Re: World Map / Lego / twitter / internet etc... split

Started by Darren Dirt, March 21, 2012, 12:31:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on March 21, 2012, 12:22:40 PM
...1 x 1 metre Lego is all I'm saying...

*casually walks away from thread whistling*

speaking of...

http://laughingsquid.com/lego-tv-show-characters/

and speaking of OCD*
http://laughingsquid.com/psa-for-obsessive-compulsive-disorder-makes-viewer-perform-repeated-behavior/

*#reasonnumberoneimstayingaway #seriously

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Darren Dirt on March 21, 2012, 12:31:00 PM

speaking of...

and speaking of OCD*
http://laughingsquid.com/psa-for-obsessive-compulsive-disorder-makes-viewer-perform-repeated-behavior/

Those were some great links, the Lego tv characters was pretty good (though Ducktales? Must still be on German tv heh).

As an aside regarding OCD are you being treated for it? I can't recall. Like anything creative/sandboxy Minecraft certainly can bring out the err "perfectionist" in a person, but also their creativity. I think it's really easy to burn out on the game too but being given such a flexible world to mould it's hard not to become intoxicated with it at first blush.

For some reason though I find Single Player less fun than SMP, I'm not sure why... I certainly get the heebie jeebies on single player more often than on survival multiplayer but there's something else. I think it's just seeing what other people build up given the same tools and resources I find interesting.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Quote from: Darren Dirt on March 21, 2012, 12:31:00 PM

speaking of...

and speaking of OCD*

The simple LEGO representations of cartoon characters are amazing both in their simplicity and in their recognizable-ness (or whatever that word would be).

Have you started twitting, Darren?  Just trying to understand why hashtags have been invading your posts lately.  You know there's like, a two billion character limit in these posts, right? :)
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Ishmael!

Although...  Why?

How big's the world now on Tom's server?  (I've heard they load in chunks and are theoretically infinite in size now?)
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on March 21, 2012, 01:04:17 PM
Ishmael!

Although...  Why?

How big's the world now on Tom's server?  (I've heard they load in chunks and are theoretically infinite in size now?)

I'm sure I could write "Moby Dick" in a forum post :P

The world is infinitely large, however there seem to be issues when more than a couple people are on in different chunks. It's kind of weird sometimes when you approach an area that doesn't exist yet, it sort of pops in as you approach it, kinda weird
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Thorin on March 21, 2012, 12:55:33 PM
The simple LEGO representations of cartoon characters are amazing both in their simplicity and in their recognizable-ness (or whatever that word would be).

Have you started twitting, Darren?  Just trying to understand why hashtags have been invading your posts lately.  You know there's like, a two billion character limit in these posts, right? :)

Agreed, that's the thing I liked about the LEGO photos -- I instantly recognized them, even with just colours and overall size/shape, no details or even facial features required.

re. Twitter: nope, who wants to hear my rants and ramblings about my youtube viewing or eating habits or whatnot? The #hashtag is just my way of adding an extra summary/commentary on what I've posted/linked, or perhaps to give a clarification of emotion/intention (perhaps it's in a response to years of being misunderstood?) imo not really any different than saying :headasplode: or /mindbottling , I am just follow*ing the trends of the kool kids nowadays. Trying, anyway. #misunderstoodanyway'd

*ha, ha. get it?

Mr. Analog

He's turning RW into tumblr LOL
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

lol, #tumblr'd.

(yes, I've been watching a certain web series lately...)

Quote from: Mr. Analog on March 21, 2012, 12:50:46 PM
As an aside regarding OCD are you being treated for it? I can't recall. Like anything creative/sandboxy Minecraft certainly can bring out the err "perfectionist" in a person, but also their creativity. I think it's really easy to burn out on the game too but being given such a flexible world to mould it's hard not to become intoxicated with it at first blush.

not really a clinical condition, I don't do the "Monk" thing as I walk by light posts every time or anything, just the difficulty in finding balance/temperance in certain activities, along with the occasional hand/finger touching that I find is slightly comforting (back of my fingernails along the vertical cracks in walls or windows as I pass them, for example, or pulling out eyelashes or eyebrows) but nothing that prevents me from living a normal life. Just gotta learn to stay away from timesinks, unless I have a built-in time limitation (lost count of how many times I was ready to go to work "early", then watched a couple of Youtube clips or skim-read a Wikipedia page, next thing I know I'm now a minute or two "late" :( )

Mr. Analog

Well I just hope that you consider treatment, I know what it's like to fear doing things because they might be a trigger... that in itself creates its own set of anxieties.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

So do we need a defined off topic punishment for this forum?

Mr. Analog

May all your chests be filled with cobblestone?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on March 21, 2012, 02:03:53 PM

I am thinking more along the line of forum level punishment, like an embarrassing title... no wait we did that once. or twice.... hmmm have to see if there is a mod to turn offending posters posts pink or something. ;)

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on March 21, 2012, 02:05:28 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on March 21, 2012, 02:03:53 PM

I am thinking more along the line of forum level punishment, like an embarrassing title... no wait we did that once. or twice.... hmmm have to see if there is a mod to turn offending posters posts pink or something. ;)

Hmm, that sounds like an incentive to me!
By Grabthar's Hammer