Mr. Analog

No. 1 jaaaaaaaaam of the summer
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Thorin

And yet, and yet, there are still people who defend him viciously.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Thorin on November 19, 2013, 03:44:17 PM

Folks from the T to the O apparently love to be the Center Of The Universe.

Got their wish.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on November 19, 2013, 03:44:17 PM

To be honest I'm surprised how long this is stretching on, I mean there's video evidence and a confession of illicit drug use, is there nothing that can eject his butt from office? Is that really how that works??

The mind boggles.

Also it tells you a lot about the average voter in the GTA...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

He didn't do anything IN OFFICE bad enough to get kicked and he hasn't been arrested so it is in limbo.

The councils only other measure is to disband and force and election.

It's technically a private issue.

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Lazybones on November 20, 2013, 09:03:19 AM
He didn't do anything IN OFFICE bad enough to get kicked and he hasn't been arrested so it is in limbo.

The councils only other measure is to disband and force and election.

It's technically a private issue.

Yes, technically... but a similar type of thing made for a realistic story arc in "House Of Cards", while this Toronto Situation is definitely abnormal when it comes to "private" scandals of politicians. The usual routine is "angrily deny, passively deny, get caught and then emotionally admit + resign, rebuild a new career a couple months or years later [often as a host on a cable news network]". Here we've got a Guy Who Gets Results saying "screw you, I'm good at my job, forget about my personal issues!"  :P

Mr. Analog

Heh, that's actually a valid point I guess, atypical behaviour though for a politician in these media saturated days
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Some of the defenders point out how much money he's saving the city.  When questioned about details on how he's saving this money, they don't have any.  When asked how changing from a paid-by-the-province LRT to a paid-by-the-city $1bil subway system isn't going to cost the city a billion more than if he'd just gone home and did some crack, they come up with ridiculous complaints about how streetcars increase congestion (unlike the streetcars, the LRT has its own right-of-way areas so wouldn't add to street congestion).

His personal life is a mess, for the past fourteen years he has vehemently denied, then admitted, then apologized for substance abuse.  The pattern is that he'll lie about it until it's absolutely impossible to maintain the lie, then admit and apologize and say it's in the past and he's only human.  Well, apologies only work if you learn from your mistakes and change your behaviour, something he's clearly not doing.

His political life is full of lies and misdirection as well.  He claims to be saving the city billions but can't produce actual numbers.  Their property taxes still went up last year, wouldn't those drop if the city was spending less?  Other than try to build up power in the mayor's office by taking power away from councillors, and trying to redirect city funds to the kids' football teams he's involved in, has he accomplished anything actually worthwhile politically?

One thing's for sure - he said he wants to run for Prime Minister someday, but no party is going to ever allow him to become their leader.  Said party would likely lose every seat they had in the House.

Silver lining - Jon Stewart has had it super-easy the last few weeks, there's too much comedy gold there.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Thorin on November 20, 2013, 11:47:47 AM
His personal life is a mess, for the past fourteen years he has vehemently denied, then admitted, then apologized for substance abuse.  The pattern is that he'll lie about it until it's absolutely impossible to maintain the lie, then admit and apologize and say it's in the past and he's only human.  Well, apologies only work if you learn from your mistakes and change your behaviour, something he's clearly not doing.

Quote from: Darren Dirt on November 20, 2013, 09:21:49 AM
...when it comes to "private" scandals of politicians. The usual routine is "angrily deny, passively deny, get caught and then emotionally admit + resign, rebuild a new career a couple months or years later...

I think the problem is his "apologies" were more like angry "you caught me, oh well, SHUT UP!" rather than humble "I made mistakes, I will stop and get help if necessary..." which is what makes this such an interesting car accident of a political scandal situation -- because it's not heading in the typical direction. As Stewart as said a few times, WHAT will it take for this guy to lose his job? (because he has admitted to doing some of those questionable activites ON THE JOB, not just in his free time after-hours!)

Canadians are too polite... We say sorry to the rude SOB who slams into US walking on the sidewalk, heck some of us out of habit start to say sorry to the DORR when we bump into it!

Darren Dirt

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/11/21/rob-ford-begins-political-rehab-with-speech-to-business-elite-as-city-claims-scandal-hasnt-hurt-torontos-finances/
Ford's heavily damaged brand led the City of Toronto to release an extraordinary statement Thursday to clarify that the international media coverage of the mayor's drug scandal has not affected the economic stability of the city.

"Recent events at City Hall have had absolutely no impact on our costs or our ability to borrow funds," City Manager Joe Pennachetti said in the statement. "The City of Toronto interest rate spreads remain stable in relation to the underlying Province of Ontario bonds and in relation to other municipalities."

...Ford has been figuratively and literally isolated since Monday's unprecedented city council vote to transfer many of his powers to Deputy Mayor Norm Kelly. He lost more half of his office space and staff to the deputy mayor, earlier this week.

I guess if they can't FIRE you, they can make you FEEL fired...

And this kind of mock-celebratory celebrity response doesn't help this get taken seriously...
http://arts.nationalpost.com/2013/11/21/rob-fords-2014-mayoral-campaign-gets-a-theme-song-from-ron-burgundy-watch-will-ferrell-perform-on-conan/
(go home Ron Burgundy, you're drunk!)

...nor does this satire of "what if this eventually is a movie pitch?"
"...this started out like Tommy Boy, but then it turned into Leaving Las Vegas...

Sympathy, nay COMPASSION for this clearly messed up trainwreck soon to go off the rails? Comes from an unlikely source...
Spoiler

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/munecv
dear Mayor Rob Ford,
the only truth or correct reporting in today's
repulsive story regarding
my alleged comments about you,
is the accurate spelling of your great city.
your personal life is and never would be,
any of my business.
I'm sorry for any grief this may have caused.
if I can be of any assistance
in any capacity in this
media cesspool,
please accept the noble offer of my steady
hand and compassionate heart.
respectfully,
charlie sheen.
[close]

:blink: