Main Menu

Fallout 3

Started by Tonnica, October 28, 2008, 01:36:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Mags on November 04, 2008, 01:02:06 PMHaven't found the RAILROAD GUN quest(schematic) yet, where did you find it?

I found it in the small outbuilding in the power station closest (northwest) to Minefield. It's on the workbench.

You'll need a pressure cooker, a crutch and a steam assembly (if I remember right).

It's a pretty good rifle, fast reload, accurate. Doesn't do super damage but there is a v2 and a v3 version of the schematic. Finding railroad spikes is a bitch sometimes though...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tonnica

Quote from: Lazybones on November 19, 2008, 03:49:45 PM
Zero Punctuation: Fallout 3
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/420-Fallout-3

"Yah, it's pretty good." LOL
I laughed at the review. :lol:
Yahtzee had a tough time saying anything bad about the game but that's pretty much expected. It's a good, solid game that's been prettied up. His talk of "Oblivion with guns" and hats implies he was lurking on a certain video stream watching someone play a certain leaked Russian copy before he got his hands on it. That amuses me greatly as I was watching the same feed.

I'm up to level 16 and have joined the Regulators. They are a group of vigilante law enforcers that collect the fingers of evil aligned characters as proof you're bringing Six-Gun Justice in the wasteland. They gave me a neat duster and it matches my Shady Hat perfectly. Forget Lucas Simm's cool hat, I look too cool already.

Funny thing I noticed I was talking about with Mr. A. Sometimes you'll kill someone for one reason or another and get positive karma and you're not sure why. Tenpenny didn't seem like that much of a jerk but the positive karma I got from splitting his noggin tells otherwise. I can't help but think he was telling me a cock-and-bull story about making an offhand comment to get rid of Megaton. Wily old coot wanting the trade route to himself.

The V2 version of the Railroad Gun is the one you can purchase from Underworld. Not sure where the V3 is.

Lazybones

The game IS very short, beatable in 8 hrs I think someone said if you just speed run the main quest. There are however lots of towns and other quests to do. If you listen to the RADIO you get hints to the start points of a bunch of missions.

According to forum posts the main quest is a very small part of the game, and it sort of ends the game if you complete it.

Mr. Analog

I just joined the Regulators as well, after getting attacked by four bears and a Mr. Gutsy...

Ah well, good stuff!

Y'know, I've yet to go to the underworld yet.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on December 01, 2008, 10:01:45 AM
The game IS very short, beatable in 8 hrs I think someone said if you just speed run the main quest. There are however lots of towns and other quests to do. If you listen to the RADIO you get hints to the start points of a bunch of missions.

According to forum posts the main quest is a very small part of the game, and it sort of ends the game if you complete it.

The game is as big as you make it I think, there's a whole ton of stuff I haven't done yet.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on December 01, 2008, 10:08:05 AM
The game is as big as you make it I think, there's a whole ton of stuff I haven't done yet.

Yep, from talking I know I have done several quests you have not, and that you are way further in the main quest than I am. I am surprised you didn't do "the Family" quest through as it is one of the ones you pickup in Megaton. Also by doing the survival guide quest in Megaton you get sent out in several directions which causes you do discover some places.

I guess this is the joy and pain of an open ended game.. Now if you don't mind spoilers the xbox forums have guides for the quests, MOST of them have 3 outcomes! Good, Neutral and Evil. When you think about that there could be a lot of replay in this game.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on December 01, 2008, 10:26:24 AM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on December 01, 2008, 10:08:05 AM

Yep, from talking I know I have done several quests you have not, and that you are way further in the main quest than I am. I am surprised you didn't do "the Family" quest through as it is one of the ones you pickup in Megaton. Also by doing the survival guide quest in Megaton you get sent out in several directions which causes you do discover some places.

I guess this is the joy and pain of an open ended game.. Now if you don't mind spoilers the xbox forums have guides for the quests, MOST of them have 3 outcomes! Good, Neutral and Evil. When you think about that there could be a lot of replay in this game.

Actually I finished "the Family" quest pretty quickly once I found 'em :)

But yeah, there are whole chunks of the world I haven't been to yet (like Paradise Falls). Then again I've wandered my way into some fun places.

I want to take on the "superheroes" in the Commons soon, and I also want to retrieve Lincoln's head...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Ok ok, I know this is an old thread but I've been playing F3 again and trying something totally different. I made a super-strong unarmed character and it's the most hilarious thing EVER!

Basically I wanted to see what it was like relying on fists more than guns and man, it is hilarious!

There's nothing quite as satisfying as chasing around Super Mutants who are running away from you because they are scared of a girl with a Power Fist (well, Fisto! to be exact). In fact, it's easier for my character to run headfirst into the minigun fire a Super Mutant Master is frantically blazing away with and then going all "punchy" on it with the power fist, it changes the game quite a bit. What else is interesting is that the damage done is like a cone so even if I get swarmed by wild dogs or ghouls I can still punch my way to awesome with little effort.

It's lead to a drastically different experience for me, in the past I've been mostly sneaky guy with guns not the run head first and start swinging type (though to be fair I think this was more anxiety driven tactics than anything else).

I've also been finding that if I carry the right combination of clothes I can boost my way through a lot of stuff (like Lesko's lab coat from the Those! quest for hacking terminals and a Raider Blast Master helmet for improving explosives when I have to disarm stuff or fire the Fat Man...)

Arrgh, Fallout 3 is one of those games that, for all its warts, I just keep coming back to. CURSE YOU BATHESDA!

If I'm not doing artwork tonight I'll probably be back in the DC Wasteland punching bad guys in the face!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

HOLY GOD the most annoying thing in a long time

As some of you know when Fallout 3 first came out through Steam you still had to activate it through Games for Windows Live, a thing that has become obsolete. Unfortunately you had to buy all the DLC through GFWL. Now there is still a client you can download and it's letting me download the DLC through it but I'm HOPING that I can still RUN IT because I get prompted for a Product CD Key which no longer exists in Steam.

I'm not going to buy the GOTY edition just to get the DLC I already paid for!!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Mr. Analog on June 19, 2014, 10:00:13 PMI'm not going to buy the GOTY edition just to get the DLC I already paid for!!

... fool me once shame on you ...

I bought the GOTY Edition (it was marked down, yay Steam Summer Sales)

ANYway I got it installed and went to run from the launcher and ... nothing.

I installed on Windows 7 64 bit edition and apparently there are a whole host of problems (which hopefully I don't run into) but to get things WORKING you have to install the Games for Windows client.

As soon as that was there the launcher ran just fine.

THE IRONY OF ALL THIS is if I was a PIRATE I wouldn't have to jump through all these hoops

...all these new games and I'm playing F3 again hee hah hoo
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on June 23, 2014, 10:04:37 AM

...I installed on Windows 7 64 bit edition and apparently there are a whole host of problems (which hopefully I don't run into) but to get things WORKING you have to install the Games for Windows client.

As soon as that was there the launcher ran just fine.

THE IRONY OF ALL THIS is if I was a PIRATE I wouldn't have to jump through all these hoops

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

It just exhausts me, here's a thing I love, Bethesda Softworks knows it, and puts the screws on for the PC release.

The other thing that exhausts me is what a cluster @%&# Games for Windows Live was, why was it so hard when they did it for XBox so well?

This is why you will absolutely not get me into the services offered in Windows 8, sure it works great in that ecosystem, but when W8 is in the bin you'll be buying the White Album again.

I look at Steam as an equally evil DRM overlord but they do more things right than wrong (usually).

Damn, it ain't easy NOT bein' a gangsta
By Grabthar's Hammer