Shaw vs Telus

Started by Thorin, December 19, 2011, 02:42:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

If it's lower than 720 I don't watch it (j/k) lol
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Hmm, or maybe I will crack the limit...  I stopped leeching on Jan 3, I stopped seeding on Jan 8, Jan 9 I'm still 47GB higher than I was on Jan 3.  That's 47GB in 6 days, or roughly 8GB/day.  Mind you, 35GB of that was seeding, so 12GB in 6 days means my household uses 2GB/day not including any downloading or torrenting.

And it's probably all Youtube videos and Facebook games.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

Hm, I hit 306G so far this month. A bit more than I was expecting. But then I think something large has snuck into my backups. I'll have to figure out what that is.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Thorin

I can't find anything about the Bump-Up program on the Shaw website anymore...  I wonder if they decided to cancel that, or something?
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on January 12, 2012, 01:52:11 AM
I can't find anything about the Bump-Up program on the Shaw website anymore...  I wonder if they decided to cancel that, or something?
They seem to have removed all of the interesting stuff. The page with the new plans and availability dates of the new speeds (Is that going to happen now? is 50mbps ever going to get 5mbps up now??), and then removed the old plans? That sucks, they said they were keeping the old plans.

My tentative hunch is maybe they can't give the originally announced upstream speeds, and can't manage the bump-up program properly so they are dropping all of that? I dunno.

Thorin

Plans: http://shaw.ca/Internet/Compare-Plans/

They still have High Speed Lite, High Speed, and Extreme.  Although looking at the prices why would you ever pick High Speed when High Speed 10 is cheaper with a faster download?  Or for that matter, why wouldn't you switch from Extreme to Broadband 50 as it's three dollars more and double download and upload speed and 150GB more monthly data allowance?

Anyway, this page shows the upload speeds, which match the stuff that's in Google Cache from when they first announced the new packages.

My problem is more that I might go over my monthly data allowance and I want to know what'll happen.  They used to say that we would get bumped up to the next package and what the order of the packages was, but now I can't find any information on that anymore.

Hey Mr. A., you should call up Shaw and switch your internet package from Extreme to Broadband 50.  I'm sure three bucks a month more won't break ya :)
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on January 12, 2012, 08:58:20 AM

They still have High Speed Lite, High Speed, and Extreme.  Although looking at the prices why would you ever pick High Speed when High Speed 10 is cheaper with a faster download?  Or for that matter, why wouldn't you switch from Extreme to Broadband 50 as it's three dollars more and double download and upload speed and 150GB more monthly data allowance?

Anyway, this page shows the upload speeds, which match the stuff that's in Google Cache from when they first announced the new packages.

My problem is more that I might go over my monthly data allowance and I want to know what'll happen.  They used to say that we would get bumped up to the next package and what the order of the packages was, but now I can't find any information on that anymore.

Hey Mr. A., you should call up Shaw and switch your internet package from Extreme to Broadband 50.  I'm sure three bucks a month more won't break ya :)
The 3mbps for the BB50 plan was supposed to be temporary. They were going to upgrade that to 5mbps when they finished upgrading the network (and the 100 plan would get 10mbps upload). I should fish out the information packet they gave us at the community meeting thing I went to.

Thorin

Quote from: Tom on January 12, 2012, 09:13:54 AM

[..] this page shows the upload speeds

The 3mbps for the BB50 plan was supposed to be temporary. They were going to upgrade that to 5mbps when they finished upgrading the network (and the 100 plan would get 10mbps upload).

Okay, maybe you missed it or maybe you didn't click the link.  Check the image, BB50 is 5mbps up, BB100 is 10mbps up, BB250 is 15mbps up (or faster up than Telus is down).
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Thorin

Darren, when you move and get Shaw hooked up, please consider using Refer-a-Friend from Tom.  He'll get credits on his bill, $25 per service you sign up for.  And I'm sure Tom wouldn't mind getting some credits on his bill :)

https://shaw.ca/Secure/Refer-A-Friend/
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on January 12, 2012, 01:23:31 PM
Quote from: Tom on January 12, 2012, 09:13:54 AM

[..] this page shows the upload speeds

The 3mbps for the BB50 plan was supposed to be temporary. They were going to upgrade that to 5mbps when they finished upgrading the network (and the 100 plan would get 10mbps upload).

Okay, maybe you missed it or maybe you didn't click the link.  Check the image, BB50 is 5mbps up, BB100 is 10mbps up, BB250 is 15mbps up (or faster up than Telus is down).
Weird, It said three for me :o It still does. You set your location to St. Albert I assume? I guess that explains that, you guys got your upgrade.

Quote from: Thorin on January 12, 2012, 01:29:38 PM
Darren, when you move and get Shaw hooked up, please consider using Refer-a-Friend from Tom.  He'll get credits on his bill, $25 per service you sign up for.  And I'm sure Tom wouldn't mind getting some credits on his bill :)

That would be awesome actually. As it is, its incredibly pointless now to drop down to Extreme, and they don't list the prices without TV so I don't know what I'd save by doing that, probably only $10. Savings used to be $20 for sure. But $10 isn't really worth it, specially since I have to go down to a shaw store to return the hd box.

Thorin

Oh damn...  Yeah, I set my location to St Albert.  I keep forgetting about their stupid location-based changes to their site.  I'm guessing Edmonton will eventually go up to the same as St Albert.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on January 12, 2012, 02:32:19 PM
Oh damn...  Yeah, I set my location to St Albert.  I keep forgetting about their stupid location-based changes to their site.  I'm guessing Edmonton will eventually go up to the same as St Albert.
It's being done neigbourhood by neigbourhood. When they have all the people using analog cable chopped down to only /basic/ analog channels (or all digital) then they turn off all analog channels above like channel 30, and use the freed up bandwidth for internet and phone.

Darren Dirt

k.

Prolly gonna be lazy and bring Telus with me at first, then hook up Shaw at same time to do some comparorizing like you did, before giving Telus the pink slip. Will be internetz only, Tom, no telly, sorry but one timesink is enough for me ;)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Tom

Quote from: Darren Dirt on January 12, 2012, 03:35:27 PM

k.

Prolly gonna be lazy and bring Telus with me at first, then hook up Shaw at same time to do some comparorizing like you did, before giving Telus the pink slip. Will be internetz only, Tom, no telly, sorry but one timesink is enough for me ;)
You won't save much not getting "PTV". On the old info, it was a whole $10. But hey, thats still $10 saved. Also the internet packages /come with/ PTV, so you have to explicitly un-request tv.

Darren Dirt

I guess I forgot that Peasantvision might be different now that it ain't analog-over-the-air. But tbh I and the kids are used to using YT + streaming sites for the occasional TV episode fix, and they have Netflix at their house apparently so if I can avoid the "I'm bored what's on click click click" temptation that I used to engage in, that's worth more than the "value" of a low $ cost. But good to know.

Strive for progress. Not perfection.