Harmony Remote = Double-plus Good!

Started by Thorin, March 13, 2007, 02:44:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

Yay!  I finally have one of these Harmony remotes to mess around with.  Most of you probably know what it is; for those that don't, it's a programmable remote that you can customize to your entertainment system and usage desires.  For instance, we sometimes hook up the camcorder to our system, so I created a custom "Watch Camcorder" activity that turns on the TV (to view the video), the VCR (which has front inputs that we hook the camcorder up to), and the stereo (to hear the sound - the remote tells it to switch to Video2 for this activity).

It's all quite straightforward to set up, especially if you like messing around with gadgets.  You can re-map all the buttons to your heart's content, although the default settings for all but Watch VCR and Watch Camcorder were exactly what I would expect them to be.

It's really neat watching all the pieces of my home entertainment system switch on and off as I switch activities.  Lets say I was watching the TV, and decided to put on a DVD.  The cable box goes off, the stereo comes on, the TV switches inputs, and the DVD player comes on. The Channel +/- buttons change to flip between chapters on the DVD.  Then I change my mind and decide to listen to the radio.  The TV goes off, the DVD player goes off, the stereo flips to Tuner, and the Channel +/- buttons switch to flipping through the tuner presets.

If things get out of whack (which they can easily in my house - as soon as someone walks in front of me while the remote is sending commands to switch everything on and/or off), there's a Help button right on the remote that has helped turn on/off the right components every time.  I tested that a good twenty times... 

In short, I love this thing!  Too bad it was just over $160 after tax...

Lazy, thanks for planting the idea in my head months ago, and I'll have to thank a coworker for explaining the details of how it works.

And thanks, wifey, for buying it!
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

Well that makes 3 of use here now
Me
Melbosa
Thorin

I don't think I could go back to a code based dumb remote ever again. Once configured these remotes make even the most complex setup easy. And as for family training all you should have to do is explain the Activies button and the help button, the remote does the rest.

Darren Dirt

Sounds like a great gadget!

But you gotta admit, it's sad that nowadays in order to switch from "watching TV" to "watching a movie" there's like 3-4 devices involved and 5 clicks that are required ::) ;)

Remember when life was simpler? When Shaw Cable Channel 10 had the "How to hook up your VCR" and most of us laughed at how overly simplistic that little tutorial made it out to be? (cuz it was :) )

*sigh* ...

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Lazybones

I have been running a minimum 3 device setup for years. Ever since STTNG was presented in surround sound I have had my primary TV audio pumped through a receiver and generaly had a VCR present.

These days it is a Plasma TV, a Digital Sat box / PVR, and receiver for TV watching. Then there all the 2 game consoles and DVD player involved.

Bixby

I bought one about a year ago and it is the harmony model with XboX 360 buttons on it so I get all of the regular Harmony goodness, plus some Xbox love as well. Very cool device. I would NOT go without one now.

Mr. Analog

The remote I got with my receiver had a learning feature and fortunately everything I own that is remote controlled plugged into it with no hassle.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Quote from: Darren Dirt on March 13, 2007, 10:45:03 AM
But you gotta admit, it's sad that nowadays in order to switch from "watching TV" to "watching a movie" there's like 3-4 devices involved and 5 clicks that are required ::) ;)

No, it's not sad.  I find the multiple components make my use of the entertainment system more enjoyable than just the old TV and VCR.  Keep in mind I say entertainment system, not TV and VCR.  My entertainment system includes a tape deck (nowadays, only used for the books-on-tape brought home from school), a CD jukebox, a DVD player, a VCR, a receiver with a built-in tuner, a game console, the TV, and a sometimes-hooked-up camcorder.  That's eight different things I might ask my entertainment system to do for me.  I don't really have enough hookups for it all, so there's some wonky connections to make it all play nice together.

Now that I have the remote, I'm even considering re-jigging the hookups since it doesn't matter how complex it gets.  Now if only I could figure out how to get the receiver to switch from analog audio to digital audio on the same input...

Bixby: I saw the Xbox remote.  Seems like a handy gadget if one has an Xbox.  I don't, and I doubt I'll get one in the near future - with a standard-def TV and kids, the Wii is just fine.  Still, being able to include Xbox controls into one remote is cool.

Honestly, the thing that makes me the happiest is that we're finally back to one single remote in our house.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on March 13, 2007, 11:26:51 AM
The remote I got with my receiver had a learning feature and fortunately everything I own that is remote controlled plugged into it with no hassle.
I had one of those as well, but this takes things a step past that.

Questions:
How many button presses does it take from a powered off state to play your PS2?
Now how many button presses does it take to switch from playing PS2 to watching TV?
How many button presses from there doe it take to turn everything off?
On a harmony it is only one to switch between each task and to have the volume and playback buttons mapped correctly.

Mr. Analog

Believe me I can see how it's handy, but I'll bite anyway...

Quote from: Lazybones on March 13, 2007, 12:48:24 PMQuestions:
TV Power On
Receiver Power On
TV/SAT video input
PS2 On

QuoteNow how many button presses does it take to switch from playing PS2 to watching TV?
TV/VCR video input

QuoteHow many button presses from there doe it take to turn everything off?
TV Power Off
Receiver Power Off

At least it's all one remote and fairly easy to follow connection wise.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on March 13, 2007, 01:43:18 PM
Believe me I can see how it's handy, but I'll bite anyway...

Quote from: Lazybones on March 13, 2007, 12:48:24 PMQuestions:
TV Power On
Receiver Power On
TV/SAT video input
PS2 On

QuoteNow how many button presses does it take to switch from playing PS2 to watching TV?
TV/VCR video input

QuoteHow many button presses from there doe it take to turn everything off?
TV Power Off
Receiver Power Off

At least it's all one remote and fairly easy to follow connection wise.

It was sort of a trick question, yes one remote is is much nicer than several but can still be complex if you are not the owner.

My point was more that all you have to do is show someone the activity and help buttons on a harmony, an no matter how your equipment wiring changes, as long as you reprogram it accordingly ANY family member that knows how to use the remote can continue using the entertainment center with ease, for that matter they should be able to use anyone elses entertainment center that has a harmony.

The learning universals that come with receivers are great and cost effective, I used one for years.

Thorin

Is a PS2 controlled with infrared?  The only thing I can't control with my Harmony remote is the Wii, because the Wii is controlled via Bluetooth and the remote uses IR.  So to play Wii, I push the Play Wii button on the Harmony remote, then the power button on the Wii remote.  Actually, here's the full button sequence:

1. Push Activities button on Harmony remote
2. Push button next to Play Wii label on Harmony remote
3. Push power button on Wii remote

Still three buttons, although here's what it replaces:

1. Push power button on TV remote
2. Change TV to correct input (zero, one, or two button presses - my TV cycles through inputs)
3. Push power button on Receiver remote
4. Change receiver to correct input (zero or one button presses - zero if we're already on the right one)
5. Push power button on Wii remote

Not a big difference, except that all I have to teach the kids is to press the Activities button and then look for what they want to do; no more teaching them what input to put each device on.

Nevertheless, Mr. A., the learning universal remote clearly works for you and would work for me as well, if it weren't for the rugrats and the wife.  I had no problem remembering what buttons to push for what activity.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Cova

Quote from: Darren Dirt on March 13, 2007, 10:45:03 AM

It's the price you pay for going with separate components instead of a single integrated device.

Of course, the price of going with the integrated device is IMHO unacceptable.  That being that you can't upgrade parts, and you typically can't add much if anything to the system (there MIGHT be an Aux input), and you're typically stuck with lower-end parts.  There's also currently no options for integrated devices for gaming systems or HD disk formats.  But if simple is what you're after, you can get a TV, with a DVD and VHS built into it, and simulated surround sound from the built-in speakers - and it all operates from the one remote control.

QuoteNow if only I could figure out how to get the receiver to switch from analog audio to digital audio on the same input...
95% of receivers will do this automatically for you - if a digital signal is there it'll play it, else it falls back to analog.  This is done for set-top boxes that can receive both digital and analog channels so you can plug both the digital and analog plugs from the STB to the receiver and you just get the best audio available as you channel-surf between crap channels and digital movie channels with DD5.1.  I have seen 1 receiver that does not operate that way - you can manually switch between analog and digital mode and have two different devices audio associated with the same video input.  That particular receiver though can't auto-switch to digital, and you can't control the mode from the remote, you have to walk to the receiver and push a button.  It's a real pain in the ass when you're moving around between analog and digital devices - the friend of mine with that receiver wants to upgrade to something better.

Melbosa

One remote to rule them all!

Since getting mine setup, I have now reduced my remotes down to 1 from 7, and only have to manually book 1 system by getting off my lazy butt!

So this is what I have:

• Samsung HLS5087 TV
  • Bell ExpressVu 4100
  • Pantec Multistar 2500
  • XBox 360
  • PS3
  • XBox
  • Optical Audio Switcher
  • Marantz SR5000 Receiver

And the only thing I need to get off my butt for is to boot the XBox.  The PS3 is bluetooth, so can't control it with the remote, but can boot it with the controller... well I guess I have to get off my butt to put games in my consoles, but for the most part I stick to one game per console for a bit.

So lets see, to change to one of my worst case scenarioes before (XBox 360):

• Turn on TV, Switch TV to PC mode
  • Turn on Marantz, Switch to LD/TV mode
  • Turn on Optical Switch box, change to Device 2
  • Turn on the 360
Total: 4 remotes (around encase I had to change something specific), 11 button pushes (had to hit TV, then Power, then Switch on my learning remote, and repeat for each device), and 2 pauses (while different units boot) - I had a learning remote (Marantz came with one) so it was all done with one remote, unless I needed to do specific things.

Now I click Activites, XBox 360 and put the remote on the table. Wait 10 seconds and everything is ready to go (well the 360 is still booting by that time).  Nice thing is that I didn't have to learn anything on the Harmony remote, as the database had all the information and button presets already done.  Although there is one change I had to make on a video selection for my TV (wrong code set for SVideo 2).  No holding one remote to the other, and trying to remember afterwards what I programmed that Tune Up button to do on my 360 when watching DVDs.  But still can do that process, label the buttons on the remote to match, encase the database is missing your system's settings, or your device completely.

So yeah, like you Thorin and Lazy I will never go back!
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Tom

My turn to revive and ancient topic!

I just got a Harmony 650! Its nice, but it is such a pain in the ass to set up. But maybe thats because I have the following devices that all need to be setup properly to switch between modes:

1. Pioneer Receiver
2. HDMI Switch
3. HD Cable Box
4. HTPC

Yeah. Fun times. For both modes, the first two always have to be switched, while the latter two are for TV and Video respectively.
I may add this bluray player I got at some point, but its not even plugged in, and I don't have a spare hdmi cable atm.

Sadly my "TV" doesn't have a remote. Its actually just a 21" LCD monitor. I'll end up doing something about that in the near-ish future. But as long as its on, it auto detects signal from the hdmi switch, so I generally only have to get up once to turn it on (or move it between my desk and "media centre").

But yeah. I'm hoping its able to handle this all properly ;D
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Melbosa

Harmony Remotes are a bit of a pain to initially setup... but once complete you never have to re-set it up again because someone pushed the learn button or some combination that reset the thing... or batteries died and lost all programming.  The Harmony Remotes are good that way... and the Help button is a beautiful thing if you have a lady friend that doesn't understand electronics or your setup.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!