PS3 Ad.... WTF?

Started by Lazybones, October 31, 2006, 09:58:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

Shayne

Actually, I saw this the other day and I liked it.  Totally freaky and makes me shiver.  Granted it says absolutely nothing about the console, but honestly, the first 5,000,000 machines will go the hardcore and I think advertisements like that cater to the hardcore.

Mr. Analog

Remember the adverts for the PSX?

R U E
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tonnica

Wow. That creeped me right the hell out. :o

Warning: do not watch Dawn of the Dead right before seeing this commercial.

Darren Dirt

LOL!
digiverse34 (10 hours ago)
it's apparantly supposed to be based off 2001: a space odyssey, where there's a black monolith that accelerates the evolution of some apes.

I think it's dumb, and totally incomprehensible to people who haven't seen or read that story.

The baby is scary, especially its lips. gogog rebirth of chucky.

Nice going Sony! Either you over-estimated the intelligence of your target audience, or you spent millions on an ad campaign that went for "artsy fartsy, style-over-substance" cuz you know M$ and Nintendo pwn your @$$! Both are equally probable ;D

see also "PlayStation 3 Commercial: Realistic Gaming"
schumiistweltmeister (1 day ago)
These new Sony ads- this one and the one about 'space' with the dandilions... Remind me of Porsche's commercials that can be found on their website. Lots of narration of .... things. Same ad company maybe?

mkygod (1 day ago)
All this is saying your real life is boring and that PS3 will make everything look crazy beautiful in hi-def. The only thing that would impress me on this video is if they had told me that the entire footage was made up of actual gameplay footage. Now that would be impressive. The wild animals at the end were a let down.
::)

PS: after that 3 minutes that I'll never get back, I'm now in the mood for a serious pillow fight ;)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Shayne

Regardless of what its supposed to be I still think its pretty effective marketing.  We are all sitting here talking about it now and we all know the product, my friends, that is effective marketing.  Far to often their is a great commercial and at the end you cant remember what it was for (this happens a lot with beer commercials).

Still, Microsoft has the best next-gen commercial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8Y0zaDa4w4 its a shame it never aired :(  However this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY7sNA6LOEo is still pretty good.

Tonnica

Yesterday while watching Dawn of the Dead I saw one of the new ads for the 360. It wasn't one of the ones Shayne has linked to above but I liked it. Simple elegant visuals, and the chat played over the commercial sounded like it was from real gamers. I liked that one. Plus I was grabbed by the pitch right away: gamers are out there on Live, ready to play - enhancing the experience of the games you enjoy.

After seeing the freaky baby commercial I'm repulsed enough to cease discussion on that Sony console completely. Sure, it was a memorable commercial, but in a negative way. Like those "Always Been Ford" commercials with the two old guys I hated so much. A switch gets tripped in my brain where I just don't want to talk about it anymore because that means remembering it. Ick.

Shayne

I gotta agree with you Tonnica, back a few months when they were advertising games like Project Gotham, NHL, Madden and they have what sounds like gamers trash talking while the game is being played.  Those commercials are about the games and about the experience.  The PS3 ad is a hype builder

Cova

I really like the new 'Cops and Robbers' 360 ad - it's downloadable off xbox live right now.  That banned one linked a few posts ago is pretty good too - I saw a clip based on that a while back, bunch of university students staged a similar fake gunfight on campus as one of those flash-mob type stunts.

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Cova on November 01, 2006, 01:44:31 PM
I really like the new 'Cops and Robbers' 360 ad - it's downloadable off xbox live right now.  That banned one linked a few posts ago is pretty good too - I saw a clip based on that a while back, bunch of university students staged a similar fake gunfight on campus as one of those flash-mob type stunts.

search on YouTube for "banned XBox" and you'll see 1 or 2 others, including the "gunfight" one (very well directed/acted, IMHO -- much better than the "life is short" ad)

Darren Dirt

These comments said it best, with some pretty damn sharp wit to boot :)

retard patrol: "Aww, they didn't show the PS3 exploding =["

Anonymous: "This is an Ad for a freaking gaming console? How about you show me some games instead of just claim its "smart"

Apokalyptik: "For 600 ****in' dollars, it BETTER hover. And solve pesky Rubik's Cubes. AND paint my freaking room."