"10 SciFi flicks for the THINKING man (or woman)"

Started by Darren Dirt, January 15, 2009, 05:25:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on January 09, 2012, 09:12:20 AM
Wow, really? "The Good One"? Maybe the first 2 seasons, after that I was seriously missing Dirk Benedict...

"Good" as in "the more easily MST3K-able" maybe?

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

I will say this: the old version was a certainly a product of it's time but at least it told a story that went places.

The updated version was a bit like Lost in that they go over the same territory multiple times and finished with a wholly unsatisfying end (if you can call it that).
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on January 09, 2012, 09:12:20 AM
Wow, really? "The Good One"? Maybe the first 2 seasons, after that I was seriously missing Dirk Benedict...

Portlandia BSG clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYjLrJRuMnY

okay the first season of HEROES was like this for me, is BSG really like that too?

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

The start of Heroes season 2 turned me off to the whole series.  Really?  The world's gonna blow up again?  Same as season 1, just bigger?

Heroes season 1 stood as a story unto itself.  After that they should have spun off on other storylines, instead of yet another world-ending storyline.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Thorin on February 03, 2012, 01:00:27 PM
The start of Heroes season 2 turned me off to the whole series.  Really?  The world's gonna blow up again?  Same as season 1, just bigger?

Heroes season 1 stood as a story unto itself.  After that they should have spun off on other storylines, instead of yet another world-ending storyline.

I got through Season 2 of Heroes pretty quick -- by not actually watching any episodes, I just skimmed the episode/character descriptions on Wikipedia :brillianttimesaver:

Thorin

Quote from: Darren Dirt on February 03, 2012, 03:14:44 PM

I got through Season 2 of Heroes pretty quick -- by not actually watching any episodes, I just skimmed the episode/character descriptions on Wikipedia :brillianttimesaver:

Yeah, that sounds super-entertaining.

Dammit, there's a Hunger Games movie coming out, now I'll have to read the books that almost everyone else in my family has already devoured.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on February 03, 2012, 04:03:13 PM
Quote from: Darren Dirt on February 03, 2012, 03:14:44 PM

Dammit, there's a Hunger Games movie coming out, now I'll have to read the books that almost everyone else in my family has already devoured.

Kinda like reading about a pizza, not really all that satisfying LOL

Yeah, I was pretty surprised to find out how popular Hunger Games was, I had no idea... until I joined tumblr which is like 89.7% weird fangirls
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Thorin on February 03, 2012, 04:03:13 PM
Perhaps less entertaining, but for more efficient.

And at least I wasn't held captive by slow pacing, ridiculous cliff-hangers, lame storylines (which I could just skip over and thus save me dozens of minutes of emotionally-manipulated non-surprise-twist video viewing). And if there was dialog mentioned I could still "slow it down" in my head and let the actor/character deliver the line perfectly in my mind without inducing cringes due to bad [over-]acting...

Thorin

Quote from: Mr. Analog on February 03, 2012, 04:10:30 PM
Yeah, I was pretty surprised to find out how popular Hunger Games was, I had no idea... until I joined tumblr which is like 89.7% weird fangirls

What the eff does that Ren & Stimpy stills video have to do with weird fangirls while talking about Hunger Games?

Also amazing, CowGirl likes the Hunger Games books even though they sound right up a dystopian-near-future's fan's alley.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

...the music man the music...

(it was the only version I could find that wasn't the theme from the film Saw :P )
By Grabthar's Hammer