on CityTV, the upcoming larger budget shows interest me more...mainly "Threshold" and "Invasion" (and im addicted to "Prison Break" already) ...3 shows, 3 networks (odd?)

Darren Dirt

Quote from: "Ustauk"Just thought I'd give a mini-review of a new show I saw on A-Channel last night, called Supernatural.  I thought it was pretty good.  It had a few rough edges, but I think it also has some potential.  The show follows two brothers, who were raised by their father to hunt all the things that go bump in the night.  I particularly like the banter between the two brothers,who have very different personalities.  I also like the fact that, other then their upbringing, they are two normal guys, with no vampire blood or other supernatural powers to draw on.  Plus, the show has some genuinely creepy moments.  Anyways, it may not be everyone's cup'o'tea, but some of you may like it.

...Sounds a bit like "Mysterious Ways" meets "Two and a Half Men" ;)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Darren Dirt

Quote from: "Tonnica"Thanks for posting about this show. This looks like it's right up my alley (paranormal investigation, back-roads, average joes battling powers from beyond, cute guys) and I probably wouldn't have even known it existed for the amount of TV I watch.

A short blurb about the show can be found on the A-Channel site here:

http://www.citytv.com/edmonton/tvshows_14579.aspx

FYI: IMDB links for those 2 guys, relatively new unknowns, although one seemed to be a regular on The 'Creek a few years ago (sorry, Mel, for bringing it up, I know it's a painful association ;)

Oh, and PS: If you keep your browser on the A-Channel page for about 30 seconds, a big scary ghoul jumps out at you and screams like those annoying car commercials.  :?

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Shayne

Season 1 on DVD came out a week ago.  I picked up at Future Shop for around the $50 range.

Ustauk

Quote from: Shayne on September 26, 2006, 07:22:24 AM
Season 1 on DVD came out a week ago.  I picked up at Future Shop for around the $50 range.
Nice on topic thread resurrection Shayne.  To continue the necromancy, the second season starts on Thursday on the CW, with showings as follows
on local cable.

Thursday
Date  Time  Channel 
9/28/2006  7:00PM  62 WPIX 
9/28/2006  8:00PM  240 CITY 
9/28/2006  10:00PM  60 KTLA

Friday
9/29/2006  8:00PM  43 SPACEC 

Monday
10/2/2006  10:00PM  9 ACCNET 

I'll probably download it, since I don't want to wait till Monday to watch it on my basic cable.

Shayne

Quote from: Ustauk on September 26, 2006, 09:01:07 AMNice on topic thread resurrection Shayne.

I recalled a topic on this show, did a search and it was first on the list.  I probably caught 6 or 7 episodes from the first season (wasnt really sure when it was on, but good watching when I did fluke out and find it).  Saw it on the new arrivals shelf and picked it up.  Also grabbed Threshold (the complete series) and Invasion (the complete series).

Tonnica

Man, I gotta look in HMV again today to see if they've got a copy of the 1st season box set. I've been looking for it and either the places I've been have sold out or haven't gotten it in yet.

Ustauk

Quote from: Tonnica on September 26, 2006, 01:06:42 PM
Man, I gotta look in HMV again today to see if they've got a copy of the 1st season box set. I've been looking for it and either the places I've been have sold out or haven't gotten it in yet.
The Future Shop website shows the set instock at Clairview, downtown, and southside.  The data's probably a day old, but it'd be worth calling to check out.

Tonnica

Quote from: Ustauk on September 26, 2006, 01:22:53 PMThe Future Shop website shows the set instock at Clairview, downtown, and southside.  The data's probably a day old, but it'd be worth calling to check out.

Ha! That's funny because I was at the Clairview Future Shop on saturday and apparently they hadn't even gotten it yet. It could be they got copies in on sunday (or early monday) and I missed it by that much.

Ah well, this time for sure! (pulls a lion out of a top hat)

Wrong hat!