Experimental Tekkit Server

Started by Tom, May 11, 2012, 09:32:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

That's a whole new language you guys are talking in.  LV, MV, MFSU, batbox, EU, BC, IC2, etc.

Sounds like fun!  But oh so time-consuming.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

Not many more so than standard minecraft.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on July 03, 2012, 03:56:33 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on July 03, 2012, 03:40:32 PM
That's cool!

Yeah, they are expensive no doubt, but so far they seem to be pretty good power sources (better than wind or waterwheel at least!)

At least in the daytime :)
I really do like the solar panels. I'm about to go setup a refinery though. after I get a big fullsized quarry going.

I'm curious as to how exactly you powered your full size quarry?

Geothermal! I was quite happy with how it worked out, I didn't have a large pool of lava either.

I built a mining well in my factory, drilled down to the lowest levels of my existing mine (where I had constantly been annoyed by lava), then I converted my mining well into a pump. I made several tanks and started collecting lava. Then I built over a hundred waterproof pipes and fed them back up the hole left by the mining well. I hooked them up to the geothermal generator I had built and then made an MFE and hooked them up. Then I had to make gold cable to an energy link, then I made some conductive pipes and connected them to my Quarry.

One small pool of lava dug all the way to bedrock, my only mistake was not enough storage chests, also I don't have sorting set up yet.

I may have to redesign my factory, but I'm scared of moving machines after my accident with the compressor...

Quote from: Thorin on July 03, 2012, 04:01:57 PM
That's a whole new language you guys are talking in.  LV, MV, MFSU, batbox, EU, BC, IC2, etc.

Sounds like fun!  But oh so time-consuming.

It sounds complicated and it is a bit confusing but it all makes sense... eventually :)

I think I mentioned the confusion packing more than one mod has as there are different kinds of power, tools, machines that belong to different mods, they are compatible but not without some jiggering (my example above of converting geothermal to EU to BC power...)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on July 03, 2012, 04:08:51 PM
That's cool!

Yeah, they are expensive no doubt, but so far they seem to be pretty good power sources (better than wind or waterwheel at least!)

I really do like the solar panels. I'm about to go setup a refinery though. after I get a big fullsized quarry going.

Geothermal! I was quite happy with how it worked out, I didn't have a large pool of lava either.

I built a mining well in my factory, drilled down to the lowest levels of my existing mine (where I had constantly been annoyed by lava), then I converted my mining well into a pump. I made several tanks and started collecting lava. Then I built over a hundred waterproof pipes and fed them back up the hole left by the mining well. I hooked them up to the geothermal generator I had built and then made an MFE and hooked them up. Then I had to make gold cable to an energy link, then I made some conductive pipes and connected them to my Quarry.

One small pool of lava dug all the way to bedrock, my only mistake was not enough storage chests, also I don't have sorting set up yet.
Is that a single geothermal generator? I didn't think they had enough juice to power a quarry over an energy link. My energy link when hooked up wants to eat 74EU/t. Which is /a lot/. I'd need to at the very least /double/ my solar input, if not quadruple it.

Can you make yourself an EU detector and tell me how much power your energy link is drainining? Maybe my issues are due to the power teleport pipes I've been using.

I may have to redesign my factory, but I'm scared of moving machines after my accident with the compressor...
batpack + electric wrench in lossless mode. The electric wrench is /nearly/ lossless as it is, but occasionally it'll break something, usually quite expensive. So batpack + lossless mode it was!

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on July 03, 2012, 04:20:27 PM
That's cool!

Is that a single geothermal generator? I didn't think they had enough juice to power a quarry over an energy link. My energy link when hooked up wants to eat 74EU/t. Which is /a lot/. I'd need to at the very least /double/ my solar input, if not quadruple it.

Can you make yourself an EU detector and tell me how much power your energy link is drainining? Maybe my issues are due to the power teleport pipes I've been using.

batpack + electric wrench in lossless mode. The electric wrench is /nearly/ lossless as it is, but occasionally it'll break something, usually quite expensive. So batpack + lossless mode it was!

Do you mean an EC Meter? Sure I probably need it anyway to sort out how badly those tin wires are transferring power from my solar panels :)

Yes! You mentioned the electric wrench the other day, now I know how annoying losing an expensive machine can be.

According to the Wiki a Geothermal Generator stores up to 480,000 EU and outputs 20,000 EU per Lava Bucket/Cell at a rate of 20EU/t. Not sure what the optimal consumption is for a Quarry...

Reading the wiki suggests I use a conductive teleporter pipe to my Quarry which, thinking about it, is a really good idea. That way I can keep the Geothermal Generator and the lava pumps together and transmit the power directly to the quarry on the surface rather than pumping it all the way up 72 blocks!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on July 03, 2012, 04:44:11 PM
Quote from: Tom on July 03, 2012, 04:20:27 PM
That's cool!

Do you mean an EC Meter? Sure I probably need it anyway to sort out how badly those tin wires are transferring power from my solar panels :)

Yes! You mentioned the electric wrench the other day, now I know how annoying losing an expensive machine can be.

According to the Wiki a Geothermal Generator stores up to 480,000 EU and outputs 20,000 EU per Lava Bucket/Cell at a rate of 20EU/t. Not sure what the optimal consumption is for a Quarry...

Reading the wiki suggests I use a conductive teleporter pipe to my Quarry which, thinking about it, is a really good idea. That way I can keep the Geothermal Generator and the lava pumps together and transmit the power directly to the quarry on the surface rather than pumping it all the way up 72 blocks!
I meant EU Meter, yeah. I'm working on a refinery atm. we'll see how that goes.

Tom

If you haven't played with teleport pipes yet, I have a word of warning. They'be been crashing my client all night. And now its crashing as I join. Fun times. Might even waste an entire run of a full size quarry. awesome.

* Tom angry.

Well at least I just realized that today is July 4th. Yay for holidays.

LennyLen

Quote from: Tom on July 04, 2012, 03:40:44 AM

Ok, so I know Canadians are basically just Americans that say "eh" a lot, but you're celebrating their holidays now? :P

Tom

Quote from: LennyLen on July 04, 2012, 05:06:39 AM
Quote from: Tom on July 04, 2012, 03:40:44 AM

Ok, so I know Canadians are basically just Americans that say "eh" a lot, but you're celebrating their holidays now? :P
When you work for an Ameican company, and have no tasks assigned, you really have no choice.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Yeah, I took it down not expecting anyone to get on it any time soon. Didn't want my massive setup to go to complete waste while I was sleeping ;) As it is it'll run itself dry and all of the blocks the 64x64 sized quarry will dig up will get dropped on the ground.

Put it back up for now.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on July 04, 2012, 07:15:23 AM
Yeah, I took it down not expecting anyone to get on it any time soon. Didn't want my massive setup to go to complete waste while I was sleeping ;) As it is it'll run itself dry and all of the blocks the 64x64 sized quarry will dig up will get dropped on the ground.

Put it back up for now.

You should get into sorting pipes, I have more than 50 of the bloody things

They are a tad glitchy though.

I just wanted to check the progress of my dig, I'm pretty sure I need more lava
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on July 04, 2012, 08:17:27 AM
Quote from: Tom on July 04, 2012, 07:15:23 AM

Put it back up for now.

You should get into sorting pipes, I have more than 50 of the bloody things

They are a tad glitchy though.

I just wanted to check the progress of my dig, I'm pretty sure I need more lava
I have sorting back at my base. Only need one diamond pipe at the moment. sorts three categories:

Rare, Ore, and Other.

And the quarry /should/ be pumping into the sorting system, but the teleport pipe has the wrong frequency set, since I just installed the pipe, and the client crashed before I had a chance to set the proper one. And now I can't join properly to set it.

If you could pop in briefly to test to see if you can still log in, I'd appreciate it. Or if you had more time, possibly find my quarry, break the teleport pipe, and then flip the switch back at my refinery ;D that would be super awesome. If not I'll have to find some time to get mcedit working and hand edit the map.

Mr. Analog

Ah, I thought you had popped back on after you had your issues yesterday.

What I'm worried about is going into that chunk and having the same issues you were. It sounds like a chunk unloading problem that causes a mess for any client that comes in contact with it.

Very buggy.

One thing you could try is change your respawn location, not sure how you would do this though...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

The chunks shouldn't get unloaded since they have teleport tethers. Of course that assumes that's bug free ;D