Main Menu

Fallout 3

Started by Tonnica, October 28, 2008, 01:36:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on November 04, 2008, 09:52:32 AM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on November 04, 2008, 09:36:26 AM
Quote from: Lazybones on November 04, 2008, 09:29:49 AM
So I was playing a super goody goody, and then I finally broke down and started stealing. Turns out if you have super karma, and you steal it isn't so bad as long as you don't get caught.

It is possible to get your own place to live and it makes things so much easier. If you get the apt in megaton you can sleep when ever you want to heal, get unlimited secure storage, and access to filtered water (+20hp). Of course if you blow up the town you sort of don't have that option.

How'd you get your own place?

Well if you DON'T plan on blowing up the place, you could always defuse the threat of the bomb.

Ooooooh cool!

I killed that guy who wanted me to blow it up, and he killed the Sheriff and I took all their stuff lol
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on November 04, 2008, 09:55:25 AM
So I was playing a super goody goody, and then I finally broke down and started stealing. Turns out if you have super karma, and you steal it isn't so bad as long as you don't get caught.

It is possible to get your own place to live and it makes things so much easier. If you get the apt in megaton you can sleep when ever you want to heal, get unlimited secure storage, and access to filtered water (+20hp). Of course if you blow up the town you sort of don't have that option.

Well if you DON'T plan on blowing up the place, you could always defuse the threat of the bomb.

Ooooooh cool!

I killed that guy who wanted me to blow it up, and he killed the Sheriff and I took all their stuff lol

I had the same outcome, the reward can still be achieved, the Sheriff doesn't live alone and the quest accounts for his possible death. Go inspect the bomb and you will know what you need to do. PS Activate = Inspect  I was scared to inspect the bomb at first.

Mags

Quote from: Lazybones on November 04, 2008, 10:51:32 AM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on November 04, 2008, 09:55:25 AM

Ooooooh cool!

I had the same outcome, the reward can still be achieved, the Sheriff doesn't live alone and the quest accounts for his possible death. Go inspect the bomb and you will know what you need to do. PS Activate = Inspect  I was scared to inspect the bomb at first.

Yeah it is impossible to save the sheriff. If you shoot mister bad guy too soon the whole bar including the sheriff will turn on you. And even if you shoot baddie immediately after his first shot there isn't enough time to save him (at least in my attempts).

My suggestion when building a character, don't forget a lot of strength. You won't do too much melee fighting (or at least that seems to me the very hard way to do it), but you will need all that strength to carry the tonnes of crap you start getting after a few missions further away from megaton.

Yes I took lasers too :). It doesn't help too much in the beginning, but the laser rifle is a good outdoor weapon once you get a bit into the game. For me the most important skill is repair. Your weapons and armor start breaking down pretty fast, once you get past simple rats and roaches. Science, barter, speech, lock pick are important and a bit of sneak and medical also help. I have not put much into weapons because I always seem to need the others more, plus you will be switching weapons a lot so it's hard to specialize.

Just pass on for those that want a list of random things that you might not think you need but you do for the schematics I've found so far:

(*spoiler so I set it to white)

lawnmower blade
tin can
motorcycle gas tank
motorcycle hand break
conductor
fire hose nosel
turpentine
A(something soap) i'll double check that
Quantum nuke soda
lunch box
leaf blower
vacuum
pilot light

I'm sure I'm missing 2, so I'll update this next time.

and save these I won't tell you why :)
pre-war book
sugar bombs (sp? (it's a food))
scrap metal

"Bleed all over them, let them know you're there!"

Lazybones

PS. Listening to NPCs can be VERY important, if you missed it when you get the THEM mission there is an important tip about shooing them in the antenna, makes things MUCH easier if there are a few of THEM together to conserve ammo .

Tonnica

Quote from: Mags on November 04, 2008, 11:28:47 AMYeah it is impossible to save the sheriff. If you shoot mister bad guy too soon the whole bar including the sheriff will turn on you. And even if you shoot baddie immediately after his first shot there isn't enough time to save him (at least in my attempts).

It's almost impossible to save the Sheriff. I managed to save him by:
  • Having a very high karma (Good: Defender)
  • Standing next to and slightly behind Mister Burke for an 86% hit rate to his head
  • Waiting for the animation where he pulls his gun out before targeting him
  • Going into VATS and unloading a full clip of 10mm pistol shots into Burke's head (high repetition, low spread for 0 risk of hitting anyone else, so-so damage)

The timing of it is the key. I had gotten two shots in with VATS mode by the time Burke was able to fire off a single shot. It didn't count as attacking a Friendly so the bar didn't turn on me. And then Burke collapsed on to a table in a hilarious position with his butt up in the air. Then I stole his hat and sunglasses, put on my Tunnel Snakes jacket and the sunglasses and went "Eyyyyyy!".

Amazingly I got no additional karma in either direction for saving the sheriff's life. C'est la vie.

I think everyone is liking Lazers in this game even if they kind of stink at first. Easily lootable ash-piles for the win! The only complaint I've heard so far is they're not so great against Radscorpions. Heavily armoured creatures with no weak point like Radscorpions are more prone to damage from melee weapons and fire (so combine the two with a flaming sword to knock 'em out in 2-3 hits).

