My Blaze farm is ready to go - come and try it.

Started by Pants, September 18, 2012, 08:36:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pants

I don't totally have the room complete, but the farm itself works just fine.  I still need to cover a lot of the redstone circuits with stone so they can't be messed with, but I did run a powered rail line from my portal to it.  Everyone is welcome to use it for XP or Blaze Rods.  It's totally safe (though I have noticed buggy Blaze spawning if you log in and out of range of the Blaze farm).

Here's a quick tutorial:

This lever turns on and off the spawner by dumping lava streams and disables it via lighting.  I know that this isn't totally necessary because all you have to do is move out of range of the spawner, but it's there for when I want to work around the spawner without it being active.  Please leave it turned off when you leave.

When it's turned on, layers of pistons push the Blazes down into this 2x2 collection area (note:  if you walk right up to the collection area while Blazes are there - they can possibly hurt you.  Stand a block back)

When enough Blazes have collected (don't idle here too long - Blazes can build up fast and lag the server), push the button labelled "Crusher" once.  This traps the Blazes, pushes them forward, and activates some sticky pistons on a timer to bring them down to near-death.  You only need to push this button once.

Here's the crusher in action.

Now you can walk up to them and one-hit kill them with a melon slice to receive XP and blaze rods.

Pushing the Reset button withdraws all of the pistons and allows more Blazes to fall into the collection area.

Edit: go ahead and have a look at the redstone circuits, but please don't mess with any of it.  Setting them up is tedious.

Melbosa

Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Thorin

Yah, nice job.  You must have tons of blaze rods :)
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Pants

I put some spare Blaze Rods in a chest at my Blaze farm.  Go ahead and pillage it.

Thorin

Quote from: Pants on September 24, 2012, 10:20:11 PM
I put some spare Blaze Rods in a chest at my Blaze farm.  Go ahead and pillage it.

It's kinda funny whenever a farm gets built because suddenly there's a ton of that type of item!  For instance, magical Power I bows and arrows at the skelly farm, iron swords and shovels and helmets at the zombie farm, iron ingots at Unethical Iron Co (is it working again, Lazy?).
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on September 24, 2012, 10:25:37 PM

It's kinda funny whenever a farm gets built because suddenly there's a ton of that type of item!  For instance, magical Power I bows and arrows at the skelly farm, iron swords and shovels and helmets at the zombie farm, iron ingots at Unethical Iron Co (is it working again, Lazy?).

That is sort of the project I am half ass working on... I wanted to increase production but the shear size you have to build the farms makes them a chore in SMP if you want to up the production rate you need multiple farms which means breading and moving more villagers.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on September 24, 2012, 11:01:08 PM
Quote from: Thorin on September 24, 2012, 10:25:37 PM

That is sort of the project I am half ass working on... I wanted to increase production but the shear size you have to build the farms makes them a chore in SMP if you want to up the production rate you need multiple farms which means breading and moving more villagers.

I can help out if ya like, I have lots of supplies and with modly powers I could help make some villagers ('cause herding is such a chore)

But yeah!! Blaze Rods!!!!

I was starting to run out, I wanted to make some Eye of Ender but then wow, expensive!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

I get the repetitive / boredom angle; part of digging that giant room was me wanting to see how much effort it really is.  I did see an interesting youtube video on how to build a good iron golem farm: http://youtu.be/lQnsuaXQq8A
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on September 24, 2012, 11:32:05 PM
I get the repetitive / boredom angle; part of digging that giant room was me wanting to see how much effort it really is.  I did see an interesting youtube video on how to build a good iron golem farm: http://youtu.be/lQnsuaXQq8A

That's impressive!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Ya, now think about the time that would take in SMP without cheating villagers or flying.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on September 24, 2012, 11:52:16 PM
Ya, now think about the time that would take in SMP without cheating villagers or flying.

Sounds like a challenge to me!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

I think I have all the materials required for the build (stone brick, torches, glass, water, wood for doors, lava); the villagers would be the hard part for me because I don't have any villagers anywhere close to me (there's a village, but it's abandoned).

I think we're discussing this in the wrong thread, though :)
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on September 25, 2012, 12:00:24 AM
I think I have all the materials required for the build (stone brick, torches, glass, water, wood for doors, lava); the villagers would be the hard part for me because I don't have any villagers anywhere close to me (there's a village, but it's abandoned).

I think we're discussing this in the wrong thread, though :)

I can spawn villagers, I think that's only fair since the old farm was griefed.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Yup, same as we had with all the cows going missing.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful