Philip K. Dick's "counterfeit worlds" PKD disclosed the real "Matrix" in 1977?

Started by Darren Dirt, October 12, 2011, 12:55:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

I think a lot of long term drug users have similar feelings/experiences of near schizophrenia or having a general sense of unreality.

I know when I was having the worst of my panic attacks there was a very real feeling of unreality (due to vasoconstriction and a burst of adrenaline), like I was watching my life instead of living it. It's a very unnatural feeling that is very difficult to impart but I can understand how these feelings could be interpreted as another reality.

What I find interesting about PKDs works more than anything else is how he started weaving stories together from these many experiences. Reading some of his work now is quite interesting because many of the more conflicting feelings are the sorts of things you feel when you are out of sorts :)

The only sad note was that most of the people sitting there smirking had no idea what schizophrenia is or how damaging long term drug abuse can be to our sense of perception or why Dick felt like he had to vocalize his feelings in public. When you are having mental problems you reach out for others who may have shared a similar experience (to prove to yourself that you aren't "crazy"). Then again, if I was at a Science Fiction convention and some author came up and stated that they think their fantasy world may in fact exist it would be difficult to take them seriously (Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and his fairies and all that stuff...)

*shrug*

A better synopsis would have helped as I'm sure no one else will have watched this video. I don't recall if there are many PKD fans on this forum (or failing that, that knew he suffered from schizophrenia.)
By Grabthar's Hammer