Firefly Fans!

Started by Melbosa, December 07, 2006, 05:35:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shayne

I guess I could have just wiki'd it.

QuoteMany comparisons have been made between Browncoats and Trekkies. Both television shows were canceled and subsequently turned into movies due to strong fan bases...

Can't we just enjoy the show and the entertainment it provides without becoming obsessive?

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Shayne on December 12, 2006, 11:33:52 AMCan't we just enjoy the show and the entertainment it provides without becoming obsessive?

Yes, but said people would not be fans, per se.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Shayne

I see. So what would a person be who enjoyed the show but can't remember all the characters names?

Tom

You'd be me. (Think about that. Be frightened. Very Frightened.)
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Shayne

Quote from: Tom on December 12, 2006, 11:56:56 AMYou'd be me. (Think about that. Be frightened. Very Frightened.)

Nah, I can talk to girls both real and imaginary D&D ones ;)

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Shayne on December 12, 2006, 11:50:14 AM
I see. So what would a person be who enjoyed the show but can't remember all the characters names?

That person would belong to the group that simply likes the show, an admirer. Being a "Fan" implies devotion.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Shayne on December 12, 2006, 11:58:00 AM
Quote from: Tom on December 12, 2006, 11:56:56 AMYou'd be me. (Think about that. Be frightened. Very Frightened.)

Nah, I can talk to girls both real and imaginary D&D ones ;)

I think that was uncalled for.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Shayne

Quote from: Mr. Analog on December 12, 2006, 12:06:52 PMI think that was uncalled for.

Probably, but I was hoping for a legit answer.  the one you posted above seems rather accurate.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Shayne on December 12, 2006, 12:12:26 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on December 12, 2006, 12:06:52 PMI think that was uncalled for.

Probably, but I was hoping for a legit answer.  the one you posted above seems rather accurate.

I can only assume you mean my reply about whether or not you qualify as a fan of Firefly.

If you look "fan" up in the dictionary, which I have just done, you will find that it means the following:

"Fan
- noun a person who has a strong interest in or admiration for a particular sport, art form, or famous person."*
(Source Ask Oxford.com)
*Emphasis mine.

I take this to mean that someone who puts on the "Spock" ears or watches every episode of House is a Star Trek or House fan. Someone who saw Star Wars once and enjoyed it is merely a moviegoer.

Do you have a strong interest in Firefly?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Of course, an extreme FFF is what "Captain Reynolds" accidentally termed a "flan" :)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Darren Dirt on December 12, 2006, 02:23:44 PM
Of course, an extreme FFF is what "Captain Reynolds" accidentally termed a "flan" :)

ROFL, that's awesome!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Yup, Nathan's still got that good ol' wry Edmonchuk sense of humour ;D

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Tom

I can't tell you all the characters names, but once I get going I'll remember all the plot nuances from each episode.. I do that a lot with ST:TNG, somone will mention an episode, and it'll all come rushing back, and its as if I just saw it.

I'm a fan. Not a fanatic ;)

I almost picked up the DVDs for Firefly and Serenity while I was at HMV, but I think I put them on my Christmas list for people.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!