"Alien" fans: the "Space Jockey" story finally going to be told

Started by Darren Dirt, June 14, 2010, 11:15:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on January 03, 2018, 01:35:30 PM
Prometheus was a train wreck and I don't think I want to watch any more Alien movies after that. It was stupid, the concept behind it is stupid and it made me stupider for having seen it. I award it no points, and may God have mercy on its soul.

Alien and Aliens is basically all I care to re-watch at this point, life goo ancient astronauts was a good X-Files story arc but a @%&#ty Alien one

Funny you should that. ALIENS is actually what I was reminded of at least a couple times during Convenant. Maybe it's the editing or camera work, but it created the same kind of claustrophobic tension a lot of scenes.

Also, I was reminded a little bit -- and in a good way -- of the third act of "Watchmen". I mean, David even quotes the Ozymandias poem (and it ties into the plot, it's not just artsy fartsy pretentious bad writing)... so it's not just mindless action movie, there's a pretty coherent and surprisingly interesting sci fi plot here too. That coulda worked as a 1990s Outer Limits episode too (or maybe even Black Mirror) even if you removed the "Aliens" element.

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Darren Dirt

Since this thread has much talk about "Ghostbusters: ATC", and with the recent announcement of the "ALL GRRRLZ" Terminator film... Sharing this here.

Take a look at this excellent, calm, level-headed, fact-filled article about "she-boots" being a bad idea.

https://medium.com/@matthewkadish/why-all-female-reboots-do-not-work-storycraft-5d5b6658dfa

The first page or two is full of disclaimers and pre-emptive clarifications against attacks by presumptuous feminists calling the author misogynistic etc. Sad that in this time in history that's pretty much mandatory for the subject.

...for those of you who may already be offended by this essay?s title, let me state up front:

I am not saying female characters are bad.
I am not saying female actresses cannot carry a movie.
I am not saying audiences reject female-centric stories.
I am not, in any way, shape, or form, trying to prove that women are inferior to men.

But the article is really good, has a lot of interesting** numbers on a whole lot of different aspects of the film industry, genres, and yes gender.

And it is a reminder that, from a business point of view at the very least, you may start from a place of good intentions, but it is critical to avoid the now-common mistake of diving deep into the territory of blind alienation/vilification of a large part of your possible[/historical] audience.

**for example: Comedy is tops, and petty much equal for men and women. And all variants of "action" seem to do better than romance, but westerns as a genre do worse than erotica.

Mr. Analog

I make no illusions that the industry mostly just chases whatever the accountants think is bankable which is why I think "the blockbuster" style movie needs to die. Going back and watching movies from the 70s is refreshing, and there are still good movies out there gettin' made, they just aren't all that popular with the people who feed the industry right now.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

My last 2 years of NetFlix non-documentary film viewing is like 2 or 3 well known flicks then 1 low budget indie scifi... The latter is about 90% thumbs up. Not true for the former.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Darren Dirt on September 02, 2018, 07:03:02 PM
My lasy 2 years of NetFlix non-documentary film viewing is like 2 or 3 well known flicks then 1 low budget indie scifi... The latter is about 90% thumbs up. Not true for the former.

I'm just thankful for the variety we have now
By Grabthar's Hammer