Spore Pics, Vids, Stuff Thread

Started by Melbosa, June 16, 2008, 04:59:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on September 13, 2008, 02:03:31 AM
Yep, it is DRMed which totally sucks. However I don't see my self reinstalling it unless they extend it with lots of addons.
Except when you need to reinstall the OS ;)
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Lazybones

That is down to less than once a year.. so  probably not an issue.

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Tom on September 13, 2008, 03:28:01 AM
Quote from: Lazybones on September 13, 2008, 02:03:31 AM
Yep, it is DRMed which totally sucks. However I don't see my self reinstalling it unless they extend it with lots of addons.
Except when you need to reinstall the OS ;)

Installing 4th time (say, your hard drive kept crashing so finally you got a new laptop or something) and you have to basically defend yourself to the REAL owners of the game :sigh:

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080912-amazon-gags-spore-critics-deletes-all-customer-reviews.html
When the reviews disappeared late this week, there were 2,216 reviews, of which 2,016 were one-star ratings. 

Pulling customer reviews is not a terribly common act on the part of Amazon. Aside from yanking religiously motivated rants on certain religious texts and various fake reviews by people impersonating celebrities and so forth, Amazon has typically been very liberal about allowing its users to express their honest opinions about the site's products.

...As of 4:25pm CDT, all 2,216 reviews were back online, and the average rating is one star. 

and I love the tags that were tops out of 486...

If there's a lesson learned from Stardock, which has enjoyed strong success with sales numbers surpassing 500,000 from its recent, DRM-free PC game Sins of a Solar Empire, it's that gamers do not want DRM. The long-standing argument holds: DRM only punishes legitimate consumers who want to pay for the software they own. And even with all this DRM, Spore still hit the web illegally immediately. EA, and all publishers, should be paying attention. Gamers have spoken, and DRM on games is futile?whether the criticisms are whitewashed or not.
...can I hear an AMEN?

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Melbosa

Quote from: Lazybones on September 12, 2008, 10:59:53 AM
I am very disappointing there are no stats in the Sporpida on how your creature is doing, I see news fee items on kills and stuff but I would really like to know how many times my creatures have been downloaded and if they are getting their asses whooped or if they are a challenging foe.

You first guy you had in the tribal stage sure gave mine a run for the final kill.  Tough to beat.  Barely did.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Lazybones

I have had 3 epic versions of your creatures appear, defeated one of them with a mass of tanks, it took down my aircraft in one shot.

I haven't made it to space yet.

Mags

"Bleed all over them, let them know you're there!"

Mr. Analog

Those are all outta this world!

Imagine being overrun by a fierce army of Mr. Potato Heads?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

First major update for Spore coming: http://forum.spore.com/jforum/posts/list/2897.page;jsessionid=77038F648292DCB8B401F5C5E25AB779.240112

QuoteHi Spore Players,

First, we want to thank you for your responses and feedback to my posting from Friday regarding Online Accounts and clarifying how things work. We?re listening and we want to announce some changes that we are making based on your feedback.

We are going to add the ability to have multiple Spore Screen Names for any one Spore Online Account. Here?s how this will work: for each copy of Spore that you have purchased, you will be able to have one Spore Online Account, just as it is now. However, we will be adding the ability to have five Spore Screen Names for that account. When you launch Spore, you will be able to log in with any of those Screen Names.

The content that is made and the MySpore Page will be associated with the logged in Screen Name for that account. Each Screen Name will be able to view and create content, Buddy Lists and Sporecasts that will be tied to that Screen Name. The Achievements earned will be credited to the Screen Name that is logged in at the time the Achievement is triggered. In the first iteration of this change, all Screen Names will be playing in the same Galaxy and any content downloaded by any Screen Name will be available in the Everything section.

We will be putting the ability to add Screen Names to a Spore Online Account on our website. If you already have the game, and want to add new Screen Names to your account you will be able to do so there.

We felt that this was a good step in the right direction to begin to respond to the feedback you have given us and evolve Spore (not with an extra set of arms in this case but definitely using our DNA points for the better good). We are aggressively working on this now; we will get back to you with more information on timing as soon as possible.

Lucy

QuoteSo... now that you know we're working to enable multiple screen names per Spore account, I thought I'd answer some questions about how it's going to work after we complete building out the first round of the new system.

-- How many screen names can I have? How will I set them up? --

On the login page for the website, we'll be adding a link to a page where you can manage your screen names. You'll be able to have a total of 5 screen names tied to one main Spore account. So if you already have a Spore account and screen name, you'll be able to add 4 screen names to that account.

All 5 screen names will be tied to the email address the main account was set up with.

-- What's the deal with my creations and Sporecasts? --

If you log in with your screen name and upload your creations to the server, they will show up with your screen name as the creator. If your sister logs in with her screen name and uploads creations, they will show her screen name as the creator. And so on for all the different screen names for the account.

Every screen name will get its own My Spore Page. Sporecasts will also show up with the correct screen name of the creator of the Sporecast.

-- How about my Achievements? --

Achievements are tricky. While we hope to make them completely unique to any screen name eventually, this will not be possible without an update to the game itself.

So, where will we be after this initial pass at multiple screen name system is live?

In this first pass of this system, the screen name that is logged in will get credited for the Achievement at the time that it triggers. So if I'm logged and play for 99 hours, and then I log off and my sister logs in and plays for 1 hour, she?ll get the honor of the 100 hours achievement, and I won?t. It'll show up on her My Spore page, not mine.

