Jan 30 - Vista Release!

Started by Shayne, January 29, 2007, 11:53:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you upgrading to Vista?  When?  What Version?

I am not moving to Vista ever!
1 (12.5%)
I am waiting for the first service pack
2 (25%)
I am in no rush, maybe in a year or 2
4 (50%)
I am upgrading to Home Basic
0 (0%)
I am upgrading to Home Premium
0 (0%)
I am upgrading to a Business edition
0 (0%)
I am upgrading to Ultimate Edition
1 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: February 01, 2007, 11:53:15 AM

Cova

Quote from: Melbosa on February 14, 2007, 08:28:17 AMI know how you guys feel, and I like seeing Lazy's posts about his experiences.  I've just been noticing a bit of a negative posture with some posts that leave no room for constructive converstation and more lean towards the flame ware beginning all over again.  I don't want to see that again.

No flame wars starting here.  We all agree to hate Vista :)

Melbosa

Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Lazybones on February 14, 2007, 09:26:53 AM

Well in truth my disgust has mostly washed away into disappointment.

Woot, there it is.

Seems like among the reviews and analysis given by those who have done fresh installs or upgrades or have used the preview/RCs for some time previous to this month, disappointment. That's the common theme, even in Microsoft lovers... So many years in the waiting, so many man-hoursYEARS for development shops to redo perfectly working stuff to make it play nice with Vista... and a very underwhelming product is all the drooling consumers have been given.

I would like to see some positive reviews from big magazines and/or tech sites, I really would. Please someone post them if you find them, or see them linked from /. or whatever. I don't want just negative stuff in this thread, either. (Really.)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Melbosa

Here is something that will be nice for people at home who want games for their kids, or want to know what may help make their machines better: 1 & 2.jpg

And 3.jpg shows what software (although this is a game company) can add to their installers to better layout where you go for support or information about accounts etc from an easy layout - user friendly versus just Web links in a folder in the start menu.

The game listed actually has a specific installer for Vista, so you don't even see a program folder in the start menu, as it shows up in the game explorer instead.

I think the system rating, while rather crude and simplistic, gives average joe a simple explaination of where his bottleneck may be in performance, and with the rating right on the game section - an indication why his FPS is choppy to play (system recommended is 4.0 and mine is 3.9 at the lowest - which by the way runs fine).
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Thorin

Some reading today led me to search out when XP SP3 is coming out (since I'll only upgrade to Vista when I buy a new machine, and I won't be buying a new machine anytime soon).  XP SP3 is due out sometime in 2008 (source: http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/3639101), and XP Home and Pro are in mainstream support until 2009 and extended support (security updates) until 2014 (source: http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=3221 and http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=3223).

Which gives me even less reason to move on up to Vista...
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful