Divx/Xvid added to Xbox 360 on December 4th

Started by Shayne, November 30, 2007, 10:56:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shayne

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemupdates/20071204-features.htm

QuoteAdded support for Mpeg-4 part 2 video files in AVI containers

That is all, back to lurking.

Lazybones

Shares, O WHY CAN'T it mount remote shares without a streaming server!

Tom

Because then you won't have a reason to licence Windows HomeServer or some other streaming service ;D
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Shayne

Nice troll Tom.  360 supports XP, Vista and WHS for streaming.  Not to mention all the other services like TVersity, etc.  As for the reason it doesn't allow for SMB I can only imagine that its security related.  But still, to complain about a feature thats the first of its kind on a console, and a features thats been requested since the previous console generation seems a little odd.  Guess their is no pleasing some.

I'm personally overjoyed.  I own XP and Vista, it streams great from WMP11 and WMC.  Not sure why SMB is really even required accept for the obvious Linux/Apple people.

Thorin

If I had an Xbox360 and was using it to stream video stored on PCs running XP or Vista or on a Windows HomeServer device, I'd be pretty happy, too.  Now DivX-encoded content can play.

Now, if I wanted to do the same off of a PC with Linux or OSX or UNIX installed...

From Microsoft's point of view, it makes business sense to provide functionality that can be enjoyed only if you buy at least some of their products.

Notice that I didn't discuss TVersity (or any other installable streaming service) because I simply don't know enough about them yet.  I do wonder whether you could set up a streaming service on a Linux, OSX, or UNIX box and have the 360 accept that as input.  Although...  Why not just hook up your PC right to your TV, at that point?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Thorin

By the way, announcing that you're lurking seems like you're trying to get attention.  I know that online postings can be interpreted incorrectly and I may very well be interpreting your "back to lurking" comment incorrectly, therefore I ask, why did you announce that you're lurking?
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Y'know all that's missing is no-fuss ROM support (MAME, etc), if that was there I think I'd pick an XBox360 up.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

QuoteNice troll Tom.
Hardly a troll. Just plain truth. I'm not even the one looking for SMB support, Lazy is, and he's a windows guy. Go figure.

Also, it is in MS's best interest to make sure its products features depend on another "for pay" product that MS provides. Its just one more way to "milk the cow". Theres nothing inherently wrong with doing it, but it will upset some of your customers.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Shayne

Quote from: Mr. Analog on November 30, 2007, 02:29:02 PMY'know all that's missing is no-fuss ROM support (MAME, etc), if that was there I think I'd pick an XBox360 up.

Legality comes into play here.  You can always score a modded Xbox for cheap and it can do everything that everyone wants on here (smb, roms, etc).  All im saying is that in their quest to conquer the living room Microsoft is doing a pretty good job of it with this free dashboard update (Sony will soon follow as they too have a divx license).  Good to see this stuff happening.

As for hooking the PC to the TV, I don't have a free PC to do this to nor do I have the space in my living room for a typical mid tower (dont get me start on room on the entertainment stand for the other options).  I like the idea of being able to turn on the 360/PS3, browse my PC in the other room (soon to be upstairs) or the Home Server (in the basement) and bring up any TV, Music, etc that I have downloaded/stored.

Just though peeps here would be interested as I know most peeps here are pretty hardcore downloaders of media and a $299 360 would get that streaming to your living room TV's in Hi-Def with basically no setup.

Thorin

You're right, it is interesting to us, so thanks for sharing.  Even though I probably won't spend the money to use it (HDTV, 360, PC for content serving), I still like knowing what's possible.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful