Shaw vs. Telus: internet price [non-]war (May2012)

Started by Darren Dirt, May 26, 2012, 07:28:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

I hear ya Darren, the list of new and innovative things never stops.

I'm thinking of getting them to bridge my router and turn off the wifi so I can run my own wifi router, but only because then I'll have a better UI with more useful options.  Neither Telus nor Shaw equipment had any real advanced controls - nothing like a dedicated home router.

Oh, and Lazy's right, page loading times are most likely not visibly different between 10Mbit and 50Mbit service.  It's the continuous-downloading of P2P or internet TV services that will slow you down.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Lazybones on May 28, 2012, 03:25:31 PM
From your other quote
QuoteSo if I am ok with painfully slow page loading and/or virtually NEVER having the kids use WiFi while I am playing city of heroes or watching Youtube myself

If you are seeing slow down run some speedtest.net tests and see if you are getting reasonable speeds. P2P and MASSIVE file downloads are about the only thing that should cause any kind of noticeable disruption... The difference in regular page load times between a 1Mbit service and a 50Mbit service arn't huge unless the site is ultra heaving on images and flash content.

It's been fine, no slow downs with the package I have right now. I just don't want to take the risk of "unknown to me right now" issues with hardware etc. if I decide to switch back and forth between companies. Saving a few bucks isn't worth the possible headaches, I guess I've decided. Chicken == me.

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Melbosa

Quote from: Thorin on May 28, 2012, 03:31:25 PM
I'm thinking of getting them to bridge my router and turn off the wifi so I can run my own wifi router, but only because then I'll have a better UI with more useful options.  Neither Telus nor Shaw equipment had any real advanced controls - nothing like a dedicated home router.

Too bad Telus requires you to use their Router if you are using their TV service.  I can't run in Bridge Mode because I do have their TV as well.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Thorin

I'm pretty sure I turned off the wireless on my Telus router and had a d-link behind it, back when I had Telus Optik.  Not bridged (still a router, but at least not a wifi router), but at least able to use my own router.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Melbosa

Yes the wireless can be done that way in any environment with any provider.  The problem would be if you were trying to use your own DNS or DHCP scope with your router, which is what is required by Optik TV.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!