Multi-track audio recording

Started by Mr. Analog, June 06, 2008, 01:03:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

Back in the time of dinosaurs (or at least the first Matrix) CoolEdit16 was pretty much the @%&# when it came to inexpensive multi-track audio recording on computer for under a hundred bones. Now, things have advanced 8 years and Mr. Analog finds that he has need for multi-track recording on computer.

Now I just bought a new book on "moderne" recording techniques (but this is mostly about hardware tweaking, understanding terminology and greping the science of music), but I know at least one forum member has had some experience with the industry and might offer some suggestions.

If not, I'll likely follow up with my own research later.

BONUS QUESTION: Does anyone know if FruityLoops can be used as a MIDI controller?

I'm just asking because for the price of a FL license including multi-track recorder, voice bank and sampling tools is about the same as actually just buying a half-decent MIDI controller / drum machine.

Anyway, off I go!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Lazybones on June 06, 2008, 08:08:41 PM
Not for midi but for regular audio editing there is audacity http://audacity.sourceforge.net/about/features

Audacity owns. I have used it for everything from recording internet radio streams to trimming Simpsons sound files to reversing Cloverfield-ending audio to re-mixing podcasts and audio sources from news sites and presidents etc.

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

My question is this, can I record multiple track layers and edit each layer individually?

For example, I lay down a beat track, a bass track and four additional tracks. If I decide I want to add flange to the bass track and change the pitch of one of my additional tracks, I can just select the track I want to edit and make my change or rerecord that track altogether.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on June 07, 2008, 12:08:11 PM
can I record multiple track layers and edit each layer individually?

Absotively posolutely. Easy to break stereo into 2 mono tracks, shift tracks so you can have 2 different monologues become a dialogue, etc. (all those things I have done, obv. can be done with musical content too ;) )

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Darren Dirt on June 08, 2008, 12:11:44 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on June 07, 2008, 12:08:11 PM
can I record multiple track layers and edit each layer individually?

Absotively posolutely. Easy to break stereo into 2 mono tracks, shift tracks so you can have 2 different monologues become a dialogue, etc. (all those things I have done, obv. can be done with musical content too ;) )

What if I have two or more stereo tracks that I want to mix and edit? I mean if I'm going to fade an effect left to right on my keyboard or my kaos pads I'd like to preserve that during editing.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

I've only used it for pretty simple stuff, but I don't recall a limit to # of tracks you can goof around with; whether or not it is easy to do what you're looking for, I can't say.

Just play around with it for a few hours and you'll see for yourself... Considering it is open-source, it's got an amazing # of features and I am sure there's plenty of audio hobbyists that participate in forums and discuss ways of doing things (like how so many Photochoppers share techniques and systematic ways of doing Cool Stuph).

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Darren Dirt on June 09, 2008, 09:46:56 AM
I've only used it for pretty simple stuff, but I don't recall a limit to # of tracks you can goof around with; whether or not it is easy to do what you're looking for, I can't say.

Ah ok, from your previous description it sounded like you could only edit the Left and Right audio source.

I may give it a whirl tonight.

Thanks Darren.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

np my friend... Overall, especially for the money ;) it's a pretty ____ piece of software.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Darren Dirt on June 09, 2008, 10:00:23 AM
np my friend... Overall, especially for the money ;) it's a pretty ____ piece of software.

If I get it rolling I'll post some phat beats later :)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on June 09, 2008, 10:09:04 AM

ooo... like the inpsiring Mr. Gjertsen? ;) Looking forward to it, Dee Jay!

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Darren Dirt on June 09, 2008, 11:46:07 AM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on June 09, 2008, 10:09:04 AM

ooo... like the inpsiring Mr. Gjertsen? ;) Looking forward to it, Dee Jay!

MAXIMUM!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Well, Audacity rocks pretty good.

Multi-track recording CHECK
Monitor function CHECK
Beat detection CHECK

It's got a bunch of plug-in filters as well, but most of those effects I can do with the synthesizer much more easily.
By Grabthar's Hammer