"Hi, I'm Notch, and this is my new space game"

Started by Darren Dirt, April 05, 2012, 02:59:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

http://0x10c.com

So I guess it's his "Firefly meets Elite" rumoured game, alreadt officially going forward now.

With duct tape.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/122/1222247p1.html
Minecraft creator Markus 'Notch' Persson has revealed his new game. Called 0x10c, the space title is still early in the development process, but includes an intriguing set of features.

Here's how the game is explained on the official site: "Each ship has a generator capable of producing a fixed wattage, and everything you connect to it drains wattage. A cloaking field, for example, might require almost all the power from the generator, forcing you to turn off all computers and dim all lights in order to successfully cloak."

Other features include 'lots of engineering,' a 'fully working computer system,' space combat between computer-controlled and human opponents, lots of looting, mining and trading and connected single-player and multiplayer experiences.

It will also apparently feature duct tape, so there's that. Expect more soon, and in the meantime you can try to find a catchy way to pronounce the title.

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

I love it when game developers have "Advanced Economy System" as a bullet point for a multiplayer game...

Well best of luck to 'em Minecraft was a huge success lets hope he can breathe some life into the ashes of space adventure/combat!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mags

Small article i read on in a few days ago:

http://www.gamesradar.com/notch-reveals-mass-effect-april-fool-really-new-game/

like the idea, but not a fan of "The finished game will likely run on a subscription system, says Notch, necessary to power the game's substantial persistent backend"
"Bleed all over them, let them know you're there!"

Tom

I wonder if he's ditched it last new game already?
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Lazybones

Quote from: Tom on April 05, 2012, 12:28:01 PM

You seem very bitter toward Notch for someone with so many incomplete projects of his own.

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on April 05, 2012, 12:46:20 PM
Quote from: Tom on April 05, 2012, 12:28:01 PM

You seem very bitter toward Notch for someone with so many incomplete projects of his own.
Eh. I was more genuinely wondering what was going on with it, since they spent so much time with lawyers about it.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Heh. Sounds like he cant handle being popular. If he put other people on the game, I bet it'd be cool.

Mr. Analog

Yepp, I think he may have jumped the gun with the promotion as early on as he did.

Early promotion on something still so deep in idea phase is almost always a bad idea.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Looking back he lacks the rockstar coding skills of someone like John Carmack or Tim Sweeney.

Notch made something cool that people really liked.. Now he has lots of attention on him... It was a bad move to announce a new project.

If anything he should have begun developing under an alias, however even then I assume someone would figure out it was him quickly.

Mr. Analog

Well, I'd like to think he learnt something, at one point he was live streaming himself coding...

He probably wants to get back to dabbling but people are just going to expect the "Next" Minecraft. It might be in his best interest to just disappear from the light for a while and make a bunch of games.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Well and something as involved as having a computer in your computer game...  That's not exactly a simple Angry Birds game, that's pretty involved.

I'm surprised he's not more upset about people copying his code, though.  I wonder if they did more as a mod pack, or if they copied it and tried to sell it themselves?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

He released the game to the community, which is very cool actually, those that want to take the concepts and run have the freedom to do so.

On the plus side more games for everyone :)
By Grabthar's Hammer