XCOM: Enemy Unknown 2012

Started by Melbosa, September 06, 2012, 07:23:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

Ugh, that sucks, nothing worse than patch hell, that's for sure.

But other than that fairly addicting is it? :D
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Quote from: Mags on October 12, 2012, 02:29:48 AM
Quote from: Mags on October 11, 2012, 10:43:57 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on October 11, 2012, 04:56:49 PM
I am so very tempted to get this, however it appears to be a GIGANTIC time sink... so I may avoid

Not a time sink at the moment. After a 1.8 gig patch, my game is unplayable.. grrrr

Was loving the game before that though.

Back up and running. Seems (for some) the game went into a mode of about 5 fps and choppy sound, until you rebooted your machine. Seems odd, but there you have it.

"Hello, IT.  Have you tried turning it off and on again?" http://youtu.be/rksCTVFtjM4 or even better: http://youtu.be/PtXtIivRRKQ

So Mags, since Mr. A mentions this being a timesink, have you found it taking up a large amount of your time lately?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mags

Indeed. Definitely has the just one-more-turn aspect to it. Firaxis, stayed pretty true to the original, while making the look and feel modern.

Not perfect for sure. Your men seem to miss a lot of 85+% shots.
The tutorial and manual are lacking. 
*grumble* *grumble* *grumble* Patch!

But nothing game-breaking.

Definite B+ so far.
"Bleed all over them, let them know you're there!"

Melbosa

I have to agree with Mags on the soldier missing part but it gets better with equipment.

The manual, like some digital download games, is accessible from the steam right click menu on the game library, but it is limited.  The in game encyclopedia research stuff is pretty good, but does leave some things questionable.

There isn't a traditional tutorial, but the "story" sets High Priority items to forward your research items and helps you with the basic stuff.  This story mode can be toggled off if you just want to play.

More to come from me..
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Darren Dirt

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Melbosa

So I finished the Single Player last night.  30+ hours to get it completed, only lost 6 soldiers the whole time playing, and I didn't do everything in the game yet.

Overall impressions: Very Highly Recommended!

Pros:

• True to the original - Very much the first turn based tactical squad shooter to the core
  • Graphics are well updated
  • Environments very distructive
  • Base building and researching simple and yet adds strategy to choices
  • RPG elements simple again, but still had me going "What should I pick now on this level up?"
  • Alien units are definitely well upgraded and additional units over the original are fresh and diverse

Cons:

• No Co-op mode - why there isn't this in almost every game possible, I'll never know
  • Only one base?!?!? - I'm not sure if it was the second XCOM that brought in the second base but I didn't see how to build a second one in this game
  • Aliens do not attack your base - this was an interesting part of the original, building your base with choke points so that if you got attacked you could defend - didn't see how to do this in this new game
  • Camera angle when using a rocket launcher or moving between upstairs or downstairs - sometimes hard to get the game to put you where you wanted with the mouse.  Frustrating at times but not a show stopper

While it has some Cons, the game itself will own my game space for times to come yet.  It brought back so much of the original that made the game fun and worth all the money!  People in the office here whom have never played the original still have as much time into the game as I have and like it just as much.

NOTE: The demo does not do this game justice.  Get a borrowed copy if you really want to see what it is like, then purchase for yourself!

Mr. Analog

The main sticking point for me I guess is price point, maybe I'm getting too used to $30 PC games haha
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Mr. Analog

I don't doooooooo that anymore.

There are too many FREE games I want to play let alone for-pay ones :P
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Welp, I'm gonna buy this I think, put on my snuggly hoody and just play it for 2 or 3 days straight.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Don't forget the Red Bull.  Or Bawls.  Or something.  Three days straight is a long time to stay awake.  Or were you gonna wuss out and sleep for a few hours every night? :)
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on October 26, 2012, 02:12:27 PM
Don't forget the Red Bull.  Or Bawls.  Or something.  Three days straight is a long time to stay awake.  Or were you gonna wuss out and sleep for a few hours every night? :)

I've been very sick lately, so I've been up and down sporadically for days (check some of the times I've been posting)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

I was just buggin' ya, that's why the smiely.  That sucks that you've been sick.  Maybe it was that day in the office, maybe some of my kid-germs got on you and partied when they realized fresh meat!
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on October 26, 2012, 02:36:59 PM
I was just buggin' ya, that's why the smiely.  That sucks that you've been sick.  Maybe it was that day in the office, maybe some of my kid-germs got on you and partied when they realized fresh meat!

My mom, dad and both my sisters are ill with this crap, I'm surprised I held out this long.

I'm actually surprised no one has said anything about me posting at 2/3/4 AM

SO if there is a zombie outbreak and I'm in your group I'll turn but a lot later than you think!

BRAINS!!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Remember, CARDIO

My problem is I coach (and thus practice) sprint-based sports.  Go fast, then rest.  That'll never work.  Also, episode 1 (or was it 2?) of season 1 of Walking Dead had a zombie in a tank HOW THE HELL DOES SOMEONE GET BITTEN IN A TANK?!
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful