Minecraft 1.5 has been Released

Started by Mr. Analog, March 14, 2013, 02:20:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

So 1.5.x has been out for a while and there are CraftBukkit releases available.

What do we gain from CraftBukkit?  I know there's the teleporting which is kinda nice but kinda cheaty-feeling, and the detailed message when people try to connect and aren't on the whitelist.

What do we lose due to using CraftBukkit?  Well, we have to wait when there's new Minecraft versions out, for the CraftBukkit builds to catch up.

Have I missed anything?  If not, we should just switch back to vanilla (which still allows a whitelist, right?).
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

We're just waiting on me at the moment.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

:D

:D :D :D

I'mma workin' on a picture at the moment, a certain Marionette, maybe you could, I dunno, update the ollllllllll Minecraft

;-)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

DYNAMIC MAPPER IS DOWN: http://tomasu.org:8123/.  I can only assume that means Tom is updating the server :)

How's the map cleanup utility coming, by the way?  I wouldn't mind our map getting cleaned up...
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on May 08, 2013, 08:49:56 PM

:D :D :D

I'mma workin' on a picture at the moment, a certain Marionette, maybe you could, I dunno, update the ollllllllll Minecraft

;-)

Quote from: Thorin on May 08, 2013, 10:44:36 PM
How's the map cleanup utility coming, by the way?  I wouldn't mind our map getting cleaned up...
I'm /very very very/ close to having my tool working. keep uncovering bugs ;D fix one, it uncovers another ::) but its very very very close now. I'm going to work on it a bit more tonight.

DYNAMIC MAPPER IS DOWN: http://tomasu.org:8123/.  I can only assume that means Tom is updating the server :)
Sadly no. messing with the hardware a bit. It's back up for now though.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Quote from: Tom on May 08, 2013, 10:49:45 PM
I'm /very very very/ close to having my tool working. keep uncovering bugs ;D fix one, it uncovers another ::) but its very very very close now. I'm going to work on it a bit more tonight.

Just so you know, we're not paying you per bug that you fix:

source: http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/1995-11-13/

Actually, we're not paying you at all.

Anyway, hopefully it'll be ready soon.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

It's running on the map right now, hopefully it loads in mc with no complaints this time. Last run caused mc to complain/throw-exceptions, then lock up. :D

Mr. Analog

So just a question, you are going to let us know when you are going to take a snapshot before pruning the map right?

I'd hate to lose a build now that I've been playing more :)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on May 10, 2013, 08:42:23 AM
So just a question, you are going to let us know when you are going to take a snapshot before pruning the map right?

I'd hate to lose a build now that I've been playing more :)
I've been running tests on the hourly backups.

I'm planning on having a separate copy of the server and overviewer up for it when I get something that looks close to right.

I just ran a successful test (for varying degrees of success). Minecraft and overviewer don't complain at all, but it wasn't pruning enough.

I'm hoping to get something up, that's testable, today. We'll see.

Once we have something we're happy with, I'll take the server down, and run it on the main save, then bring it back up.

Tom

Second, less conservative test run (not counting torches or crafting tables as stuff to keep)

Mr. Analog

That second run looks awesome!

Would it be possible to increase the "keep it" chunk radius by a bit?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Here's the link to the test overviewer.

http://mc.tomasu.org/test/

I can immediately see some damage. I'm likely going to widen the areas around kept chunks to save against that a little. But if someone can come up with something a bit more cleverer, I'm open to suggestions.

One thought is to look for 1x2 or 2x2 pairs of cobble, to pick up on roads.

Quote from: Mr. Analog on May 10, 2013, 09:44:04 AM
That second run looks awesome!

Would it be possible to increase the "keep it" chunk radius by a bit?
Damnit. You beat me to a reply.

Mr. Analog

I can't recall, what's the default number of chunks that load around a player character in SMP? Maybe that should be the radius? I dunno :shrug:

Also the tricky bit using cobblestone is it's naturally generated by lava+water, so you may get some structures like that, very tricky to sort out.
By Grabthar's Hammer