GBrowser -- enduring rumour no longer just vaporware

Started by Darren Dirt, September 02, 2008, 08:15:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 21, 2015, 08:40:26 AM
Yeh, remember those annoying Flash video ads mit der sound und der video? The ones you could block by turning off Flash?

HTML5

*that is all*

So wait, are you saying that HTML5 has made it so now it is tougher to skip all the crap on the modern-age web?

Well, maybe Google (the search engine team at least) is doing something -- rewarding "mobile friendly" sites(!)(?)
http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2015/04/20/websites-prep-for-googles-mobilegeddon

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

Yes, you can embed audio-visual stuff directly through HTML now, in fact the YouTube player works better in HTML5 (works on my machine sticker required)

It's gonna be fun to figure out how to block that crap when it really starts spreading
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Going to chime in to say I switched back to Firefox some time ago.

Although Firefox has adopted a similar rapid dev cycle like chrome I find there are far fewer random surprises weekly / monthly with updates.

Chrome seems to take a wrong turn / break something at the same rate they used to fix things.

However we now have apps  that are optimized for Chrome / Firefox or still IE.

While cross browser compatibility has improved, app venders still like to pick a preferred browser.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on April 21, 2015, 09:14:14 AM
While cross browser compatibility has improved, app venders still like to pick a preferred browser.

^THIS^ good god this

As a web dev for a short time it looked like things were smartening up but there is still a definite gap even using tools like JQuery and Bootstrap

Sometimes you have to just not have certain features because of incompatibility across the board

It's frustrating as hell sometimes
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

I used to be ok with Chrome's extra memory use. Back then it'd use a couple GB or maybe 4. Now it begins at 1-2, and just increases from there, now it just has worse performance and more crashes. Bonus?!?
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Thorin

Weird.  I had three tabs open, closed them, and got 600MB of memory back (4.1GB down to 3.5GB).  Keep in mind that I have Flashblock, Adblock, and Ghostery running and they each use up a separate amount of memory for each tab open.  Opened Chrome back up and went from 3.5GB to 3.9GB, so 400MB used after clean startup.  Mind you, I have my Chrome configured to not leave any background processes running when I close the last tab.  And I only have the three extensions.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

I always have a lot of tabs open. but it used to do a lot better than it does. I've also had to not install a crap load of adons due to them causing chrome to slow way down when loading pages.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!