Gears of War Gold - For REAL

Started by Melbosa, October 25, 2006, 12:48:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

Managed to take a peak at a few videos that suddenly appeared on the net yesterday.. The game looks kick ass.

Melbosa

Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Shayne

Well, I scored my copy from EB after all.  Thank god i went there now when I had a few moments, the bitch who put my brother and I down put us in for the French version :P  The guy switched us to the English and checked the system, the same girl had 5 others down for the French as well.  So i think copies of GoW at EB Clairview are gonna be rather thin seeing as they had very few on the shelf to begin with, and now 5 less then that.

TheDruid

Scored mine at the downtown EB at about 10:00am today. Its funny, i walked in and asked for a copy, the tard behind the desk said it wasn’t in. So i said "Can i put my name down for one", he said that i have to do it as a pre-order with money down, "fine, here's five bucks" i said. So he processed the receipt and was about to had it to me, just as his co-worker came walking to the till with a stack of GoW in his hand. "Er, i'd like to redeem my pre-order now" i said as the tard EB employee rolled his eyes :D

I got in right when it opened, when I left the line there was like 20 guys behind me, apparently they had about 50 non preorder copies available, so the picking *could* still be good. But then again downtown EB is probably the busiest so I wouldn’t hold my breath on it.
I only drink the blood of my enemies, and on occasion a strawberry smoothie.

Shayne

We are going to have to get some co-op in over Live.  A few achievements are only gettable by playing as the tag along second guy in the campaign.

Melbosa

Got mine at the 137Ave and St. Albert Trail (almost) EB location.  Guy had about 10 for sale that weren't preorders.  Cova got his there too.  Best Buy said they weren't getting theirs until tomorrow.

Shayne

Well, after giving it about an hour.  WOW.  The cover system is okay, not as good as R6:V, really forces you to use it.

Running + Gunning = Death Sentence.

Some objectives are confusing, i don't know of its rust, but also extremely challenging.

Graphics are everything people say, absolutely stunning and shows what this generation of consoles is all about.  The game has so much polish and so much character.  Even the pro-typical space marine is pretty damn cool.  Has those cheesy one liners but really fit the type of game it is.

The reload system is pretty slick (rather easy as i already got both reload achievements), and i think it would suit many games.

I havent noticed any sort of frame rate issues, seems rock solid at 30.

Melbosa

What can I say but ^&*^ yeah!  What a great game.  Only done the first Chapter so far, but man is it an intense game.  The reload thing is a bit hard on my small TV (always seem to miss the flash for reload while in a fight as I'm so enthralled on the action in front of me), but I manage to get about every 3rd or so in.  I love FPS games with cover.  Best addition to FPS in a long time.

Your right Shayne, no cover tactics means death.  But its sweet when you do use them.  The Satellite weapon took me about 3 tries to figure out before I got it (yeah died 3 times).  And man is that revolver powerful if you aim it just right :P. So far only found 2 dog tags... yeah I know I such.  But what is reply for if not to better yourself :P.

So far I give this a 10/10 for story and action.  Even the vocals aren't bad.

Well bed for me, see if I get more in tomorrow :D.

TheDruid

So much for focusing on Oblivion. I gave it a try with the intent on just a taste to come back to after I made significant progress on Oblivion... that’s not going to happen now, this game blew me away. Couldn’t stop until i finished the first chapter.

Shayne is right by skipping the first difficulty and playing on hardcore, you get double the achievements (since you earn the easy ones at the same time). Things are harder to kill, and MAN did i die a lot. There was this one area where you around that round fountain and the enemies keep coming, but to top it all off there’s a enemy on the turret gun (Man i hate those guys), took me almost an hour to pass.

Cover as mentioned is done really well, which is good because that’s the only way you live  :-[
Hip shooting as Shayne put it = death. but like the guy said in the booklet, he was playing paintball and noticed that no one was strafing, jumping around in a circle etc. Everyone was taking cover, peaking around corners, moving from bunker to bunker, and anyone who plays paintball knows running out into the open shooting from the hip is the best way to go down, and it wont take long. GoW feels the same way  :D

i love the chainsaw kill in those rare instances when an enemy gets up-close and personal, very satisfying kill. Although, every kill in this game is satisfying, it takes a lot to bring these monsters down and every kill is a satisfying small victory.

Spoiler

I got goose bumps when that big humanoid creature came out grabbed your sergeant Kim and lifted him up by the neck and stuck im with that big blade. But hey you got promoted over it :P
[close]
Turn the lights down low and the sound up, its worth it. The game defiantly throws in a few scenes that will make you jump.

HD TV is really showing its goods with this game, i have never seen a game look this good, not even on PC. There is absolutely no lag what so ever either, and im still outputting in unconverted 1080p, haven’t tried switching to 720p yet to see the difference... if any.

If you haven’t bought this game yet, GO BUY IT! If you don’t have an XBOX 360 yet, GO BUY ONE! and get GoW... NOW!

After shutting the game down, i noticed that my auto downloader pulled down Contra LOL gave it a quick run, MAN i went from playing the Best FPS to date to playing a side scrolling shooter, holy crap, don’t try this at home kids :D

Its amassing how far video games have come in the last 15 years.
I only drink the blood of my enemies, and on occasion a strawberry smoothie.

Shayne

Couldn't agree more with both of you two.  Its been a very long time since a game just grabbed me from the minute I put it in and loaded it up.  As I was talking with Druid lastnight, even factoring in PC, I have not seen a game that looks as good as GoW, only Crysis might come close, but even then to see GoW in action is to question all you know about games :)

Blind firing has helped me a lot, especially if you find yourself pinned down from 2 or 3 directions.

*** SPOILER ***
2 areas that got me hung up for 8-10 deaths in the first chapter are the round fountain area (having to close those 4 insurgent holes) and inside the house their is a guy with a turret to the left and a small elevated shack on the right side (i didn't realize that you could enter that shack and gut the area from above)
*** END SPOILER ***

I hadn't got a chance to finish the first chapter yet, but I know im at the end of it as its a sort of boss battle.

GoW has spoiled me, its going to be tough to compare anything to it.

Melbosa

The last games that I lost myself in was the MoH and CoD games.  The stories and intensity of most of those games got to me something terrible. But never would I have thought a futuristic style one would come close to the Halo grip again.  GoW is that game.  Feels like Halo for the first time all over again.

Cova

I still haven't gotten a chance to take my copy out of the shrink-wrap yet - but I plan to be home playing it today pretty much all night once I get home from work.  The co-op part does sound interesting, a good co-op game might finally convince me to upgrade to live gold.

Lazybones

Atomic Gamer gives it 96% and includes some nice high res screen shots for those of us without a 360.

Shayne

As of right now, Gears of War is the 23rd highest rated game of all time.  Not to shabby.

Melbosa

Wow, EA sure hits hard at GoW: http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=69805

QuoteSpeaking in a panel discussion at the Montr?al Games Summit, Tascan said, "What is Gears of War? I mean Gears of War brings nothing in terms of innovation to the shooter... Like, zero.