Possible Hockey Lockout

Started by Thorin, August 21, 2012, 05:13:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

Whatever we build let's hope it's a fugly post-modernist eyesore in an amusing shape.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

They've got top guys working on that.  I can't believe they've spent millions just doing drawings of it already.  Has no one heard of Photoshop?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

When they put up a design proposal it's for everything; equipment, infrastructure, aesthetics, the whole works, and it has to fit in such-and-such a space and accommodate all sorts of regulations and safety measures.

I could see that running up fairly quickly.

I just wish they didn't always pick something that on the surface looks so tacky.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Yeah, no, the first couple of artist's renditions of the maxipad-with-wings design did not have any of the internals figured out.  And they charged over a hundred thousand for that rendition.

In other news, city council has now said that the Katz Group has been more forthcoming and this is being interpreted as city council is finally getting to look at the books to see if the Oilers really have been in an operating loss (especially circumspect since they pay nothing for rent and almost nothing in facility charges as compared to other teams).
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

...need ... HOCKEY

on the plus side the Jays had a great game last night, hopefully their last game of the season will be as good :)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Quote from: Mr. Analog on October 03, 2012, 09:03:42 AM
...need ... HOCKEY

If you're in Sherwood Park on Sunday, you can catch some midget triple-A hockey at Sherwood Park Arena (on Oak Street).  You won't know any players, but I can promise you these boys'll be flyin'!  http://www.leaguelineup.com/eventinfo.asp?url=kcpatsaaa&eventid=2864105&startdate=10/7/2012.  And I know the KC Pats coach will sit a player if he's doggin' it, even if he's a star.  That guy demands full speed all the time.  I don't think the Midget AAA (15-17yo) program charges admission yet, I think that starts at the Junior level (18-20yo).

There's other games listed at http://amhl.ab.ca/schedule.php, too.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Sunday morning will be Turkey hangover so no.

Need some form of Hockey Night... in Canada...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

That's Sunday evening, 6:30pm.  No self-respecting AAA coach would agree to play games in the AM.

What you need, is sites like Lowetide and Cult of Hockey to keep you in the loop so you know what all our players are doing and where they're doing it :)
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

82 regular season games cancelled between now and Oct 24th.  We're marching slowly but surely, inexorably to a full-season lockout.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Yep, not much more to say about it really.

It sucks, but I have no sympathy for either side.

Who knew 2012 would be the hockeypocalypse!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Thorin

Quote from: Mr. Analog on October 04, 2012, 03:48:15 PM
Who knew 2012 would be the hockeypocalypse!

Wasn't it the Mayans who predicted it by ending their calendar in 2012?

Meh, there's so many other things we can entertain ourselves with, it doesn't really matter.  If/when hockey starts back up again I'm sure we'll end up talking about it again, but I doubt I'm gonna spend any money on pay-per-view games or anything in the next couple of years.

And that's the real problem, there are fans who are getting turned off by this crap and will stop sending their money into the pockets of millionaires and billionaires.  At least, that's the real problem for owners and players.

Interesting number crunching that shows that locking out is more expensive than either side caving: http://nhlnumbers.com/2012/10/1/why-the-nhl-lockout-wont-cancel-the-2012-2013-season.  Literally, even if the owners accepted the players' offer now, they'd have more money in their pockets than if they lock them out for the season.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

This is actually a critical time for a lot of pro-sports because lets face it, they make a lot of money from broadcasting rights and we all know that TV is facing some serious competition from other media (internet, games, etc).

So what happens to CBC's bottom line this year I wonder?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

C?BC's Hockey Night In Canada will be broadcasting historic games.  So there's NHL-level hockey, it's just not current.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful