The Cost of games and the impact of sales

Started by Lazybones, March 17, 2011, 10:17:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

http://www.shacknews.com/article/57308/valve-left-4-dead-half
This is old news but I still find the numbers boggling, it also probably explains why people snap up all those 99c games on phones...

QuoteThe massive Steam holiday sale was also a big win for Valve and its partners. The following holiday sales data was released, showing the sales breakdown organized by price reduction:

10% sale = 35% increase in sales (real dollars, not units shipped)
25% sale = 245% increase in sales
50% sale = 320% increase in sales
75% sale = 1470% increase in sales

Melbosa

I read somewhere that PC market for games might be higher than that of Consoles now due to online digital distribution, which isn't calculated the same way as box sales at the moment. So as such, the number are not accurate for any given games sales on the PC platform if there is a digital distribution of the product.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

I think they're finally starting to figure out that >$40 give most people pause, but anything under that is fairly enticing...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Its something I never quite got. I'm sure they have financial wizzes in those big conglomerates that can do math... And that they knew that they'd get more profit with lower price points, so why don't they do it? I don't really know.

Heck theres some software I'd own right now if it wasn't absurdly over priced right now (*cough*windows 7*cough*).
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Just think about Photoshop man, THAT'S ridiculous.
By Grabthar's Hammer