(Psssst you'll need an Explosives level of 25 just to interact with the bomb in Megaton so get cracking on raising that skill if you haven't already. The water pipes take a Repair level of 30 to fix and you'll want to hoard Scrap Metal like crazy, after fixing the pipes it becomes a huge commodity to sell back and maintain the pipes with or for schematics.)

Oh and as annoying as the Murlocks are, always scout around on the shorelines of the river for wrecked boats. Boats are wonderful sources of ammo and parts. If you head north from Megaton and cross over the river via the land bridge then start following the far shore north you'll eventually find a wrecked speedboat that has a power generator (not the exact name) that'll be required to make the RAILROAD GUN HECK YEAHHHHH.

Man I'm loving how some of the number crunching is a bit like playing a pen & paper RPG.

Mags

Quote from: Tonnica on November 04, 2008, 12:45:11 PM
Quote from: Mags on November 04, 2008, 11:28:47 AMYeah it is impossible to save the sheriff. If you shoot mister bad guy too soon the whole bar including the sheriff will turn on you. And even if you shoot baddie immediately after his first shot there isn't enough time to save him (at least in my attempts).

It's almost impossible to save the Sheriff. I managed to save him by:
  • Having a very high karma (Good: Defender)
  • Standing next to and slightly behind Mister Burke for an 86% hit rate to his head
  • Waiting for the animation where he pulls his gun out before targeting him
  • Going into VATS and unloading a full clip of 10mm pistol shots into Burke's head (high repetition, low spread for 0 risk of hitting anyone else, so-so damage)

The timing of it is the key. I had gotten two shots in with VATS mode by the time Burke was able to fire off a single shot. It didn't count as attacking a Friendly so the bar didn't turn on me. And then Burke collapsed on to a table in a hilarious position with his butt up in the air. Then I stole his hat and sunglasses, put on my Tunnel Snakes jacket and the sunglasses and went "Eyyyyyy!".
Nice timing

Oh and as annoying as the Murlocks are, always scout around on the shorelines of the river for wrecked boats. Boats are wonderful sources of ammo and parts. If you head north from Megaton and cross over the river via the land bridge then start following the far shore north you'll eventually find a wrecked speedboat that has a power generator (not the exact name) that'll be required to make the RAILROAD GUN HECK YEAHHHHH.

Man I'm loving how some of the number crunching is a bit like playing a pen & paper RPG.

Haven't found the RAILROAD GUN quest(schematic) yet, where did you find it?

Tonnica

Quote from: Mags on November 04, 2008, 01:02:06 PMHaven't found the RAILROAD GUN quest(schematic) yet, where did you find it?
I don't have it yet but I know where to find it. You can purchase it in the ghoul city of Underworld further into the DC Capital area. Gob the bartender at Muldoon's will give you a hint about the place if you're chummy with him. I think there may be another place to get the schematic but I didn't see any solid details last night.

Lazybones

Capital Wasteland Map powered by google

http://planetfallout.gamespy.com/maps/1/Capital-Wasteland

Might contain spoilers, but hell I am low on ammo again so I am willing to take a look.

Tonnica

Nice find, Lazy! I've been having a bit of a time with the subway system to get to GNR. Looks like my mistake was going too South or too East along the line. I should be able to find it now. :D

Mags

Just a note if you miss it like I did: the level cap in the game is 20. I think I'm no more then half way through the game and I've hit the cap so be mindful of that when updating your stats.

Lazybones

I already messed up my character build by spreading out my stats too much.. It is making the game a challenge, that is for sure.

Lazybones

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Lazybones on November 19, 2008, 03:49:45 PM
Zero Punctuation: Fallout 3
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/420-Fallout-3

"Yah, it's pretty good." LOL

Brilliant! Always my favorite part of Big Videogame Releases. Yahtzee's ripping it a new one. ;D

cf. http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/75-Oblivion (cuz it's the same game, apparently ;) )

as I was reading the comments re. the review, I noticed the Escapist forums are full of people who are "banned", most of them were banned in this thread. Some good (clean!) jokes in there.

PS: best part, unquestionably: 3:19-3:41
Make the game easier by just maxing your robber attributes! ;D

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mags

For those still playing I'm going to suggest going to the Deathclaw Sanctuary (*You'll want to go for one of your bobbleheads anyways. )

There is a unique gun in there called Vengeance that just rocks (Though feeding the thing is going to be interesting!).

A few things before you go though:
1) You'll probably want to make sure you have a companion at this point to help carry all the stuff you find in and around the cave. (There are several Traveling Merchants inside full stocked ready to loot, and don't miss the footlocker at the entrance.)
2) Deathclaws are pretty much the toughest mob in the game, so go loaded for bear.
3) See above, make sure you have a few levels under your belt or they will have your assticle for lunch. (I.E. I'm max level and the minigun takes a long while to mow them down.)

Mr. Analog

I must be crazy because I've zipped thru a lot of the content as a goodie-goodie, I'm about 4/5ths through already.

Granted I will go back and play again as a total badass but I'm surprised how fast things go if you just follow the core missions and only do a few side missions.

Holy crap though man, you were right about the books 100 caps per, I had over 20 books stored up in my locker in Megaton!
By Grabthar's Hammer