Virtual Tabletops

Started by Thorin, May 29, 2009, 01:31:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

So given that there is a possible interest in playing D&D via a virtual tabletop program, I'm starting to look around.  The first one I've found is d20Pro.  I've found the user manual and from the actual instructions on how it works, d20Pro sounds powerful yet easy to use.  I'll try it out tonight and see if it really is as easy as suggested.

d20Pro does not have videoconferencing built in - that's something that iTabletop provides that many other VTs won't offer.  I'm not sure it's a dealbreaker for me, though.  But I do now the mapping functionality has to be easy, intuitive, and non-frustrating!

Anyway, d20Pro was clearly built for D&D or any d20-based system, so it's on my "maybe" list at the moment.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

Video confrencing isn't all that important, if we have to theres always voice chat either using the vt app or something like skype.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Melbosa

Or the phone, being we are all in the same time zone or have IP Telephony solutions.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Tom

That works too. I could setup a conference on my asterisk box. Or just use it to dial who ever. then use kphone or something on my pc. have to get a mic though.

The cool thing about sip though is it supports video, so we could do video with it too.

Thorin

Does anyone want to try d20Pro out with me sometime this week?  I'll just load up a short dungeon with some quick characters, and we can try using it in an actual game situation.

-----

d20Pro has:
- a map with a Fog of War effect that the DM controls
- an initiative bar on the left of the map that shows who's up next
- the ability to show the exact path a character or monster takes
- a log that records movement and rolls and story elements typed in by the DM
- a chat window that allows out-of-character messages
- a private chat window between each player and the DM, for secret out-of-character messages
- a really obvious way of finding your character's icon on the map
- the ability for the DM to freehand walls and doors on the map
- the ability to be out of combat (allows everyone to move at any time) or in combat (movement is strictly limited to whose turn it is)
- the ability to declare attacks; the program will roll dice and tell the DM the outcome, who then decides if it's a hit or miss and if it's a hit will subtract hit points from the target
- the ability to apply effects (for instance, the Barbarian can get a Rage effect applied to him, altering his Strength, Constitution, and Dexterity temporarily)
- keeps track of the duration of these effects
- the ability for the DM to override any actions and outcomes
- the ability to roll skill checks and saving throws
- when casting spells, keeps track of what spells you still have memorized (can be overridden with Freeform Spells in case the program can't handle your spellcasting class)
- programmed in Java so should work in Linux and Mac as well as Windows (where I tested it)

Things that bugged me:
- took me a little while to figure out how to start a new blank map
- on blank maps, the Fog of War is black and wall lines are black, so it's hard to tell if there's a wall or the DM just hasn't removed the Fog of War effect
- spells generally require an effect, even if it's an instantaneous one; this was not immediately clear to me
- how to enter effects wasn't explained; once I understood the interface, this wasn't a problem
- the Log and Chat windows are below the map taking up valuable real estate; if they were on the side, then on widescreen monitors the map could be bigger
- not enough detail about how modifiers were worked out for die rolls

Something that I hadn't even considered:
This program could be used at an in-person game.  The DM would run the DM client on a computer, and have a second computer hooked up to a big monitor or flatscreen TV for the players to see (or possibly run both on one computer hooked up to two screens).  This would reduce the amount of time spent by the Thorin Rendering Engine drawing the battlefield, and would also ensure the DM can see how the action is lining up (and the DM can even put hidden foes on the battlefield and reveal them as a surprise when it's time for them to take their turn, mwahahaha!).
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Thorin

Another one I'm looking at is MapTools from http://www.rptools.net/.  It's more fleshed out than d20Pro, plus it's free instead of pay-for-use.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Melbosa

Quote from: Thorin on June 03, 2009, 12:59:39 PM
Something that I hadn't even considered:
This program could be used at an in-person game.  The DM would run the DM client on a computer, and have a second computer hooked up to a big monitor or flatscreen TV for the players to see (or possibly run both on one computer hooked up to two screens).  This would reduce the amount of time spent by the Thorin Rendering Engine drawing the battlefield, and would also ensure the DM can see how the action is lining up (and the DM can even put hidden foes on the battlefield and reveal them as a surprise when it's time for them to take their turn, mwahahaha!).

I'm not sure about most of you, but this is something very possible in my house, where I have a computer hooked to my TV and a laptop that could be used by the GM.  A nice idea indeed.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Tom

It'd be something neat to try. thats for sure.

Thorin

Yeah, as long as the DM's prepared electronic maps or the mapping tool has good draw-on-the-fly abilities.

Imagine if you got a flat-screen and laid it down on the table?  Still got the map, but it's now electronic.  You'd put some glass or something over it, of course.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Thorin

Okay, MapTools.  Holy, it does lots, but I'm already getting lost trying to follow the bloody tutorials!

I wasn't able to quickly start a server and client and see how they interact, and there don't appear to be freehand wall and door drawing tools.  Although they could be buried in there somewhere...
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful