XCOM: Enemy Unknown 2012

Started by Melbosa, September 06, 2012, 07:23:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

Well, in The Walking Dead, everyone is infected so all that had to happen is someone dying (they all come back), maybe he died from boredom in that tank (as I saw very little tetris in there).

Actually one thing that really bugs me about zombie apocalypse things is they always show police blockades and military operations as having failed but it makes no damn sense. I mean, at least with Walking Dead two of the main guys for Season 1&2 were cops but seriously they're the only ones who had firepower and the willingness to use it? What about all the people with actual training and stuff??

If there were massive hordes and they were overrun fine, makes sense, but where do these mass hordes disappear to when the small plucky band of social misfits finally wander through Fort Awesome? Zombie tea party somewhere else?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

C'mon, it's Atlanta, Georgia!  There are more guns than cockroaches down there!  You know there's something like 4 billion small-arms bullets in the US alone?  The US government publicly admits to having about 1.5 billion bullets stockpiled, and private citizens have more than the government.

However, the show has indicated the herds are migrating somewhere, so maybe they are going to a Zombie Tea Party:

source: http://iheardin.com/2011/10/28/the-best-zombie-art/#.UIr5JMXA-6N
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Haha, leave it to the internet, if there's an idea there's a picture of it somewhere hahahah
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Well I'm on my second round in XCOM.  I highly recommend starting on Normal or easier.  Classical will kick your butt, HARD!
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Melbosa on October 26, 2012, 03:26:25 PM
Well I'm on my second round in XCOM.  I highly recommend starting on Normal or easier.  Classical will kick your butt, HARD!

I heard that actually Classic mode was also Man Mode (i.e. the mode you play... if you're a man) lol (curse you TotalBiscuit) hahaha

The more I look at it though the more I want to play it and I do love single player games :)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Normal will challenge you for sure.  Classic is a Save Often, reload many if you want to save your guys from death!

Mr. Analog

No way! Iron Man the whole way through!!

XCOM is a game I expect to restart many times, it's just what it is :)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Well you can decide, but I know Classic is even frustrating to me.  But I played through once on Normal - took me 30 hours to do it on Normal.  Going to be way higher on Classic I'm guessing.

Mr. Analog

From what I've seen from various let's plays is that the fun is in the playing not the finishing with this one :)

Kinda like Minecraft :)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Good GOD I was having fun until I got to the glitchy camera BS on multi-level ships

VASTLY ANNOYING

Nothing like losing squad members thanks to the @%&#-ass camera
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Quote from: Mr. Analog on October 27, 2012, 08:22:12 AM
Good GOD I was having fun until I got to the glitchy camera BS on multi-level ships

VASTLY ANNOYING

Nothing like losing squad members thanks to the @%&#-ass camera
Yeah they are saying they will fix that with a patch.  I know what you mean.  Best thing I do for that is use the Q & E keys to swing the camera to an angle that lets me do what I want when you have that issue.  But I agree, that bug is my largest complaint so far too...

Mr. Analog

Yeah, it seems to work, but I also have this thing where it doesn't quite show the level I'm on, not sure if it's a scroll wheel thing or not but it seems to reset so I can't see anything

grrr

but yeah anyway, first time through on normal is fairly easy so far, though once in a while I'll get one mission that just sucks balls (send in the redshirts!)

Good ol' luck o' the draw haha
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Welp, I saved Edmonton from a horrible alien/zombie invasion

HOO-AHH

:D
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Overall a great game, I put in about 10 hours this weekend, there are a few bugs that really need to be sorted out but otherwise a lot of fun.

I wasn't really sure about turn-based tactical stuff as I'm usually not very good at it but I've been really surprised how easy it is so far (at least on Normal)

The only time I've had any difficulty is when fighting with the camera, all it takes is leaving one squad member out in the open by accident to turn the tide of battle :)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

I found around the 20h mark the difficulty really started to show at Normal.  The thing was though I didn't finish the game right away, I kinda pushed it of for a while...