Monster spawning in SMP

Started by Lazybones, April 23, 2012, 09:54:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

Some interesting things to note:

- More mobs spawn on the server when there are more players, they also spawn the moment someone joins
- mobs are divided among all possible places they can spawn, IE they can only spawn in a chunk with a player and then also only if there is a valid spawning location.
- If you are in a valid spawn location and everyone else is in well lit safe areas, possibly mining and no where near any valid spawn chunks you will get ALL of the mobs

Just thought I would point this out, also as a safety note watch your lighting when editing structures, last night I removed some torches while making some changes and another player logged in, I suddenly had 6 or more zombies all around me.

Mr. Analog

That would explain the island of terror (and the peninsula of peril): http://mc.tomasu.org/#/-34/64/-324/-1/0/0

At night the place was literally crawling with baddies, I've never seen so many mobs spawn in game EVER. At one point there were 6 creepers, 3 endermen 4 spiders and one or two skeletal archers.

The main issue is there isn't a lot of space in that chunk for baddies to spawn (small island) made smaller by me adding slabs to nearly everything I built there (after one creeper accident on the bridge).

On the plus side the tower connecting to the NW bridge is a great place to snipe from, when the sun comes up just go out and grab your XP (I went from lvl 2 to lvl 14 in just a couple nights, I am nearly out of arrows though hah).
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Ya, you only need something like two unlit blocks for ALL the mobs to spawn in that space.. It can be sudden, and in the case of creepers devastating, if inside a building.

On the flip side if someone is AFK in a monster grinder, fewer than normal mobs may spawn for everyone else.

Thorin

Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 23, 2012, 10:04:23 AM
That would explain the island of terror (and the peninsula of peril): http://mc.tomasu.org/#/-34/64/-324/-1/0/0

At night the place was literally crawling with baddies, I've never seen so many mobs spawn in game EVER. At one point there were 6 creepers, 3 endermen 4 spiders and one or two skeletal archers.

The main issue is there isn't a lot of space in that chunk for baddies to spawn (small island) made smaller by me adding slabs to nearly everything I built there (after one creeper accident on the bridge).

On the plus side the tower connecting to the NW bridge is a great place to snipe from, when the sun comes up just go out and grab your XP (I went from lvl 2 to lvl 14 in just a couple nights, I am nearly out of arrows though hah).

Nice bridge you got going there :)

Yeah, Lazy, more players equals deadlier nights.  Or quicker level gain, however you look at it.

Famous Last Words, number 131: "Yeah, I know it's dangerous, but think of the experience points."
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on April 23, 2012, 12:46:21 PM
Famous Last Words, number 131: "Yeah, I know it's dangerous, but think of the experience points."

Hehe :D

Yeah thanks!

The big island it connects to is quite nice actually, very peaceful
By Grabthar's Hammer