Xbox 360 problems

Started by Cova, November 01, 2006, 10:06:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cova

I'm currently having 2 problems after the dash update...

1. 1080p support not working.  I've now got every output kit that MS makes for the 360 here, and I cannot get 1080p to work on my 1080p TV.  I phoned HP, and the idiot on the other side insisted my TV was fine - obviously both the 360 AND the PC I've connected to the VGA input on the TV are broken and are not sending a proper signal.  So right now I'm running the 360 at 1360x768 which is the highest resolution selection available that works.  I could switch back to the component kit for 1080i I suppose, but in the long run I want VGA to work as there's no DVD upscaling over component.

2. Streaming video with Media Player 11 does not work.  In fact, since upgrading to media player 11 picture and music streaming stopped working too.  I called MS about this one, and they couldn't fix it.  I did learn that using a gigabit switch to connect the 360 to a PC is not supported, only routers and crossover-cables.  I also learned that MS is having a LOT of problems with this dash update, and that they will likely be releasing a patch for it in the near future.

I complained to MS about the 1080p thing too - apparently that is one of the big problems in the dash update that they have to fix.  There is some type of timing issue that only affects certain models/brands of TVs.

Guess I'll go finish rebuilding my HTPC - it doesn't have the CPU power to display 1080p content without dropping frames (or even 1080i in any codec more advanced than MPEG2), but at least it can stream music and SD video over the network and output it at 1080p60.

Lazybones

You are not alone... Could have been worse.. It could have bricked your 360, however most of the bricked ones where modded.
http://www.engadget.com/2006/11/01/xbox-360-update-bricking-consoles/

As for the gigabit, isn't the 360 a 10/100 device? You might want to check that your gigabit nic on your PC is not set to use JUMBO frames, I would aslo troubleshoot by forcing it down to 100 FULL mode to see if the video smooths out.

I know on our new managed switches at the office they have specific settings to aliviate speed issues between gigabit and 10/100 devices. I can only assume your home gigabit switch is not managed.

Shayne

Ya, that patch turned out to be a little tricky.  They are to have an update out in the next 12/24 hours.  I'm glad to report that on my end everything works great.

I can stream video and music to my 360 (i'm not using Windows Media Player 11) and so far the best application I have found for converting video is called WinAVI ($30 to buy, or you can find a serial in certain places), its quick, can queue, nice and friendly UI and supports every video I've thrown at it.  Give it an B+.

Cova

Quote from: Lazybones on November 01, 2006, 10:16:24 PM
As for the gigabit, isn't the 360 a 10/100 device? You might want to check that your gigabit nic on your PC is not set to use JUMBO frames, I would aslo troubleshoot by forcing it down to 100 FULL mode to see if the video smooths out.

I know on our new managed switches at the office they have specific settings to aliviate speed issues between gigabit and 10/100 devices. I can only assume your home gigabit switch is not managed.

I'm 100% sure it's not a network problem.  My 360 has been talking fine on my network for close to a year now, and live still works too.  It see's my PC, it just insists that both my music and video libraries are empty, when they both have lots of content.  I just posted that because the MS support guy said the only 2 options he has for support are routers or a direct connection.  Any switch or hub would be un-supported, because it's not a router, and the average phone-answering call-center dude doesn't know that all those routers are really just a switch with some extra stuff.

Shayne

So you added all your music and videos to the WMP11 library?  (i really have no idea, im not using it :P)

Cova

Yes - I added my entire music and video collection to the WMP11 library.  When that didn't work at MS's suggestion I also tried emptying the library and then only adding a few files of each type, and ensuring that every file in the library was a supported format on the 360.

Melbosa

Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

TheDruid

Ha! 1080p support not working with some Sony TV models, innocent accident or by design... i wonder.

I’m Samsung which is part of that whole Blue-Ray circle, so maybe ill be punished too. I bet Toshiba TVs have no problems :P
I only drink the blood of my enemies, and on occasion a strawberry smoothie.

Cova

Quote from: TheDruid on November 02, 2006, 12:33:25 PM
Ha! 1080p support not working with some Sony TV models, innocent accident or by design... i wonder.

I?m Samsung which is part of that whole Blue-Ray circle, so maybe ill be punished too. I bet Toshiba TVs have no problems :P

I hear Samsung TV's have very good support from the 360s, as thats the majority of the TV's MS has in their own test lab.

Melbosa

Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

TheDruid

1080p works fine on my TV, confirmed it last night. Im running through component.... now just got to wait for some true 1080p content instead of all this upconverted crap.

Shayne

You could play Splinter Cell its in 1080i :P

What I want to see if for one of you 1080p guys to get a game that runs in it at full speed in that resolution and then drop it down to 720p and see.

TheDruid

yeah, i was thinking about that last night too. What the performance difference will be. Already the 360 chops out on several of my games. Cant imagine how 1080p will perform, even after 3rd gen is out and developers squeezed every bit of power out of it.

What they need is the ever expanding console, need more cpu power swap out the core.... but i guess you end up with a PC at that point :P

Shayne

Why release games in 1080p with such a low saturation?  if they are going to squeeze out as much power as they can it will be in the lower minimum 720p resolution.

Seek out some remarks from developers talking about Sony's 1080p, while sure its there, the requirements beyond just horsepower are astounding.  All your textures have to be a lot more detailed even if they are just on the screen for seconds.  All your objects need to look a lot better as their is just more detail. 

I for see puzzle games and maybe the odd party game being in that high resolution, but nothing AAA.

TheDruid

Well, at least xbox can say they have it, thats one less thing Sony can brag about.

Cova

There are already true 1080p games out for the 360 - all of the ones that used to be 1080i.  The developers only specify the size of the frame-buffer they render to, 1280x720 or 1920x1080.  Then the 360 scales it to your output resolution, and sends it out to the display device in whatever signal format (interlaced or progressive) its configured for.  1080p does NOT take more rendering power than 1080i.  It's like PC gaming, you set performance based only on resolution, not on whether you run your monitor at 60hz or 85hz.

Adams

Whoa Whoa Whoa, your telling me that 1080i doesn't take more processor then 1080p?
I thought that 1080i was ever other frame and 1080p was every frame?

Am I wrong in that knowledge?
"Life is make up of 2 types of people...
50% of People who do want to do things
50% of people who do not want to do things
The rest are all forced to do things."

Shayne

Interesting, which again makes me want to see how good Splinter Cell is.  Its supposed to be running in 1080p

Cova

Quote from: Adams on November 03, 2006, 02:10:48 PM
Whoa Whoa Whoa, your telling me that 1080i doesn't take more processor then 1080p?

First - the argument is that 1080p takes more than 1080i - you have it backwards in that quote.

And yes - I'm saying that in terms of rendering frame-rate 1080i and 1080p are equal.  The GPU renders into a 1920x1080 buffer.  That buffer doesn't have a frame-rate, doesn't have interlacing, etc.  The little part of the video-card called the RAMDAC is responsible for reading that buffer, and sending a signal to your TV, and in the case of the 360 there's also a scaler in there (eg. if the buffer is 1280x720 and you are outputting 1080i).  Thats also why the frame-rate of a game can vary, while your TV/monitor runs at a fixed frequency (say 60hz) - the GPU can update the buffer as often as it can, but the RAMDAC outputs a fixed timing signal that your display device locks onto.

QuoteI thought that 1080i was ever other frame and 1080p was every frame?

Am I wrong in that knowledge?

Typically, 1080i is 60 fields per second - a field is 1/2 of the picture, either all the odd lines, or all the even ones - 2 fields make a frame.  Unfortunately there is no 'typical' for 1080p, it tends to come in 3 varieties and confuses pretty much everyone who deals with it - 1080p24, 1080p30, and 1080p60.  The following number is the number of frames of video per second.  HD-DVD and Blue-Ray disks for instance are all encoded at 1080p24.  The 360 likes to output at 1080p60, though I've heard its capable of 24.  My TV is supposed to take 1080p24 and 1080p30 over component and VGA, and 1080p24/30/60 over HDMI.  Then you get into things like telecining, which is the process of duplicating certain fields to convert 24fps progressive material into 60 field per second (30 fps) interlaced material.

Adams

Sorry that's what I mean was that 1080p was more intensive then 1080i.
Well then, I gonna have to check my tv to see if it can do 1080i or 1080p over HDMI :D

Thanks for the info.
"Life is make up of 2 types of people...
50% of People who do want to do things
50% of people who do not want to do things
The rest are all forced to do things."