Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World trailer

Started by Lazybones, March 26, 2010, 12:31:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWIHraKhk6c

Very strange looking file that is apparently based off of a comic.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on March 26, 2010, 08:04:47 AM
That looks good. Great find.

my guess where = http://scottmccloud.com/2010/03/19/random-friday-stuff/ , http://scottmccloud.com/2010/03/26/i-dont-know-about-you-but-this-is-the-superhero-movie-ive-been-waiting-for/

But yeah, will be nice to see him doing a different role than almost every one he's done so far... For once he's not portraying a teenager :)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Darren Dirt

in the same spirit of that particular visual style of storytelling...

College Humour ftw -- omg DAN is finally NOT the butt of jokes / victim of pranks/badluck (November 2010)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66hSiRgbgX0

Mr. Analog

GAH!!

There's some stuff that will never translate from animation to reality (and thank god for that).

As for Scott Pilgrim vs the World it was one of those movies you either liked or hated, I haven't seen it yet but I know that it was a box office flop but I also know it was well received by critics. I guess the thing holding me back is that it looks noisy, annoying and superficial (I know that this style is trying to make that all "ironic" by being deep while appearing superficial it just comes off as actually annoying to me).

One of these days I'll watch it and probably be really surprised, for now it needs to age a bit before I watch it haha.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

I watched the film.  Its a Real Live Action video game.  Humour is strange, but worth it for any 8bit gamer IMO.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Melbosa on December 01, 2010, 09:38:43 PMI watched the film.  Its a Real Live Action video game.
Ugh, see that's what I'm afraid of seeing.

In the last decade it was kind of neat seeing the odd "1UP" mushroom on a shirt or getting a video game reference in a film or TV show, now it's just... pass?. Like drug references in a 70s movie, the obligatory musical montage of the 80s or the "dark n' weird" settings of the 90s. It was fun for a bit but lets move on already...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on December 01, 2010, 11:01:30 PM
Quote from: Melbosa on December 01, 2010, 09:38:43 PMI watched the film.  Its a Real Live Action video game.
Ugh, see that's what I'm afraid of seeing.

In the last decade it was kind of neat seeing the odd "1UP" mushroom on a shirt or getting a video game reference in a film or TV show, now it's just... pass?. Like drug references in a 70s movie, the obligatory musical montage of the 80s or the "dark n' weird" settings of the 90s. It was fun for a bit but lets move on already...

From what I've heard, Mel's description is accurate, BUT not doing it justice.

Maybe better to say it's like a video game with live actors, rather than the modern equiv. to the Bob Hoskins travesty "Super Mario Bros."

I for one have been encouraged to see it by a number of people, both young and "old" (meaning over 30 ;) )

Thorin

I watched Scott Pilgrim a week or two after having watched Kickass.  Whereas Kickass was about ordinary humans trying to be heroes (Batman-style), Scott Pilgrim is more a story of a kinda-dork trying to date the mysterious new girl.  Kickass had awesome effects that (mostly) seem plausible in reality.  Scott Pilgrim followed its comic heritage and put scenes based video games in the movie.  What's interesting is the contrast between the regular life-as-we-know-it scenes and the only-in-a-game scenes.

I liked both.  I get what you're saying; there's been enough hokey game-based movies lately.  I didn't find either of these movies hokey, though.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

I guess I'm still on the fence with it then :)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

It is not a Video Game made into a Movie (Tomb Raider, Mortal Kombat, Doom, etc), or something trying to mimic or merge a video game or two in a feature film.  It is a Live Action Video Game in Movie Format, just set in full demo mode (as you don't have the interactive elements of a game).  Picture any game you have finished recently and and now picture yourself sitting on a couch watching the screen while someone else plays through the game.  Omit the parts where you would die or have to reload many times to finish a part, covert CGI to live actors and special effect, and you basically have an idea of what you are going to see in this movie.

I see the non-game elements of the movie as cut-scenes between game levels, and the beginning scenes are like a good RPGs intro sequence and the ending is the same.  Each major scene is another level of the game.  The main character strife and romance woes is very typical of a SquareSoft fantasy game, so is the transition from ordinary to extra ordinary. Although there are moments of traditional film, conflict or satyr in the movie, it in my mind flows more akin to the Arcade Games of 8bit days with a combination of 8bit RPGs like the Final Fantasy games.

I saw a significant difference between this movie and other Video Game Movies. When you watch I think you will too.

Sorry my first response was so short, on training this week, so have limited access to forums.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Melbosa on December 02, 2010, 01:59:29 PM
Picture any game you have finished recently and and now picture yourself sitting on a couch watching the screen while someone else plays through the game.  Omit the parts where you would die or have to reload many times to finish a part, covert CGI to live actors and special effect, and you basically have an idea of what you are going to see in this movie.

^ winner of thread.

Mr. Analog

Personally, I hate cutscenes hahahaha (except for the cutscenes in Bayonetta, those I like ROFL)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on December 02, 2010, 10:05:20 PM
Personally, I hate cutscenes hahahaha (except for the cutscenes in Bayonetta, those I like ROFL)

Bayonetta? whuts dat?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo4v4V5eksM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqgtpTkCQ3Q

Oh. :popcorn:

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer