Firefly Fans!

Started by Melbosa, December 07, 2006, 05:35:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shayne

I gotta thank Ustauk for hooking me up with is "Complete Series".  I have always been a rather large fan of SciFi films (my guilty pleasure movie is "Red Planet").  Had some interesting ideas for sure, but overall I think I just enjoyed the relative fluffiness of it.  Firefly never took itself seriously (maybe the last episode on the DVDs was a changing path) it kept light and didn't load up on the useless and totally fictional space terminology.

***SPOILER***
The movie to me felt like the perfect ending to the series, they killed off a couple big players and answered one of the biggest questions (though the priest is still a mystery).  I couldnt have really asked for more.

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Shayne on December 11, 2006, 08:47:37 AM
I gotta thank Ustauk for hooking me up with is "Complete Series".

I have always been a rather large fan of SciFi films (my guilty pleasure movie is "Red Planet"). 

Firefly never took itself seriously (maybe the last episode on the DVDs was a changing path) it kept light and didn't load up on the useless and totally fictional space terminology.

The movie to me answered one of the biggest questions (though the priest is still a mystery).

Yeah, he was also my "dealer" and after watching the 2-hour pilot I decided to buy the series legit. ;D

I also enjoyed RP, as it had an appearance of lame monster-on-Mars flicks, but the story was deeper than expected and concluded in a pleasantly surprising way. I also felt "creeped out" a few times, which was a nice alternative to being bored and just looking at the pretty mountain landscape.

FF always had tongue firmly in cheek, except for a couple of dark/serious/slowpaced episodes (including the final) but methinks that's a Whedon trademark, innit? :)

re. the questions answered/stillunanswered: believe it or not, the IMDB threads (especially for the film, but also for the TV series) contain many an intelligent discussion re. Book, The Operative, and Hands Of Blue (as well as "what would likely happen after the events of the film..."). Some pure speculation, some theories based on extra "canon" material like the post-film books and the in-between comic series, and some based on what Joss and others have directly said or let slip in interviews. Pleasantly surprising, contrary to most IMDB discussions a majority of these have a very high signal:noise ratio. :o ;D

Quote from: Lazybones on December 11, 2006, 08:42:32 AM
3. In the TV series space scenes are always devoid of effect sounds. They screwed that up in the movie from what I remember.

The only "space battle" sounds were in upper-atmo ... not technology in space :)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Lazybones

Quote from: Darren Dirt on December 11, 2006, 09:40:15 AM
The only "space battle" sounds were in upper-atmo ... not technology in space :)

I swore they added a engine hum and swoosh sounds ala trek in the movie as well? I remember being disturbed by the space scenes because of the difference from the TV show... Maybe I am wrong but I would have to look at the movie again to know for sure.

Darren Dirt

re. game version(s) -- MMO and otherwise...

Some interesting info. and opinions in a new thread on IMDB.

by llllllll     4 days ago (Thu Dec 7 2006 00:48:10 )
I'm playing the video game called "Gun" right now, its kinda off like Grand Theft Auto but a Western version. Now I was thinking how easy it would be to throw in spaceships, reavers, and newer weapons, and you would have a hell of a Firefly typed video game. I'm so mad they haven't put one out yet. Anyone else play "Gun" and feel the same?

by Squash_J     4 days ago (Thu Dec 7 2006 01:25:47 )  Ignore this User | Report Abuse
yeah, change the Apache skins to Reavers, the revolvers to... future revolvers, the train to a hover train, and you have the second episode... ^_^

by devsmith     1 day ago (Sat Dec 9 2006 15:00:23 )
I read on the Scifi channel website under there scifiwire that someone is trying to develop a Firefly video game. It would be a MMORPG.
A Massive Multiplay online role playing game like World of Warcraft.
I could see it working think about all the character types you may have seen over the series, traders, mercenaries, pirates. Imagine being able to chose to agents of the Alliance or to be a member of the Reavers.

by diacritical     3 hours ago (Mon Dec 11 2006 05:47:25 )
From this morning's "Variety"
"Firefly" has been licensed by 20th Century Fox TV to vidgame technology developer Multiverse, which will turn the property into a multiplayer online game.
Company is building technology that lets developers build a variety of different online worlds that interconnect through one portal. It's hoping that "Firefly," which has a devout cult aud that crosses over heavily with gamers, will not only be successful on its own but draw attention to other properties using the same technology.

TheDruid

Which reminds me, I still have your Firefly boxset Ustauk, remind me or just grab it off my shelve next heroscape game.

Im probably going to by a copy anyways, its only $25. Probably get the movie in HDDVD though, i seen it at futreshop once... or was that on amazon?
I only drink the blood of my enemies, and on occasion a strawberry smoothie.

