Started by Mr. Analog, September 24, 2013, 03:03:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

Well, I've had enough abuse, Chrome 33 broke me

Firefox is SO GOOOOOD

It's been a long time and I am impressed
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

I was running chrome unstable for a while. I just couldn't deal with the added instability and the changes to the start/blank page. I use that stuff and now its gone...

I just don't know what google is thinking sometimes. I'm still running 32 at the moment. if 33 is still junk when debian switches to it, then I probably go back to iceweasel. Already using iceweasel for work...
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Let's just say you're lucky to still be on 32

33 is REALLY that bad. I thought it was my computer bogging down, turns out it was actually Chrome 33 being horrific
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Yeah, like i said I was on unstable for a while, which is now 33... 32 is quite a bit more stable and isn't quite so boggy. I had assumed it was because i was running the unstable branch. nope. its just google's penchant for not giving a @%&#.

Mr. Analog

Exactly why I threw up my hands today finally

I've been a user for 6 years and I've had enough, it hit it's peak a few years ago but now it's utterly slow and horrible and doesn't offer anything beneficial
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

- Firefox has focused on memory management to the point that it should always be less then the multi-instance chrome
- Generally more stable release cycles that don't break working stuff very ofen
- Long term support releases available
- STILL has superior plugins.. Firebug and Adblock Plus (fairly sure the Chrome version still does not have feature parity)

ONE word of warning however since you are JUST now thinking of switching to Firefox, the NEXT release will have a big UI change... BE WARNED!

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on February 26, 2014, 10:16:04 PM

33 is REALLY that bad. I thought it was my computer bogging down, turns out it was actually Chrome 33 being horrific

At work here I am apparently on 33 (I installed it myself in my local profile, so I can actually update it on my locked-down machine!) and I don't know of this bogging-down stuff you mention.

Then again, maybe I just write off all slowness and instability on Service Alberta doing its usual terribad job at keeping the IT infrastructure up and running consistently...

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on February 26, 2014, 10:45:53 PM
- Firefox has focused on memory management to the point that it should always be less then the multi-instance chrome
- Generally more stable release cycles that don't break working stuff very ofen
- Long term support releases available
- STILL has superior plugins.. Firebug and Adblock Plus (fairly sure the Chrome version still does not have feature parity)

ONE word of warning however since you are JUST now thinking of switching to Firefox, the NEXT release will have a big UI change... BE WARNED!

I'm already liking what I see and since I'm getting back into a new UI I'm not that worried about it. I started using it last night pretty hard, the only gripe I have is when you are on a YouTube page it seems to eat shortcut commands (may be set to use Flash rather than HTML 5? not sure)

Quote from: Darren Dirt on February 27, 2014, 08:29:00 AM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on February 26, 2014, 10:16:04 PM

At work here I am apparently on 33 (I installed it myself in my local profile, so I can actually update it on my locked-down machine!) and I don't know of this bogging-down stuff you mention.

Then again, maybe I just write off all slowness and instability on Service Alberta doing its usual terribad job at keeping the IT infrastructure up and running consistently...

When I do artwork I run on my venerable XP machine which isn't the beefiest thing in the world but when I already have memory heavy apps running (like Photoshop) but I usually keep a few tabs open so I can chat to people via social media, forums, etc and the difference between running Chrome 33 and Firefox was immense.

I thought it was getting close to retire my old machine but in fact it was Chrome gobbling up everything and more. The funny thing as well is if one tab got locked up it would lock up all Chrome processes (even ones in other windows).

So I'm back on Firefox, it's BETTER
FASTER
HARDER

WORK IT WORK IT WORK IT
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on February 27, 2014, 10:03:49 AM

When I do artwork I run on my venerable XP machine which isn't the beefiest thing in the world but when I already have memory heavy apps running (like Photoshop) but I usually keep a few tabs open so I can chat to people via social media, forums, etc and the difference between running Chrome 33 and Firefox was immense.

I thought it was getting close to retire my old machine but in fact it was Chrome gobbling up everything and more.

Quick test just now on my work PC... Task Manager::Physical Memory:: Free=1157MB
no Chrome running: 1157MB

Launch Chrome and only go to this ( http://forums.righteouswrath.com/index.php?topic=9796.0 ) page:
Task Manager: 788MB

1157-788 equals ... carry the two ... plus six... equals HOLY @%&# WHY SO MUCH RAM (369MB!) TO RENDER A SINGLE SIMPLE FORUM PAGE?

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Melbosa

Because all of chrome is loaded in a single combined memory space.  Internet Explorer is moduler - kill Internet Explorer and watch Explorer get all confused for a bit... .  Firefox can get the same way as Chrome over time, but usually fixes a bit when a new version is installed.

The only one of the three that updates without requiring new registry keys, new folder structures or new file pointers is Chrome... you also pay for that in resourcing as well I would guess.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Lazybones

Chrome runs a near full instance for each tab. Firefox sandboxes most things but does not.

In a multi tab shoot out the combined memory of all chrome instances should be much greater than Firefox. They where headed the same direction as chrome but changed.

As Mel pointed out IE hides memory use in common services and dlls. The browser instance memory is almost completely separate from the window that you see in task manager using very little memory.

Mr. Analog

I was going to say, part of the problem is you are running a new instance on each tab, you can kill an individual tab process and it will be ok (good luck finding which tab is what). What I find messed up is one tab can still block all the others, so I don't know what shared processes there are between instances but it's easy from one tab to lock up the rest (on 33 anyway).

At any rate, it's half baked and I'm done. Still posting from Chrome on my laptop here but that's mostly just reflex.

It's sad really, when I made the move to Chrome the downside was alway memory, but the gains were speed, a clean UI and reliability... now that those are all broken I'm done with this, there is no benefit to using Chrome at all.

I banish it to the land of wind and ghosts
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Yay, google updated the linux debian stable package to 33! WOO!

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

So I switched back to firefox not too long after the debian 33 switch. But man, firefox is just as annoying. Facebook causes the entire thing to lock up for a few seconds at a time. Something seems to be causing connections to take forever to happen.

It's aggravating. I want the old chrome and firefox back.