Possible Hockey Lockout

Started by Thorin, August 21, 2012, 05:13:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

Katz says team is losing money.

Independent financial magazine puts out yearly listing of NHL teams' revenues, operating incomes, and net worths.

Team had record year in all three even after sucking complete @%&#ing ass for three years and not doing all that much better the three years before.

How can a team be losing money when it's operating income is in the positive?  I say Katz is a greedy liar, not a philanthropist who wanted to save hockey.  Good luck moving the team.

all from http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2012/11/28/forbes-edmonton-oilers-had-team-record-hockey-related-revenues-in-2011-12/, which links to http://www.forbes.com/teams/edmonton-oilers/ and http://www.forbes.com/pictures/mlh45jdd/no-5-edmonton-oilers/.  The best part is that comment on the last link:

"While a dynasty missing the playoffs for six straight seasons would prove disastrous in other small markets, it has had no effect on the Oilers' fans. The team has played to a full capacity crowd since the last lockout. Fans get extra points for greeting the introduction of a female, in-game cheer squad as a hindrance to their game experience."

emphasis mine, as I wholeheartedly agree with this.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Melbosa

I agree as well.

Also, not sure it was posted, but if the NHL locks out the whole season, the Oil have a good chance at a first round draft pick for the 4th year in a row!!!
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Thorin

Quote from: Melbosa on November 28, 2012, 02:33:09 PM
Also, not sure it was posted, but if the NHL locks out the whole season, the Oil have a good chance at a first round draft pick for the 4th year in a row!!!

yeah...

Quote from: Thorin on November 06, 2012, 12:44:06 PM
So the Oil have a great chance at a first overall pick again.  After all, we're tied for last place with 0 points so far this season.

And to be serious for a second, they'll probably mix the picks up rather than keep all the teams in the same order...
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

This has been Toronto's best season in a long time, 0 losses! LOL

Anyway, I'm sure the way Katz is going to frame it based on capacity of other venues, we do have the second oldest rink in the NHL and it was small even at the time of construction (when the Oil weren't IN the NHL).

All that aside we have a suck ass team still pulling in the crowds in a really bad economy.

To paraphrase Arnie: "Quite your whining"
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Quote from: Thorin on November 28, 2012, 02:36:40 PM
Quote from: Melbosa on November 28, 2012, 02:33:09 PM

yeah...

Quote from: Thorin on November 06, 2012, 12:44:06 PM
So the Oil have a great chance at a first overall pick again.  After all, we're tied for last place with 0 points so far this season.

And to be serious for a second, they'll probably mix the picks up rather than keep all the teams in the same order...

Well you kinda said it jokingly, I am being a bit more serious, as I think after the last lockout they still kept the odds in the draw didn't they? Isn't that how Pittsburgh ended up with Crosby?

Mr. Analog

At this point who knows, it would be nice...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Oh Wikipedia, you know everything!  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_NHL_Entry_Draft

Teams that were not in playoffs nor had a first overall pick in the previous three seasons had a higher chance of getting picked first overall.  So if they follow this again, we'd have a pretty low chance of getting first overall simply because we've had first overall for the last three years.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

aaaaand the lockout is over (if you hadn't heard). Why do I feel like nobody won?

The players, the owners and the league lost out big time this year and the fans are stuck with a laughably short season.

Well, at least we have a slightly better chance of playoffs I guess??
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

If there was ever a year I was less excited about hockey, I can't remember it.

Gets a big ol "meh" from me.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Thorin

I'm not sure that they have a better chance at playoffs - they have a lesser chance of losing players to injury during the regular season, but they're already down a couple due to injuries suffered during the lockout.

Ryan Jones took a puck to the face, hard, at some practice with a team in another league, or something.  Ryan Whitney we're still not sure if he can skate on his ankle.  Khabibulin probably still has back problems.  Andy Sutton is on the injured reserve list already.

I'll probably end up watching Oil games when I have time this winter, but I doubt they'll get near the playoffs.  It all depends on whether Ralph Krueger can figure out how to get Hall and Eberle and Nugent-Hopkins to get around Chara and the like.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Fewer games means each game has more importance, many players hot off of AHL / IHF stuff.

At the very least there will be intensity.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on January 08, 2013, 04:50:01 PM
Fewer games means each game has more importance, many players hot off of AHL / IHF stuff.

At the very least there will be intensity.
I dunno. I expect them to play like the season is already shot.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Melbosa

I think Thorin is more likely correct.  Injuries are now going to be huge for any team as missing 3-5 weeks due to one could really hurt your chances for play-offs.

Mr. Analog

I expect some high injury counts this season
By Grabthar's Hammer