Main Menu

The Barn

Started by Thorin, May 21, 2012, 01:57:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

So tonight I decided to go out and get a bunch of experience killing monsters, and I travelled far and wide exploring while killing.  Then I chanced upon some cows.  Some cows!  But of course I didn't have any wheat, so in the middle of nowhere is a little farm field with a fence around it and a crafting table next to it.

Anyway, I got the cows to follow me once I had wheat.  There were also chickens and pigs and sheep, but by the time I got back to my hotel I'd lost a few.  I had four cows, two pigs, one sheep, and one chicken.  And it took four bloody Minecraft days and nights!

So then I popped 'em into my little animal enclosure at the hotel, but it was pretty crowded.  I set about building a barn for them, and that's the screenshots attached here.

So I finally have my cows!  And anyone who wants / needs leather or eggs, just ask :)
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Thorin

A couple more screenshots, plus the Minecraft Overviewer location: http://mc.tomasu.org/#/65/64/776/max/0/0

Also, that little farm field in the middle of nowhere: http://mc.tomasu.org/#/257/64/1420/max/0/0
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

LennyLen

On the subject of farms...   Since I built my subterranean farm, I haven't been using the one around the base of my tower near Spawn City, so if anyone wants farm animals, go for it.  Just leave at least one breedable pair behind for others.  There are two corral sections of the farm, one in front and one behind the tower that you can use to lure out small groups of animals without letting too many out.

Mr. Analog

First of all that sounds awesome Thorin hahah, and man, that's quite the setup, bigger than the hotel almost!

Lenny! Thank you, I'll be breeding sheep mostly to get wool, there's a big art project I want to do soon heh :D
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Quote from: LennyLen on May 21, 2012, 07:47:34 AM
On the subject of farms...   Since I built my subterranean farm, I haven't been using the one around the base of my tower near Spawn City, so if anyone wants farm animals, go for it.  Just leave at least one breedable pair behind for others.  There are two corral sections of the farm, one in front and one behind the tower that you can use to lure out small groups of animals without letting too many out.

Yeah, underground stuff really is easier to do in Minecraft.  I might steal a chicken and a sheep, just so I have breeding pairs in my barn.

Quote from: Mr. Analog on May 21, 2012, 12:32:47 PM
First of all that sounds awesome Thorin hahah, and man, that's quite the setup, bigger than the hotel almost!

Yeah, it's good-sized, but it's the roof that makes it look huge.  I might've miscounted the Minecraft days - it took about two hours actual time to get them back to the hotel.  Boy howdy, that's some patient work there, herding cattle.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on May 21, 2012, 02:52:26 PM
Quote from: LennyLen on May 21, 2012, 07:47:34 AM

Yeah, underground stuff really is easier to do in Minecraft.  I might steal a chicken and a sheep, just so I have breeding pairs in my barn.

Quote from: Mr. Analog on May 21, 2012, 12:32:47 PM

Yeah, it's good-sized, but it's the roof that makes it look huge.  I might've miscounted the Minecraft days - it took about two hours actual time to get them back to the hotel.  Boy howdy, that's some patient work there, herding cattle.
Next you need to start breeding ocelots.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Thorin

Are you saying it'd be like herding cats? :)

I'm just happy to get some cows.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on May 21, 2012, 09:11:48 PM
Are you saying it'd be like herding cats? :)

I'm just happy to get some cows.
I remember building a barn back on the old map. It was not that much fun. It would have been ok if the animals would just stay in their pens. :( I /hope/ that is fixed.

Mr. Analog

Yeah, I used to have a problem with chickens wandering off though walls, very annoying
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

I haven't had any animals wander off yet, although it's only been a day.  And I've had stationary carts go through solid blocks, so chickens, at least they could say they flew through a tiny gap.  But yeah, Minecraft's downside is the glitchy-glitchy.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

1.0 chickens were notorious for getting stuck in windows and seeping through fences.

I once found a chicken in a cave that had fallen through the ground beneath a fenced off area.

1.0 was funny like that
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on May 22, 2012, 09:22:42 AM
1.0 chickens were notorious for getting stuck in windows and seeping through fences.

I once found a chicken in a cave that had fallen through the ground beneath a fenced off area.

1.0 was funny like that
Cows were particularly bad as well. Sheep not so much. Pigs were close, but Cows always got out. pissed me off.

Lazybones

Apparently almost all of the animals have been fixed accept wolves / dogs... There is a youtube series where they review texture packs and have build a super demo world that contains a sample of everything... The use glass to trap the mobs, however angry wolves always seem to escape.

Thorin

They need to apply that same rigour to minecarts!

Still, I've wanted a ranch / barn for quite a while.

And what say you all, should I remove that hideous glass covering over the front paddock?  As long as creepers can't climb on the roof and drop into the paddock, it should be relatively safe, right?  Sure, spiders can get over but I'm not worried about them.  I suppose I should double-fence to keep the creepers far enough away that they don't explore.  Or (yuck) moat the outside of the paddock...
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Sheep: Nature's lawnmower!
By Grabthar's Hammer