External Hard Drives

Started by Darren Dirt, December 23, 2006, 09:16:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

Memory Express is where I plan on going to pick up some blank CDs/DVDs, but I have also been considering picking up an external hard drive.

I check the ME website, WOW what a deal:

Maxtor 300GB OneTouch III External Hard Drive, USB 2.0
http://www.memoryexpress.com/index.php?PageTag=&page=file&memx_menu=EmbedProductDetail.php&DisplayProductID=8981

Am I wrong? Is that a killer sweet price or what?

The "Christmas Deals" page lists a few other external drives, but nothing as low a price... is there anything wrong with the Maxtors? (compared to, say, the WD models that are also listed).

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Tom

Its not bad for an external drive, usually they mark them up a lot more...

Samsung SpinPoint PATA 8MB cache 300GB: 99.95$
Vantec USB2 Enclosure: 49.95$

total: $149.90
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Shayne

You can do a lot better then that.

Maxtor 300GB @ $179.95 = $0.60/GB
LaCie 250GB @ $89.00 = $0.36/GB
Do it yourself samsung @ $149.90 = $0.50/GB

...your Maxtor is nearly double the cost per GB.  Shop around and wait for a deal if you can.  I got mine through Dell when they did their Dell Days of Deals a couple months back.  They do the deal days once every 6-8 weeks it seems.

Free shipping on the Dell too (took about 3 days to arrive)

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Tom on December 23, 2006, 10:22:56 AM
Vantec USB2 Enclosure: 49.95$

I also noticed that they sell USB2 enclosures separately as well... I think I just want a convenient, plug-and-use type of magicbox, cuz I'm seriously considering getting a mid-range laptop in the new year (in the spring, as the fiscal year ends for most companies) and having a 300GB external would make file transfers etc. a snap.

Does using a USB enclosure have any downsides compared to just getting a standalone external?

PS: Shayne, thanks for that info... Makes me confused, now, why Memory Express has in their Big Christmas Promo Page, such a -- so it appears -- not-so-good deal... Or maybe the Maxtor they're selling is new and/or has features beyond the one you got from Dell? (e.g. cache, shock protection, power consumption?)

Lazybones

The USB 2 enclosures should give you the same benefit, as well as let you put in larger cheaper drives down the road.

Shayne

Quote from: Darren Dirt on December 23, 2006, 11:24:09 AMPS: Shayne, thanks for that info... Makes me confused, now, why Memory Express has in their Big Christmas Promo Page, such a -- so it appears -- not-so-good deal... Or maybe the Maxtor they're selling is new and/or has features beyond the one you got from Dell? (e.g. cache, shock protection, power consumption?)

I'm not going to research this for you, but I purchased mine to be a backup drive.  It sits on top of my PC and hasn't moved since the day I took it out of the box.  If paying double is what you are into, then go on ahead.

Lazybones

The reason is Dell purchase those things the crazy high volumes and probably got a big discount from Maxtor at the time.. Dell deals are often very short term.

Darren Dirt

Looks like, yup, that was a HUGE discount that isn't available anymore.

$189 is now the price for Shayne's drive.

Maybe I'll drop by ME and check out the USB2 enclosures and wait until a huge price drop on a SATA II drive that can be used in the enclosure...

Shayne

Yup, they last 24 hours and normally sell out before then.  That is why I said "Shop around and wait for a deal if you can."

Tom

Want a good dollar/GB? Memory express seems to have a 500GB MaxLine Pro SATAII for 179.95, $0.36 (0.03599) per GB. Boxing day only.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Lazybones

Samsung 300GB SpinPoint T133 7200rpm ATA w/ 8MB Cache  are only $99.95    making them only 0.33/GB

Seagate 320GB Barracuda 7200.10 ATA w/ 16MB Cache for  $114.95    also $0.36/GB

The 500 are a great deal but I though I would point these other two out as they are also good deals if you are building a raid... For single drive costs those 500 are awesome....  unless your file server only has ATA connections.. :(