New Digital PCS Phone

Started by Mr. Analog, October 11, 2007, 09:47:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

Hey guys, I've been looking for a new phone and I sorta fell in love with the Nokia E70 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_E70) but I don't think it's available anymore in Canada, ultimately I'd like a phone with similar features that isn't a huge brick. Any ideas?

I also have to consider the carrier, I have a good plan with Telus but every provider has an equally good plan.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

If it's the full keyboard you're after, the Bell Double-flip might work for you.

If it's the large display, you might like the Bell Nokia 6275i or Telus LG Shine (I think that's an LG 8700).

I guess it depends on what it is you like most about the E70...
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Standout features (for me):

• Push to talk
  • POP3, IMAP4, SMTP E-mail
  • SIP client for VoIP calls
  • WiFi (802.11b/g) with WEP/WPA
  • Bluetooth with up to six concurrent connections (though only one can be a headset).
  • Speaker-independent voice calls and commands
  • Speech synthesis mode for visually impaired
  • Mini QWERTY fold-out keyboard
  • Polyphonic tones and MP3 playback
  • Vibrating alert
  • HF speakerphone

ULTIMATELY I'm interested in something with tactile buttons that is as open as possible feature-wise. I have no problem buying the phone through an outside source and activating it but I really don't know where I could get the phone i want (the E70) so I thought I'd ask about more moderne equivalents.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Mr. Analog

Yeah but that's a bit like jumping into the deep end if you're clueless about these nefangled gizmos, maybe I'll go back to can and string lol
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Well if you want the details on all the Telus phones go to the Telus subform, post the details of what you want and you should get back some good options.

As a note, you can only use Telus phones on the Telus network... If you switch to Rogers/Fido you could import the phone of your choice.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on October 11, 2007, 10:56:10 PM
Well if you want the details on all the Telus phones go to the Telus subform, post the details of what you want and you should get back some good options.

As a note, you can only use Telus phones on the Telus network... If you switch to Rogers/Fido you could import the phone of your choice.

I took your advice and had a poke around, I may get a phone I want and activate it through another provider once I've read through each of their conditions etc.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Telus CDMA phones only work on Telus
Bell CDMA phones only work on Bell

MANY GSM phones can be Unlocked to work on Rogers or Fido but you need to make sure they support the right frequency.

Then again purchasing the phone from the provider under a contract is the cheapest and easiest option.

Lazybones

looks like the Nokia E70 is a GSM phone so the only option would be Rogers/Fido.