windows networking problems

Started by Tom, July 21, 2010, 07:25:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

I've sold my old laptop, and I'm having no end of trouble trying to get it to connect to the new owner's wifi. It'll connect to mine just fine, but not theirs. It'll authenticate, but once its connected no traffic will "flow". No DHCP, no nothing.

I've tried everything I could find on the intertubes. I've even tried TWO different wireless cards. Both have the same problem. I can only think its something wrong with the windows install, even though its fresh as of a couple days ago.

Their wifi works fine with other devices (a couple ipod touches, and a ps3 slim), and as I mentioned, the laptop can connect to my wifi just fine.

Any of you windows guru's got any clue? I'm stumped.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Have you tried disabling the wired NIC? I've heard that it can cause issues on some laptops.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on July 21, 2010, 08:17:25 PM
Have you tried disabling the wired NIC? I've heard that it can cause issues on some laptops.
I hadn't. But it didn't help. :(

Lazybones

Did the owner set up MAC filtering an forget about it?

Sounds like an issue with the access point if you have tried two completely different addaptors.

What brand is the access point and is it running current firmware?

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on July 21, 2010, 09:33:57 PM
Did the owner set up MAC filtering an forget about it?

Sounds like an issue with the access point if you have tried two completely different addaptors.

What brand is the access point and is it running current firmware?

No mac filtering. I set it up for them recently to lock out people from accessing their internet (wep only though, their ps3 slim didn't like wpa1).

The access point is an older B only Linksys router. looks like a wrt54g, but B only. and I upgraded its firmware earlier today. I tried just about everything.

It works fine with /other/ devices as is. Just not any connected to the old laptop. It's mighty strange.

Melbosa

Tried hard coding the Channel on both devices?  Tried an easier passphrase?  Tried without security to see if it will connect then?
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Tom

It works now. It may have had something to do with the adapter and the ap not agreeing how to convert a wep passphrase into a key. But after getting a copy of their wep key just to make sure, and testing in linux, then back in windows, things started working. Don't ask me.

To be honest I don't get why windows was saying the connection was authenticated, when it shouldn't have been if it was a key issue.

Mr. Analog

Unexplained @%&# in Windows could fill volumes...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on July 22, 2010, 06:10:38 PM
I've heard a rumor that windows will just not notice if a WEP key is wrong with some cards, and just discard packets because they are invalid (still encrypted or decrypted wrong).

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on July 22, 2010, 06:59:32 PM
I've heard a rumor that windows will just not notice if a WEP key is wrong with some cards, and just discard packets because they are invalid (still encrypted or decrypted wrong).

Ick, that blows
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

You shouldn't use WEP anyway since it can be completely defeated, unless you have to support a first gen DS or something else that is so old that, is all it supports.

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on July 23, 2010, 01:49:05 AM
You shouldn't use WEP anyway since it can be completely defeated, unless you have to support a first gen DS or something else that is so old that, is all it supports.
I tried all I could to get their PS3 slim to work with wpa. It just wouldn't work. So I had to go the next best route. And here in the park, it really doesn't matter. I doubt that anyone will even attempt to crack their wifi. The only reason I set any encryption up is cause I knew some people were leeching their internet. even wep should be enough to stop that.

Quote from: Mr. Analog on July 22, 2010, 11:44:42 PM
Quote from: Tom on July 22, 2010, 06:59:32 PM

Ick, that blows
And I only wasted a day and a half on it. ;D

Thorin

Quote from: Lazybones on July 23, 2010, 01:49:05 AM

Umm...  I have that?  What I did was turn on MAC filtering.  I have WEP set up so that most people don't bother trying to use my wifi.  For those bent on cracking the password, well, their MAC address isn't in my list anyway.  If friends were to ask for access, I'd simply add their device's MAC address to the list.

But as a network techie, I'm sure you're already well aware of MAC filtering...  In fact didn't you suggest it to him at some point?

Quote from: Tom on July 23, 2010, 03:00:53 AM
here in the park, it really doesn't matter. I doubt that anyone will even attempt to crack their wifi. The only reason I set any encryption up is cause I knew some people were leeching their internet. even wep should be enough to stop that.

I say if they're smart enough to know how to crack WEP, they should be in computers :)
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

I have to use WEP for the Wii...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

I'm pretty sure the Wii supports WPA/WPA2. :o

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on July 23, 2010, 02:42:57 PM

Oop, so they are, I guess I can finally stop broadcasting openly ;)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on July 23, 2010, 02:46:51 PM
Quote from: Tom on July 23, 2010, 02:42:57 PM

Oop, so they are, I guess I can finally stop broadcasting openly ;)
Openish ;D its not as open as a wide open ap.. but still possible for enthusiasts to crack ;D

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on July 23, 2010, 02:40:48 PM

The wii supports WPA just fine, even WPA2... Only the old DS needs wep or less.

As a basic deterrent to leaching WEP and MAC filters are maybe enough... However the same tools that let you crack WEP will also let you sniff MAC addresses that you can then clone... Anyway the point being, it is not enough for business for example.

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on July 23, 2010, 10:51:00 PM

As a basic deterrent to leaching WEP and MAC filters are maybe enough... However the same tools that let you crack WEP will also let you sniff MAC addresses that you can then clone... Anyway the point being, it is not enough for business for example.
Fine for my neighbour in the trailer park though. I'd have used WPA if his stupid ps3 would work with it.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on July 23, 2010, 10:51:00 PM

Oh yeah! Tonnica was using it to trade Pokeymans with her friend the other day... maybe that's what I was thinking.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on July 24, 2010, 09:42:40 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on July 24, 2010, 08:54:21 PM
WPA2 vulnerability found:
http://www.networkworld.com/newsletters/wireless/2010/072610wireless1.html

Well that sucks... At least they can't join and use the network , only snoop and dos it.
From the sounds of it, it can only be used if you're already authenticated, so its more of a concern for service providers than home users.