Amazed at how cheap network gear is getting.

Started by Lazybones, August 11, 2012, 10:51:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

I have been fumbling around with my home network since my primary router only has 4 Gigabit ports and I have a few server like devices on my network...

I was looking at purchasing a 5 port Gigabit switch however the net gain is only 3 ports if you do that since you loose a port on the old and the new for uplink... So I was over at NCIX looking around and on their webpage and realized I could get an 8 port gigabit switch for as little as 24.99 or 29.99.

I picked up the TP-Link since I already have bad memories of relatives picking up Trident equipment.. But hell this is just an un-managed switch so it isn't that difficult to get right.

Anyone else surprised? You can get wireless N dongles for next to nothing is as well now. How time flies...

Thorin

Yeah, it really is getting cheap.  And it used to be that cheap gear sucked, but even the cheap stuff is halfway decent quality these days.

Still, the Shaw and Telus router/modems suck.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

It is surprising actually, I geared up to gigabit 2 years ago and to do the same thing now would cost me at least a third less.
By Grabthar's Hammer