"Alien" fans: the "Space Jockey" story finally going to be told

Started by Darren Dirt, June 14, 2010, 11:15:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

Since my last post I watched Half In The Bag episodes 55 right through to their latest (#113) ... my eyeballs and brain hurts. But I laughed a TON. (There's an ongoing "story arc" that bookends each episode! Genius... and brutal how it ends ;) )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4u-HLm8maE&list=PL34C1F26D03F5F9B8&index=67

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Darren Dirt on August 02, 2016, 09:04:07 PM

heh, glad you actually watched the video I linked to -- many of the comments there said it was far more entertaining, and funny, than Ghostbusthers :) The Red Letter Media guys are still going strong without becoming formulaic, hooray!

I guess failure is no obstacle to buying into repeatedly PC BS ...
http://deadline.com/2016/08/oceans-eight-rihanna-anne-hathaway-sandra-bullock-cate-blanchett-awkwafina-helena-bonham-carter-mindy-kaling-1201801342/
"What?s next, 12 ANGRY WOMEN?" <-- one comment

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on August 10, 2016, 11:22:38 AM
That actually sounds like a good concept though so???

IMO this is dangerous territory for investing a few hundred million into production/marketing. The reason Ocean's 11/12/13 were actually pretty successful was because they were FUN entertainment with interesting characters that had chemistry amongst each other. It was never about them being a certain gender.

The *stunt* casting for this new "8" possible film seems to be less about who might click together, and more about who will get the Twitterverse speculating about every aspect of the project until it finally gets released (after a dozen "test audience" feedback edits, of course).

I mean, most roles undertaken by ANY of Rihanna or Anne Hathaway or Sandra Bullock -- or even arguably Cate Blanchett or Helena Bonham Carter -- have been less than memorable, and those actresses in those roles could have been easily replaced by any of a handful of other potentials at the time of production. Imagine an ensemble of that kind of "talent".

Hollyweird is just a chicken-@%&# producer of relatively safe IP reusage now. :(

/GrumpyOldManMode

Mr. Analog

?????????

The original Ocean's Eleven (1960) was a mix of actors / musicians this is the same but with contemporary actors / musicians

QuoteThe reason Ocean's 11/12/13 were actually pretty successful was because they were FUN entertainment with interesting characters that had chemistry amongst each other.

How is this any different?

Quoterelatively safe IP reusage

Now THAT'S the actual problem, the entertainment industry in general is taking a hit thanks to the internet, not because of piracy but because it has taken over as a source of entertainment. As a result Hollywood (etc) is doing less risky things like making original movies (or even making interesting movies.)

I reckon more time has been spent by people complaining about Ghostbusters 2016 than the collective viewing time of the actual film, but that's the world we live in. People love to bitch, and they love to bitch online and social media people hired by the industry love it because it functions as a way to advertise @%&# for very little investment with just a bit of nudging.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

The difference is in the individuals, I guess that's a pretty subjective thing.

IIRC when the Ocean's 11 remake was talked about in advance, most of the known cast each had a certain expectation based on how they had previously appeared on-screen, in terms of personality, you know, "presence". It was clearly going to be a fun little ride. You would expect some *chemistry* amongst the A-listers, and some quirky silliness with the secondary characters, etc.

And it delivered, the dialog plus the actors.

Maybe it's this type of subgenre, the heist film, but imo most of the specific actresses mentioned don't seem a good fit. Again, subjective thing.

I mean, why not have an ensemble film with this new cast that is a different IP, so they don't have to go through a similar heist story that will of course be compared to the original and the remake... #SafeMoviesAreNoFun

Darren Dirt

Ghostbusthers: no profit, no sequel.

https://twitter.com/StefanMolyneux/status/763392944036425731
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ghostbusters-heading-70m-loss-sequel-918515
"Heading for $70M-Plus Loss"

As of Aug. 7, Ghostbusters had earned just under $180 million at the global box office, including $117 million domestic. The film still hasn't opened in a few markets, including France, Japan and Mexico, but box-office experts say it will have trouble getting to $225 million despite a hefty net production budget of $144 million plus a big marketing spend. The studio has said break-even would be $300 million.

Darren Dirt

re. The Prometheus sequel "Alien: Covenant" -- some news if anyone cares...

