Does this suprise any of you??

Started by Zapata Prime, January 04, 2006, 05:48:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zapata Prime

If there is one thing that Mahatma Gandhi stands for its REVENGE!!

Mr. Analog

Cold / crappy winters + a lot of peeps on broadband = teh steal! :)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

It's OK we already payed our levy because every one of us uses our recordable media to store music right?

We have a well funded puppet in government as well  http://www.michaelgeist.ca/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1058&Itemid=89&nsub=

Thorin

Quote from: "ZapataPrime?"Saw this article today and thought it was pretty funny.. Only because it's true.

Given RIAA's propensity to lie about revenues and CD sales and to use fuzzy math, and given that CRIA is closely aligned with RIAA, I doubt very much the veracity of the numbers presented in that article.  The writer of the article doesn't show any sign of having separately verified the numbers or the math - he's just repeating verbatim what CRIA's president is telling him.  Gee, so much for independent news sources.

That Canada shares more files per capita is certainly possible, but I doubt that CRIA has actually invested the kind of money in proper studies that would be required to prove this.  Even then, however, it's a leap of blind faith to say that all or almost all files are copyrighted material.  For instance, it is quite common these days to distribute new Linux distros via BitTorrent.  BitTorrent is usually considered a filesharing program, and thus these people would be considered file sharers.  But hey, the Linux distro is allowed to be shared!

Anyway, just because CRIA says it's so doesn't make it true.  Just ask judge Von Finckenstein.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Cova

Quote from: "Lazybones"It's OK we already payed our levy because every one of us uses our recordable media to store music right?

We have a well funded puppet in government as well  http://www.michaelgeist.ca/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1058&Itemid=89&nsub=

First off, it doesn't suprise me at all that Canada has the highest per-capita rate of downloading music from the internet - it is legal here (due in part to the levy mentioned above), so why not download?  It is NOT "illegal downloading" or "stealing" - the RIAA and CRIA just like to label it that way in order to confuse the issue and try to get people to buy their music.  Of course, even here in Canada it is illegal to upload music, so many people probably are breaking various laws - but the downloaders are not responsible for other people illegally uploading.

Second - Michael Geist is not a "well funded puppet in government".  I'm not sure what his wages are as a law professor - though I am fairly certain he receives no "contributions" to post the things he says on his site.  And I know he's not a part of government - he's a law professor at the university of ottawa.  His site makes up one of the 10 or so that I visit on an almost daily basis (he usually updates every couple days), and is an excellent source of information on issues such as copyright, privacy, etc. based on Canadian laws rather than american or elsewhere - I highly recommend it to anyone else interested in these issues.

Lazybones

Quote from: "Cova"
Second - Michael Geist is not a "well funded puppet in government".  I'm not sure what his wages are as a law professor - though I am fairly certain he receives no "contributions" to post the things he says on his site.  And I know he's not a part of government - he's a law professor at the university of ottawa.  His site makes up one of the 10 or so that I visit on an almost daily basis (he usually updates every couple days), and is an excellent source of information on issues such as copyright, privacy, etc. based on Canadian laws rather than american or elsewhere - I highly recommend it to anyone else interested in these issues.

Did you follow the link? its an story BY Michael Geist About  Sam Bulte's riding being HEAVILY funded by the industry.

QuoteAs with the January fundraiser, it is becoming increasingly clear that the pro-stronger copyright lobby is a major Bulte backer.  From what I can find on the Elections Canada site, consider that Bulte's riding association received contributions during this period from the following groups:

* Access Copyright

* Association Of Canadian Publishers

* Canadian Film & television Production Association

* Canadian Musical Reproduction Rights Agency

* Canadian Publisher's Council

* Canadian Non-Theatrical Film & Video Corp.

* Professional Association of Canadian Theatres

* Professional Photographers of Canada

* SOCAN

Cova

Yes - Sam Bulte would be the "well funded puppet in government" - however for the evil side.  Michael Geist works for the good side - he publishes a damn lot of stuff like that on his site.

Shayne