!@#$% Google Chrome

Started by Mr. Analog, September 24, 2013, 03:03:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

It's just annoying.

One of my absolute favourite parts about Google from the beginning was the simplicity of everything.

Just a box to type criteria in and a go button, then a list of results. Amazing!

I can recall what other search engines looked like back in the day, all glooped up with junk and it was like here's a company that "gets it". New features have come along over time, some good (like reverse image search!) some questionable (I still don't see the point to having a bar at the top that links crap I'm logged into like GMail) and some downright horrible.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

In the "top 4" comparison article above, there's a mention of a good subjective test -- just load up HuffPo and see which seems quicker or less sluggish ... since that site is the poster child for the kind of crap-filled crap that is filling up the internet nowadays.

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

I think I'm completely agreeing with this thread's sentiment.

Google STOP @%&#ING BREAKING THINGS. GOD DAMN IT.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

I see someone has been "upgraded" with extreme prejudice.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on September 25, 2013, 05:42:50 PM
I see someone has been "upgraded" with extreme prejudice.
Not at all. I use debian packages, I can upgrade when I want. Everything else is broken though. now, even after completely killing the damn thing, its misbehaving. I can't stand it anymore.

Mr. Analog

Ugh, yep time for a new browser methinks.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Google -- 15 years ago #simplerTimes*

Other discussions/stories about the above "easter egg" here.

*heck, even their DOODLES were simpler -- http://www.google.com/doodles/burning-man-festival
then again, back then there was no Google Underwater View.

Mr. Analog

You'll know it's REALLY over when gratuitous links to unwanted services/advertising appear on the home page

...oh
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

I must be missing something, I don't see where the link is?

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on September 27, 2013, 01:58:47 PM

List of things I don't go to the Google Search Page for:
-Play (store/apps)
-News
-Mail
-Drive
-Calendar
-"More"
-Google+

It's not as cluttered as the old Yahoo homepage used to be but all the same stupidity is there "hey we have all this space, let's put a bunch of links to services we want to push" type management thinking.

If people really wanted a portal type interface they would have been using iGoogle ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IGoogle ) OH WAIT! Some people are (like my mom) but Google is pulling the plug on Nov 1st!

bwah bwuh
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on September 27, 2013, 02:20:29 PM
If people really wanted a portal type interface they would have been using iGoogle ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IGoogle ) OH WAIT! Some people are (like my mom) but Google is pulling the plug on Nov 1st!

bwah bwuh

"iGoogle will not be available after November 1, 2013. Learn more."
meh.

Thorin

Quote from: Mr. Analog on September 27, 2013, 02:20:29 PM
Quote from: Tom on September 27, 2013, 01:58:47 PM

List of things I don't go to the Google Search Page for:
-Play (store/apps)
-News
-Mail
-Drive
-Calendar
-"More"
-Google+

It's not as cluttered as the old Yahoo homepage used to be but all the same stupidity is there "hey we have all this space, let's put a bunch of links to services we want to push" type management thinking.

bwah bwuh

In Chrome, I installed the extension Black Bar Removal.  It's free.  No more black bar.  A pretty easy fix to a problem I didn't even expect to have based on Google's original lightweight search page.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

I know I can be really picky with stuff like this but darn it I love functional minimalism.

*le sigh*
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

If it helps, that black bar is going away.