The human survivor (Elizabeth "terrible scientist, amazing blood clotting" Shaw) might not be returning; one IMDB'er says "they're still in the process of casting the main roles -- it picks up 10 years after the events of Prometheus, with a new crew stumbling upon the remains of the Prometheus ship and the planet's sole inhabitant, Fassbender's David"

from this thread http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2316204/board/nest/262089122?d=262096899#262096899

Mr. Analog

Coming back to Prometheus... which I STILL haven't seen yet, I have to say I'm curious still and it's on my watch list. If for the only reason to see if Ridley Scott has still "got it" (my guess is "sorta?")

I can't say I'm surprised there's gonna be a sequel what with all the monies it made, it would be a shame if they break continuity with characters though but I suspect that's as not important to the producers as it is to us

I recently re-watched the "Alien" movies I own (which is to say the first three; Dark Star, Alien and Aliens) out of curiosity I looked up other films in the series to see if I had the urge to actually re-watch them... I actually kind of forgot Alien: Resurrection even existed ... also that Joss Whedon wrote it (how!?) I don't feel that the series could be damaged after some of the clunkers that have been associated with them (like Terminator!)

Maybe I'll put it on my insomnia list... to watch later
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Oh yeah (OT) speaking of unnecessary movies, the four sequels to Avatar are set to begin filming next year

Finally more nonsensical giant sexy smurf action (I hear the bad guy gets TWO MUGS in the next one!)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Prometheus is worth watching at least once, VISUALLY it excels and has a few neat ideas. Tone overall feels like something out of the 80s or 90s at times even.

Just imo execution or editing is a bit meh, I mean the story has mothership-sized plot holes that make watching CinemaSins afterwards mandatory but fun!

It's a bit under-rated because of those plot problems, which really boil down to flawed characters. Watch without seeing the trailers and you'll enjoy the ride.

Sequel happening a decade later = might be to make it more accessible to those who didn't bother with the first...

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Darren Dirt on August 10, 2016, 07:19:16 PM
Ghostbusthers: no profit, no sequel.

https://twitter.com/StefanMolyneux/status/763392944036425731
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ghostbusters-heading-70m-loss-sequel-918515
"Heading for $70M-Plus Loss"

As of Aug. 7, Ghostbusters had earned just under $180 million at the global box office, including $117 million domestic. The film still hasn't opened in a few markets, including France, Japan and Mexico, but box-office experts say it will have trouble getting to $225 million despite a hefty net production budget of $144 million plus a big marketing spend. The studio has said break-even would be $300 million.

A new year, and a new PERSPECTIVE on this mess.

At least we got a FANTASTIC hour-long Mr. Plinkett out of it! Solid analysis, very very cool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHUV8QLpEAc

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on November 14, 2016, 02:59:15 PM
Coming back to Prometheus... which I STILL haven't seen yet, I have to say I'm curious still and it's on my watch list. If for the only reason to see if Ridley Scott has still "got it" (my guess is "sorta?")

I am guessing you have seen it by now.

And probably was just as underwhelmed / disappointed as most of us. These characters were supposed to be *scientists* FFS...

Plenty of interesting "analysis" videos on YouTube since its release though, making it seem to be not nearly as bad a film as it felt the first viewing.

HOWEVER, I just saw "Alien: Covenant" last night and dammit I really enjoyed it, very tense in the right moments, a nice balance of comic relief (and Danny McBride was NOT the source of every laugh, which was a nice surprise). At the end of it I realized my stomach was almost sore from all the tightening up -- instead of my eyes hurting from rolling so often like Promotheus. And it is not an exaggeration to say by the 3rd act you realize that the REAL monster is not the "aliens". Heck, almost had a Black Mirror feeling when a certain realization hit.

Also there's a twist in a certain scene that I kinda expected but it's not super obvious so my brother commented on how it surprised him. The storyline was that much better than Prometheus, that it could have went either way. So yeah IMO recommended, overall a much tighter production than "Promotheus" and not nearly as bad as some silly reviewers might have said (can't remember if it was RLM or maybe Cinema Sins... but IIRC many of their complaints/comments seemed to completely ignore or forget the fact of the whole "David" storyline -- can't say more because spoilers.)

Mr. Analog

Prometheus was a train wreck and I don't think I want to watch any more Alien movies after that. It was stupid, the concept behind it is stupid and it made me stupider for having seen it. I award it no points, and may God have mercy on its soul.

Alien and Aliens is basically all I care to re-watch at this point, life goo ancient astronauts was a good X-Files story arc but a @%&#ty Alien one
By Grabthar's Hammer