GBrowser -- enduring rumour no longer just vaporware

Started by Darren Dirt, September 02, 2008, 08:15:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

Ultimate test of speed: GOOGLE MAPS with Satellite + Labels ... over the eastern US seaboard (highest level, then mousewheel zoom in to almost the tightest level)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Lazybones

Darren Dirt

Lazybones

Darren Dirt

Just finished the Comic, and the final couple of pages couldn't resist a not-so-subtle jab...
http://www.google.com/googlebooks/chrome/images/37.jpg
http://www.google.com/googlebooks/chrome/images/38.jpg

and yes, I thought I recognized the style of the art. The brilliantly expressive Mr. McCloud, of course *forehead slap*

Quote from: Darren Dirt on September 03, 2008, 05:00:39 PM
Ultimate test of speed: GOOGLE MAPS with Satellite + Labels ... over the eastern US seaboard (highest level, then mousewheel zoom in to almost the tightest level)
First "speed test" I've found... A little too basic to really decide anything though ;)
http://lifehacker.com/5044668/beta-browser-speed-tests-which-is-fastest

Tom

Until Chrome allows the use of AdBlock, I can't see it being a success at all. And I seriously doubt Google will even allow one in its browser. Where do you think they make all their money? Especially now that they've picked up one of the old style add banner places...
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Tom on September 03, 2008, 06:00:24 PM
Until Chrome allows the use of AdBlock, I can't see it being a success at all. And I seriously doubt Google will even allow one in its browser. Where do you think they make all their money? Especially now that they've picked up one of the old style add banner places...

Just use this Bookmarklet I found and modified...

javascript:if(typeof%20window._tags!=%22string%22){_tags=%20%22iframe:object:embed:ilayer:frame:img%22%20;_ods=defaultStatus;_timods=null;_adBlock=function(t,n){if(!document.getElementsByTagName)return%20false;if(_timods)clearTimeout(_timods);defaultStatus='Blocking%20%22'+t+'%22...';var%20c=document.getElementsByTagName(t);if(c.length>0){for(var%20i=0;i<c.length;i++){switch(t){case%22object%22:if(c[i].outerHTML&&c[i].outerHTML!=%22-%22)c[i].outerHTML=%22-%22;break;case%22iframe%22:case%22img%22:if(c[i].src!=%22about:blank%22)c[i].src=%22about:blank%22;break;case%22embed%22:if(c[i].innerHTML&&c[i].innerHTML!=%22-%22)c[i].innerHTML=%22-%22}}};defaultStatus='Finished%20_adBlock(%22'+t+'%22)%20...%20click%20again%20to%20do%20next%20tag%20(%22'+n+'%22)';_timods=setTimeout('defaultStatus=_ods;_timods=null',5000)}};if(!_tags){void(0)}else{var%20artags=_tags.split(%22:%22);_tags=_tags.substring(artags[0].length+1);void(_adBlock(artags[0],artags[1]?artags[1]:%22-done-%22))}

Each click kills a particular element (based on TagName) ... should work in any DOM-based browser, I'm guessing :)

Tom

Mr. Analog

I like this little thumbnail thingy, it's pretty cool.

I'm really liking the crash safety, I just had one tab crash and the rest are a-ok!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

What they should have done was make sure it was impossible for tabs to crash in the first place ;)

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on September 03, 2008, 07:19:14 PM
What they should have done was make sure it was impossible for tabs to crash in the first place ;)

Yeah well, that would have been nice...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

enter .% in the omnibar and see what happens

As explained in the cartoon plugins tend to cause crashes and still hook to deep to sandbox without a rewrite.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on September 03, 2008, 10:07:26 PM
enter .% in the omnibar and see what happens

??? I didn't get anything, I am missing something?

It just searched for ".%".
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

oops should have been :% it is a bug that causes the whole browser to crash.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on September 04, 2008, 08:47:37 AM
oops should have been :% it is a bug that causes the whole browser to crash.

I'll give it a try :D
By Grabthar's Hammer