We know that this is not the ideal solution and will work on improvements to this feature in the future.

-- When will this new system be live? How do you find out more information? --

We are actively working on this right now. There will be a fair bit of work for the Spore Online Team to get it set up and tested properly so when I have a better idea about a timeline, I'll post back to this thread.

Thanks for all your comments and feedback. With a community this exciting, my job never gets boring.   

-MaxisLucky

Melbosa

And looks like an actual Patch released on the 18th: http://www.spore.com/patch

QuoteThe focus of this patch is to fix some bugs that have been reported and to respond to feedback we've been seeing from the community about tuning and stability. We managed to squeak in a few fun things too; there's a cool cheat that allows you to turn your creature into a blocky representation of themselves, a new "inspection" feature for the creature creator to browse the parts stats that you have applied to your creature, and the much-requested "evoadvantage" cheat - you'll now be able to start a new creature game with a more evolved creature of your choice!

To get the patch, launch the EA Download Manager to download and install it. If you didn't install the EADM when you installed Spore, you can get it fromhttp://files.ea.com/downloads/eacore/eadm-installer.exe.

This is a PC only patch. Mac users should check back soon!

Features
?   New Cheat: "evoadvantage". Enter this cheat when are starting a new Creature game to choose any creature from the Sporepedia. Start a new game with one of your more evolved creatures!
?   Display part statistics when you are in Build mode. Rollover any part and hold down the 'i' key.
?   New Cheat: "blocksmode". Turns creatures into their blocky representations.
?   More style filters. Open the cheat window and type: "stylefilter -microscope" or "stylefilter -norainbows" or "stylefilter -nextgen" to see the new styles
?   Added 70 new planet scripts with a low terraform score, especially of the "hot and high atmosphere" type

Graphics/Aesthetics
?   Animation improvements
?   Improved the planets fogging, blooming and lighting
?   Fixed animation issues with tool handling, hand walking and some of the more oddly shaped creatures

Tuning
?   Creature phase: Improved the pacing towards the end of the game, and increased the challenge in Normal and Hard modes.
?   Tribe phase: Increased the challenge in Normal and Hard difficulty modes.
?   Civilization phase: Increased the challenge in Normal and Hard difficulty modes.
?   Space phase: Made Empires in Easy and Normal modes demand reasonable amounts of money in exchange for peace and adjust the level of punishment if the player doesn't pay
?   Space phase: Made disasters less likely to occur in Easy and Normal modes and increased the time between each attack from the enemy empire when the player is at war.

Miscellaneous
?   Creature phase: Improved the way posse members behave during threatening situations and fights.
?   Space phase: Made finding your home world and colonies easier in the Galactic view.
?   Tribe phase: Made it so that tribe members can travel on steep hills if they need to do so now, but their speed will be reduced a lot.
?   Fixed an issue with attacks not working on some bigger animals and larger animals not dying correctly
?   Fixed collect mission not completing correctly when all parts have been collected
?   Fixed problems with the "Rolling Thunder" and "D?j? Vu" achievements not being awarded as they should
?   Fixed floating parts not being deducted from the budget when loaded into creator
?   Fixed an issue with the rotation rings not resizing correctly when a part was resized and improved their look
?   Fixed an issue where the terraforming score of planet could differ when revisiting a solar system
?   Fixed the keyboard controls for zoom & pitch in the Colony Planner not working properly
?   Fixed a crash that could occur when watching an epic creature attack a city
?   Fixed some issues where the game would freeze when using the Creature Tweaker tool or when capturing a planet in solar view
?   Fixed an issue where not all tribe members would obey the raid order when a large group was ordered to raid
?   Fixed an issue where banning a creation from one of your other saved games would black out the main menu

Darren Dirt

So with the DRM issue, and so many issues and patches etc. I wonder if instead of investing my hard earned coin on Spore, maybe I should play it safe and get this game? Thoughts?

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Darren Dirt on September 19, 2008, 04:19:02 PM
So with the DRM issue, and so many issues and patches etc. I wonder if instead of investing my hard earned coin on Spore, maybe I should play it safe and get this game? Thoughts?

Get the Orange Box, come for the Half Life 2 but stay for the Team Fortress!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Really, are you falling for the grippers of the internet?  Most PC games have patches in the first week.  Most MMOs don't even work for the first month.  Most console games (because they can now) need patches in the first 2 days.  The world is no different (save the patches) than it has been in the last 5 years of gaming.  Just more of the populous knows how to use the internet now and this includes more grippers to hear.

I may not agree with the DRM, but it doesn't take away from the game for me.  And the first Patch really does address some of the things I have noticed with the game.  The second patch when it comes won't really be for me, but certainly will be beneficial to those family or multiple people households.

I'd say decide for yourself, especially with PC games as they are so easy to get a 'demo copy' to try before you buy.

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Melbosa on September 19, 2008, 05:41:21 PM

Really, are you falling for the grippers of the internet?  Most PC games have patches in the first week.  blah blah blah

DUDE, did you even hover over the link of the "this game" ;) Of course I was being sarcastic... Or maybe I have a Dave Foleyesque speech impediment...

Melbosa

Quote from: Darren Dirt on September 20, 2008, 12:41:40 PM
DUDE, did you even hover over the link of the "this game" ;) Of course I was being sarcastic... Or maybe I have a Dave Foleyesque speech impediment...

I did, and still thought I should respond to your statement. :P