Fraga! So who's going?

Started by Mr. Analog, March 21, 2007, 09:08:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

I plan on going this year, I don't think I can volunteer this time though.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

I plan on going.. Marked registration day on my calender already.

Ustauk

I'm planning on going.  I'm looking forward to it :)

Tom

I'm looking forward to it. I should hopefully be able to actually afford it this year as well :) Though I doubt I'll have a decent enough manchine :( Oh wells, its still fun.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Ustauk

Quote from: Tom on March 21, 2007, 11:17:51 AM
I'm looking forward to it. I should hopefully be able to actually afford it this year as well :) Though I doubt I'll have a decent enough manchine :( Oh wells, its still fun.
I'll probably upgrade my video card just before Frag, and perhaps my power supply too if the vid card requires more juice then my X850Pro AGP.  Current price on eBay for the card is $70 to $100 , and it'll be cheaper by the summer, plus I'll give you a deal since you're a friend. 

Tonnica

I'm in. I might not attend all the days though; I'm eating up extra vacation time to move this year.

Man I need to overhual my PC. First thing to go: my motherboard. The thing is causing increasing issues during boot and it'd cost me less to buy a new board with 2 GB memory sticks than to try and upgrade above the 1GB of DDR RAM that's compatible with my current board. Blech.

Then come the casemods. New better quality fan for my case door and I'll finally mount that Jet Engine fan that I won at last Fraga.

Lazybones

Quote from: Tonnica on March 21, 2007, 11:58:42 AM
I'm in. I might not attend all the days though; I'm eating up extra vacation time to move this year.

Man I need to overhual my PC. First thing to go: my motherboard. The thing is causing increasing issues during boot and it'd cost me less to buy a new board with 2 GB memory sticks than to try and upgrade above the 1GB of DDR RAM that's compatible with my current board. Blech.

Then come the casemods. New better quality fan for my case door and I'll finally mount that Jet Engine fan that I won at last Fraga.

Hmm, just so you know you can put faster DDR ram in your system than what is in the manual. If your manual states DDR 2100 or 2700 you can actually put DDR 3200, or even 4200 in it, they are backwards compatible. They just will not run any faster than your system can go.

Replacing your main board normally means replacing the RAM AND the CPU if you are truely moving UP.

Tonnica

Quote from: Lazybones on March 21, 2007, 12:07:17 PMReplacing your main board normally means replacing the RAM AND the CPU if you are truely moving UP.

That's the intention. There's very little point for me staying at the level of performance I'm at now; I'm not happy with it. Yes, it works but it can't "keep up" to my expectations while running games or programs. Unfortunately this'll might mean my PC will require a different video card if I switch to PCI-E. My current card is the AGP slot type (All-in-wonder 9800XT).

Ustauk

Quote from: Tonnica on March 21, 2007, 01:25:22 PM
Quote from: Lazybones on March 21, 2007, 12:07:17 PMReplacing your main board normally means replacing the RAM AND the CPU if you are truely moving UP.

That's the intention. There's very little point for me staying at the level of performance I'm at now; I'm not happy with it. Yes, it works but it can't "keep up" to my expectations while running games or programs. Unfortunately this'll might mean my PC will require a different video card if I switch to PCI-E. My current card is the AGP slot type (All-in-wonder 9800XT).
How fast is your processor?  Is your motherboard really hard limited to only 1 gb of RAM?  If a video card would help, you can get an x1950Pro AGP for $299 at Memory Express.

Tonnica

I've created a topic about my intended upgrade. Mods, if you want to go ahead and merge the posts into the new thread. Thanks!

Tom

QuoteI'll probably upgrade my video card just before Frag, and perhaps my power supply too if the vid card requires more juice then my X850Pro AGP.  Current price on eBay for the card is $70 to $100 , and it'll be cheaper by the summer, plus I'll give you a deal since you're a friend.
Thats deffinitely better than my 9600xt, hopefully it doesn't have the same stupid bug in the linux drivers thats been annoying me.

Still though, I'd need to get a real upgrade to play some of the new games, like SupCom. Specially if I wanted dual monitor. I just have no idea what I'm going to be doing with my current "spare" cash atm, I'm _supposed_ to be investing in something with a friend, but he doesn't seem to be doing any work on it _at all_, so I'm starting to get a little frustrated. Also, I don't have PCI-E, so It'd have to be AGP :o (I have a SocketA board still, and thanks to Mr Analog, its not anywhere near as unstable as it used to be! THANKS Mr.A!!)

So yeah, my hardware upgrades are sorta on hold, and I'm not even certain I'd have the money in time for fraga anyhow. It's all up in the air. Rather frustrating.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Cova

I don't think Melbosa or I really need to say we're going...  we're both on staff again this year.  Also - I'll likely be on night-shift duty and up at the head table (dunno Mel's plans).  I need to know if you guys would still want a reserved seating section, and for how many?

Melbosa

Yeah was thinking I might be up at the head table again as well, as I think you and I are doing alternating Night Shifts.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

@%&#! I completely missed yesterday! REGISTER! REGISTER! REGISTER!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Which row of seats are we occupying this year fellas?
By Grabthar's Hammer