Main Menu

Piston Doors

Started by Lazybones, April 22, 2012, 07:29:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-rOjbY99mE

Making a compact one is hard, also if you want one that retracts out of a wall instead of just a simple blocking of a hall way there are some relay tricks you have to perform.

Tom

The one I made a while back used like 8 or more pistons. Four stacked in a 2x2 grid on each side, and two stacked (2x1) facing the opening attached to the back set of pistons. Infront of that was some stone blocks. When working properly (it took a lot of tweaking of the redstone and repeaters) the door retracted completely into the wall, and only two pistons on each side were visible when the door was open. When closed, you couldn't see the door on the outside at all. On the inside, before I wrapped it in stone, you could see maybe 4 of the pistons? After wrapping it, you could only see two on each side behind the closed wall.

It looks to be very similar layout of pistons to that video, except the redstone was significantly different. But I think this design is a bit more compact and looks to be less fiddly redstone timing wise.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Lazybones

I have seen the super 2x2 ones, again I liked this one because it was compact. and redstone wise only needs I think two repeaters making it fairly fool proof...

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on April 22, 2012, 08:14:33 PM
I have seen the super 2x2 ones, again I liked this one because it was compact. and redstone wise only needs I think two repeaters making it fairly fool proof...
Yeah like I said, the redstone looks a lot less fiddly with this solution. The one I built had four repeaters on each side, each of which you set a bit differently to delay the signal as needed. Like I said, quite a bit more complex and fiddly. I'll probably use this one in my next 2x1 or 2x2 flush door.

I also want to put in one thats on a diagonal. so like part of a large circle or arc will open up with a plate maybe.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

I built a rather simple 2x2 stealth design after dinner. I have a little more tweaking but I should be able to install it soon.

FOR WHAT? NOBODY KNOWS :D
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Be careful when covering one of these up, I apparently left a 1x2 gap behind mine and had a flood of zombies appear when another user logged in.

Thorin

Wow, six sticky pistons for one door.  Or just have a sticky piston above the doorway to pull a block up, and another sticky piston below the door to pull a block down.  Have the area it's in only be two blocks high, and the pistons can hide in the ceiling and floor.  Or you could put this door in the corner of a room, then you only need two sticky pistons as well (just draw the blocks into the wall in the corner).

The real question is why hide the door if you make the switch easily accessible and visible?  Better to put a time-delay switch in some other room that opens the door 30 ticks from when you switch it, and then close the door as soon as you've gone through.  Then you truly have a secret door that only you know how to open.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on April 22, 2012, 11:37:10 PM
Wow, six sticky pistons for one door.  Or just have a sticky piston above the doorway to pull a block up, and another sticky piston below the door to pull a block down.  Have the area it's in only be two blocks high, and the pistons can hide in the ceiling and floor.  Or you could put this door in the corner of a room, then you only need two sticky pistons as well (just draw the blocks into the wall in the corner).

The real question is why hide the door if you make the switch easily accessible and visible?  Better to put a time-delay switch in some other room that opens the door 30 ticks from when you switch it, and then close the door as soon as you've gone through.  Then you truly have a secret door that only you know how to open.

The above and below is a good option if you have the right situation for it. However it would have poked strait out of the roof of my building and also have been visible from the floor below since the pistons are in the same vertical line of blocks as the wall it self.

the 1x2 uses two sets of pistons so it pulls out and back from the wall... So it is better for some situations..

Pistons are not that costly to build even sticky ones now that I seem to have attracted a bunch in my mine.