XCOM: Enemy Unknown 2012

Started by Melbosa, September 06, 2012, 07:23:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

I'm kinda wondering how crazy things are going to get heh! I've met all the basic and some of the variant classes already (I haven't fought an Ethereal yet, but I feel that's coming soon).

I built a SHIV yesterday but I couldn't assign it in my squad for some reason, I guess people have been having issues with it anyway. It's a lot less versatile than a full squad with a variety of abilities. If anything I'll throw a rookie in the team so they get experience, kinda team them like VIPs, though sometimes they surprise me.

I really wish the game didn't give my NPCs nicknames 'cause I get attached to 'em
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Yeah I usually try to take one Rook every mission, although that sometimes bites you hard!

I really wish they would attack your base... that was the O-@%&# moment I missed from the original!
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

YARG spoilers!! I was kinda hoping that would happen...

Maybe in future DLC??

Ah well it is what it is :D
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

So turn-based tactical shooter - you actually tell your little army men where to move to and where to shoot, then you click "turn done", then they do it, then you give the next set of orders, and repeat?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on October 29, 2012, 09:51:08 AM
So turn-based tactical shooter - you actually tell your little army men where to move to and where to shoot, then you click "turn done", then they do it, then you give the next set of orders, and repeat?

It's a lot like D&D combat actually.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Quote from: Mr. Analog on October 29, 2012, 10:02:50 AM
Quote from: Thorin on October 29, 2012, 09:51:08 AM

It's a lot like D&D combat actually.

Kinda... little more like board games, cause you move your guys and do stuff, then they move their guys and do stuff, and then repeat.  But they can interrupt on your turn, so that is where the D&D likeness adds in.  So rather than plan it all out and hit the GO! button for your turn, you play out your turn with Movement and Action for each soldier, and only if the enemy was ready for you do they act before you do - but it is a predetermined reaction they preform (always a shot first action).  The individual soldiers do their action individually, then when you have nothing left to do for each one, the turn ends and the enemy beings.

Thorin

Damn, sounds like I'd really enjoy that game!
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on October 29, 2012, 10:48:18 AM
Damn, sounds like I'd really enjoy that game!

Yes, yes you would. I mean there are so many tactical options that appear when you start combining the basic abilities of your squad, get your Heavy to lay down covering fire, have your Assault flush out an enemy and all the while you have a Sniper ready on high ground... you stack bonuses and abilities and generally learn how to outsmart your enemy through formation, quick thinking, being prepared and a few lucky rolls of the dice.

I've been through some tough scrapes without any damage to my team due to thorough planning and flawless execution even with some bad rolls.

There's no one more surprised than me that I like/excel at this game.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Mr. Analog

Will I have to defend my base? Cause that's the only mission type missing so far!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

They hit at it... but never say for sure...

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

This is funny, and probably something the game dev should have put in the game MP stacks.  But non-the-less it is very well done IMO: https://www.facebook.com/XCOM?sk=app_376588879095954

Melbosa

So seriously who doesn't have this game yet?  And especially after this GamesCon announcement for expansion: http://kotaku.com/xcom-enemy-unknown-gets-its-first-major-expansion-this-1175378649

The game is fantastic.  One of the best remakes ever IMO.  You cannot go wrong with it as it promises everything the original did and so much more.

Anyone want this game but don't have it yet?