Xbox 360 ... FINALLY

Started by Shayne, November 22, 2005, 07:49:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cova

Ya - I also just came across a bunch of reports of people with unstable 360's.  Let us know Shayne if you have any problems at all with yours.

And thanks for the tip about that Rogers - I'll give 'em a call in a moment but since they opened hours ago they're prolly sold already.  If anyone does come across one for sale though (the $500 package, not interested in the core package, not interested in prices way above MSRP either) put it on hold for me and gimme a call.  PM me or call Melbosa for my cell #, or e-mail me @ work @ robbaum at nait dot ca and the message will be forwarded to my blackberry.

Shayne

Ive put in about 10 hours of gaming so far, no issues (played 4 differnet games (PGR3, PD0, Madden 2006, CoD2). PS2 release issues after doing a bit of research it seems that the GameCube released basically problem free (top loading tray, no dvd playback).

With the rushed timeline, etc.   Im not suprised.  Also having the units shipped during the more cold and humid time of the year might also be cause for concern.  Im also sorta curious to the actual failure rate percentage.

However i do have one complaint.  When i have a controller plugged into the charger, and i turn on the xbox, no matter what i do the one plugged in always gets the player 1 position.  If i turn off that controller throught he gui, turn on the second controller its still in player 2.  The work around is to unplug the charged one turn it on, activate the one you want, reconnect to the charger.

The controllers cannot be charged while the unit is off as well.

Mr. Analog

Early adopters always get burned. I waited a year before I got my PS2.

Come to think of it, I've never had a problem with any Nintendo hardware. Other than the lameness of "The Glove" but that was built in.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: "Mr. Analog"Early adopters always get burned. I waited a year before I got my PS2.

Come to think of it, I've never had a problem with any Nintendo hardware. Other than the lameness of "The Glove" but that was built in.

You never had to blow into your NES carts? That seemed to be a common problem. But Ya, I have to agree Nintendo hardware has been fairly fault free. The only other one might be the GBA dark screen.

Cova

I've had lots of NES-related problems, but to be fair I think they are all caused through years of abuse, not a defect in the product.  Everything from blowing in cartridges, controller-buttons that take more and more pressure to activate, and eventually stop working, etc.  The NES does still work, which is impressive, but only 1 controller still has all usable buttons, and the unit will only boot games loaded through the game-genie, not when they're inserted and clicked into the down position.

Also - I just put some $ down at EB on a 360 (everywhere else is refusing to take pre-orders on any future shipments).  But I'm still interested if anyone hears of one for sale somewhere - I'd like to have the unit before xmas, and the waiting list at EB is potentially into febuary.  I did confirm with the EB dudes that I can get my deposit money back if I find one for sale elsewhere earlier - I don't think they're afraid of having too many in stock that they can't get rid of.

Brendan

you see, I'm playing it smart. I'm waiting until February (when i have money), when all the hype goes down and I can actually ff ind one in store :)

Melbosa

Quote from: "Brendan"you see, I'm playing it smart. I'm waiting until February (when i have money), when all the hype goes down and I can actually ff ind one in store :)

Hehe my plan exactly.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Cova

/shrug - I have money now, and a serious craving for some PGR3 action.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: "Lazybones"
Quote from: "Mr. Analog"Early adopters always get burned. I waited a year before I got my PS2.

You never had to blow into your NES carts? That seemed to be a common problem. But Ya, I have to agree Nintendo hardware has been fairly fault free. The only other one might be the GBA dark screen.

Oddly no, my cartrige lever never even got squeaky. I sold my NES about 10 years ago, I misses it I does.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Shayne

<- the only kid in school with a SMS and not an NES

Lazybones

Quote from: "Shayne"<- the only kid in school with a SMS and not an NES

I had the SMS, and the 3D flicker glasses.. Everyone else had an NES, and blew on there cards all the time.

Choplifter, Shiobie, Hangon, Afterburner.. those where the days.

Shayne

Space Harrier was the death of me.  I played so many hours of that damn game.

---

If you have a defective Xbox you can call Microsofts toll free troubleshooting hotline where they will take you info, send you a pre-paid shipping box.  Once they recieve your unit they will send you another.  They claim that when you hang up the phone it triggers a system that will have you a new machine within 5 business days.

Impressive if it works.  At least Microsoft is stepping up to the plate with what i concider a fantastic policy other then the typically expected "take it back to the place you bought it."

Lazybones

Over heating PSU's might be the cause of some crashing..

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=23998153&page=0

Funny since the power cable and PSU where the cause of fires with the old ones.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: "Lazybones"Over heating PSU's might be the cause of some crashing..

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=23998153&page=0

Funny since the power cable and PSU where the cause of fires with the old ones.

Recycled parts?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Shayne

My PSU is at the back of my stand out of site, pretty much right below the TVs Vent, its warm, but not all that warm.  Could very well be the PSU though, but ive read reports of it being memory related.