Darren Dirt

Quote from: TheDruid on December 11, 2006, 10:00:37 AM
Im probably going to by a copy anyways, its only $25. Probably get the movie in HDDVD though, i seen it at futreshop once... or was that on amazon?

"This is the first film to be released by Universal on HD-DVD (High Definition DVD)." ( $26.99 at Future Schlock )

Not sure if the series has been released on HD, tho. I did a search for "Firefly" on Amazon and there's only the full/widescreen DVDs. Plus a ton of new related info, including a new Sept.2006 release "Official Companion Vol. 1", and Done The Impossible: The Fans' Tale of Firefly & Serenity (with apparently "More special features than Fox's Firefly DVD and Universal's Serenity DVD combined" :o )

Info. on the MMO folks who are making this (possible) rez happen...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiverse_Network

http://www.multiverse.net/

Shayne

I thought about picking it up (Serenity) in HD-DVD as well, however I already own it in SD and I really don't feel the desire to rebuy what I have already purchased.

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Darren Dirt on December 08, 2006, 08:23:02 AM
Yay, Wikipedia makes a mention of it; the truthiness level just doubled! ^_^

A Massively Multiplayer Online Game is in development, and is shceduled to be released in 2008.

80. Firefly Reborn as Online Universe. Wired.com. Retrieved on 2006-12-07.

Firefly has become the Star Trek of 21st-century sci-fi fandom: a show that seemed to remake the genre even as it stayed faithful to the conventions of "hard" science fiction, like engine room problems and menacing hordes lurking on the edge of known space.

What made the show special was the wry, often self-deprecating humor of its characters, from the captain with the checkered past to the unwittingly sexy engineer, the dull hunk of a mercenary with a girl's name, and the mysterious young woman passenger with special gifts.

The online version will move away from those central characters -- after all, there's only one Mal Reynolds. In an MMORPG, "everybody has to have their own story," says Multiverse co-founder and executive producer Corey Bridges.

"Television series can be really good properties to turn into MMOs, because when you make a TV series, not only do you need great characters, but you need to create a full, rich, compelling place," Bridges says. "If you're doing science fiction, you have to really think it out and create an incredibly rich environment that is compelling in its own right, and worth exploring and going back to week after week. That's what Joss Whedon did with Firefly."

Founded by several early Netscape employees, Multiverse hopes to do for virtual worlds what Netscape did for web pages: provide a universal browser that lets users access any world built on the Multiverse platform using the same client software.

Already, some 7,000 development teams have registered for the Multiverse beta, according to Bridges, and more than 150 are making MMOs and non-game virtual worlds on a full-time basis. The tools are provided for free, with Multiverse taking a cut of revenue only if developers charge for their games, or for virtual items available within their worlds.

satisfying the show's committed fans will not be easy. Online communities like FireflyFans.net, the show's premier fan site, have generated an endless stream of fan fiction, art, blogs, pod casts, meet-ups and even a fan-produced documentary, Done the Impossible, which briefly broke into the top 1,000 in DVD sales on Amazon.com.

-from Wired News article, Firefly Reborn as Online Universe

Shayne

Lovely, so basically its a framework to make MMORPGs.  My hopes for this MMORPG just fell to about 0.5/10

Lazybones

Quote from: Shayne on December 11, 2006, 11:47:39 AM
Lovely, so basically its a framework to make MMORPGs.  My hopes for this MMORPG just fell to about 0.5/10

Question is, do you start in a small down and have to kill rats at the towns edge for an hour to make it to lvl 2.

Lazybones

Also can you play as the companion class, and if so how do you lvl in that class. ;) ;)

Darren Dirt

Imagine what "special moves" that class would have ;)

For anyone who really sees themselves as a Browncoat (or at least has watched the episodes enough times to quote long passages of dialogue including Sino-swears) here's a way for you to enjoy some moments of self-congratulation on your knowledge...

a frightfully long IMDB thread, "The Big Damn Quiz" (ain't we just? ;D )

Possible Spoilers, of course.

Shayne

Quote from: Darren Dirt on December 11, 2006, 04:30:10 PMsees themselves as a Browncoat

As a "trekkie" = star trek nerd, does "browncoat" = firefly nerd?

Lazybones

Quote from: Shayne on December 11, 2006, 05:31:53 PM
Quote from: Darren Dirt on December 11, 2006, 04:30:10 PMsees themselves as a Browncoat

As a "trekkie" = star trek nerd, does "browncoat" = firefly nerd?

Basically, yes.

Darren Dirt

Except Browncoats also have an independent spirit, and have "done the impossible, and that's makes us mighty." ;D